Canadian Man Weds Roi Et Woman, Offers Dowry Worth Bt100 Million

webfact

Good for her! And good of him to stress education to a loved one

So you support the greed of Thai people treating foreign men as a credit card which does not need to be repaid and do you also support men for being absolute fools in paying this kind of money even though this is not part of the Thai culture?

Sin Sot exists in Thai culture (as the Coconuts article sates), but it is based on a system of negotiation (Coconuts mysteriously neglects to include this for its' English speaking audience!) depending on not only who the husband is, but who the wife is, who her family is. The family are a farming family, of which most lease land and do not own it - only a small group of people own the agricultural land in Thailand. She was working as a waitress, which is not considered a high-up or desirable job. She is now educated, but one might speculate (without Coconuts providing sufficient information) where the funding for her university level education came from - it is doubtful a farmer could pay for someone to undertake their PHD. In this situation you could either consider (assuming the groom had paid for her education) that this cost would be included in the Sin Sot, and that her situation be considered prior to the two engaging - the daughter of a farmers family working as a waitress in a restaurant. There is also a "farang mark up" placed on many for sin sot payments, of which there exists no cultural reason for this to take place and is simply discriminatory based on not being a Thai man.

Hopefully others do read this post and take this into consideration when being asked to pay a sin sot for their loved one in the future..

I would add to the negotiations&requirements the following:

- the previous relationship history of the woman (men do not count, this is Thailand after all)

- the status of if bride: is she virgin or not, the moment she has previous sexual history the price bride could consider paying goes down faster than a buffalos tail

- and the fact that sin sot was actually culturally based on lack of laws protecting woman in case of divorce: it was to be paid to the woman in case her husband dumps her, so she has something to fall on. This is not current state of Thailand for long time anymore. Now sin sot is just for show as laws have changed and women also have started to work outside the home, if you have not noticed

• Like 1

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite enjoy seeing the wealth spread around. I see the import of educating the spouse and hope it extends to the children. People seem to think we actually own things, but we are just care givers whilst we are alive. Letting go is a good thing in many ways. Want nothing and you will have everything.

Really, a wealthy man is not really a man with wealth.

But we earn the right to become care givers over our possessions either by hard work as previously mentioned, by strong arming those that have earnt through hard work, or stealing and/or begging for those possessions that have earnt them through hard work. All three are prevalent in the modern world, but only one of them is the honest approach. This is the core of the Sin Sot argument and what the payment is actually used for.

As the law currently stands in Thailand the groom could not legally claim to "own" any of the land for which he purchased, though he could own the townhouses (but not the land they stand on), he may very well have been gifted the gold and cash back, or it may have been given to "the family" to provide for them.. a la funding members of the family who do not wish to work and see your white Farang face much like a Charles Schwaub bank card to fund their "Leo lifestyle".

When looking to marry it is important to realise you are marrying the family too, and that if the family is not willing to meet you halfway you will need to walk away from your loved one if she will not walk way from her family. That is, unless you want to become a slave to someone too broken to shape their own prosperity, or a farmer being herded by the sheep.

Thanks so much for all your expert pontification. Now we can all sleep better

since you have so clearly revealed to us all the secrets of Thai culture and

farang-Thai relationships.

Excuse me while I go barf.

Hahaha. You're so funny. What are you, like, thirteen years old? Probably endowed with as much depth as a puddle after a Bangkok rain. And I'm sure everyone on TV is prejudiced except you. You "hyper-generalize" about TV members hyper-generalizing, but then, give your level of sophistication, I would expect that that went right over your head.

Hmmm... a very weak non-sensical retort.

I'm probably old enough to be your daddy.

And wise enough to see through your bs.

I wouldn't doubt it. Thailand is god's waiting room of sorts. You couldn't debate your way out of a paper bag. All you've got is: "a weak non-sensical retort"?! Care to explain? How about you answer the question in my original post, ya doofus, before you start spouting off adjectives about my posts that offer zero in way of expalanation, analysis or thought. All this is probably a waste of time though, as you clearly are incapable of staying on point and actually addressing the claims you made. If I say most Thai girls lack education, am I wrong? What if I say that the Thais are poor? Am I a raging racist? What if I say that the Thai work ethic is lacking? Oooh, I bet that one will really get your racism-police-sirens going. The last assertion is a statement of fact, readily agreed upon by Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thais, and, of course, farang managers who've worked in Thailand. It's probably one of the main reasons Thailand will never have as dynamic an economy as Korea (see Marc Faber's comments on that, and he LOVES Thailand). I just had a conversation with a Thai-Chinese family I am close to regarding their daughter's university aspirations in which the mother admitted to me her concern regarding the former's work ethic as shaped in Thailand. But I'll bet she's a racist too. I want you to tell me how racist I am for reading and knowing facts (things which you are clearly unfamiliar with) in your cutsey, geriatric little existence wherein you get to fire baseless missives at other forum posters to compensate for a lifetime of missed opportunities and improper use of punctuation.

Edited by Unkomoncents

[...] Maybe Thais don't deserve the reputation that the have, but I'd venture to say that stereotypes exist for a reason. It's not like someone just spontaneously decided one day that Americans are culturally insensitive, or the French are rude, or the Japanese ethnically insular and the half of humanity bought into it willy-nilly. Thai women have a reputation, and foreign men are advised to tread lightly for a reason. Do you disagree?

May I suggest that you read the following webpages?

http://french.about.com/cs/culture/a/rudefrench.htm

http://www.bonjourparis.com/story/are-french-rude/

Why do I need to read that? Do I need to see another implied, quixotic, culturally-relative explication of how white American (or European, depending on how you like your non-sense) males supposedly generated all the world's ill-will and negative stereotypes? The second article goes into about how "France has a different culture..." Yes, France does have a different culture. That doesn't make the French not rude, especially compared with Thais or Costa Ricans or the Irish. In that very piece, the author cites a French study in which the French themselves say that they are conceited. Ask the British or the Germans, better yet, just watch Angela Merkel's face when she talks with Francois Hollande. I don't need a lesson in different cultures. I have lived and worked in Korea, Singapore, Thailand, and Ecuador. I am very familiar with the intracacies of working with different cultures, and, as I am married to a Thai and have a Thai family, I think I am more than equiped to figure out when a stereotype is baseless. Stereotypes, after all, hardly reflect the characteristics of some or even most of the people they are supposed to describe. That's why stereotypes should be treated cautiously. My argument was that stereotypes exist for a reason.

Hahaha. You're so funny. What are you, like, thirteen years old? Probably endowed with as much depth as a puddle after a Bangkok rain. And I'm sure everyone on TV is prejudiced except you. You "hyper-generalize" about TV members hyper-generalizing, but then, give your level of sophistication, I would expect that that went right over your head.

I wouldn't doubt it. Thailand is god's waiting room of sorts. You couldn't debate your way out of a paper bag. All you've got is: "a weak non-sensical retort"?! Care to explain? How about you answer the question in my original post, ya doofus, before you start spouting off adjectives about my posts that offer zero in way of expalanation, analysis or thought. All this is probably a waste of time though, as you clearly are incapable of staying on point and actually addressing the claims you made. If I say most Thai girls lack education, am I wrong? What if I say that the Thais are poor? Am I a raging racist? What if I say that the Thai work ethic is lacking? Oooh, I bet that one will really get your racism-police-sirens going. The last assertion is a statement of fact, readily agreed upon by Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thais, and, of course, farang managers who've worked in Thailand. It's probably one of the main reasons Thailand will never have as dynamic an economy as Korea (see Marc Faber's comments on that, and he LOVES Thailand). I just had a conversation with a Thai-Chinese family I am close to regarding their daughter's university aspirations in which the mother admitted to me her concern regarding the former's work ethic as shaped in Thailand. But I'll bet she's a racist too. I want you to tell me how racist I am for reading and knowing facts (things which you are clearly unfamiliar with) in your cutsey, geriatric little existence wherein you get to fire baseless missives at other forum posters to compensate for a lifetime of missed opportunities and improper use of punctuation.

"Hahaha. You're so funny. What are you, like, thirteen years old?"

Ok, smart guy. You tell me how intelligent this retort is and then I'll consider wasting my time responding to all your mindless drivel.

"Hahaha. You're so funny. What are you, like, thirteen years old?"

Ok, smart guy. You tell me how intelligent this retort is and then I'll consider wasting my time responding to all your mindless drivel.

I asked you a question and you replied with this: "Let me guess... you have an advanced degree in Stereotyping." In what universe is that a "mindful" response to a legitimate question?

Please be mindful of the Thaivisa.com Forum Rules, particularly:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Given the news article topic, some leeway is given, as we understand it is a contentious topic. However, please don't push the limits on this leeway otherwise warnings, and possible suspensions, may be issued.

• Like 1

Boy oh boy.....If he only knew what he really has done.....I wonder if he would still do it...I vehemently agree with Cardholder...."Just say "NO!!!!" I almost got caught in this web of deceit and treachery but I managed to extricate myself with the help of a 78 year old Thai woman who understood what I was mixed up with and was good enough to advise me on what to do. This is about mutual respect of each other's culture and as such both parties must be 100% upfront and honest. I wish him and her well but he has definitely set a bad example for the farang community.

You paid sin sot for a 78yo woman ?

I admit I skipped through it, so if I missed anything...my bad

Geez dude. We've seen some skipping, but that's bad, even for here. Evidently you saw "78 year old woman," and started typing asap. :)

Do you walk with a white cane by any chance? Other than the central man-made lake in the middle of town, there is nothing to distinguish this isolated dump from any other Thai small town anywhere in Thailand. IMHO of course.

I am 28 years old, I assure you I do not walk with a cane smile.png

I love Roi Et, it has one of the most beautiful lakes that I have seen in Thailand, the locals actually get out and run around the lakefront in the evening. They have a basketball court for people to play basketball,which a lot of the students go and play ball at (I go and play with them when I am in Roi Et), which seems to keep many occupied and out of trouble.

It has one of the best night markets I have seen in Thailand, with a huge variety of both mains and Kanom that I have been able to find in one place. Accommodation is a bargain for money and they only issue I could find with Roi Et is that there is not much to do in the evenings, no party places, no Cinema, no Bowling or anything like that. But this is how rural Thailand has been for a long time.

I also love Roi Et, because I am learning to play the Khaen and some of the best Khaens made come from the province.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

But we earn the right to become care givers over our possessions either by hard work as previously mentioned, by strong arming those that have earnt through hard work, or stealing and/or begging for those possessions that have earnt them through hard work. All three are prevalent in the modern world, but only one of them is the honest approach. This is the core of the Sin Sot argument and what the payment is actually used for.

As the law currently stands in Thailand the groom could not legally claim to "own" any of the land for which he purchased, though he could own the townhouses (but not the land they stand on), he may very well have been gifted the gold and cash back, or it may have been given to "the family" to provide for them.. a la funding members of the family who do not wish to work and see your white Farang face much like a Charles Schwaub bank card to fund their "Leo lifestyle".

When looking to marry it is important to realise you are marrying the family too, and that if the family is not willing to meet you halfway you will need to walk away from your loved one if she will not walk way from her family. That is, unless you want to become a slave to someone too broken to shape their own prosperity, or a farmer being herded by the sheep.

Thanks so much for all your expert pontification. Now we can all sleep better

since you have so clearly revealed to us all the secrets of Thai culture and

farang-Thai relationships.

Excuse me while I go barf.

Thank you for demonstrating your expert arrogance in responding to a post you feel too superior to contribute to. Please close the door whilst you barf. When you come out, and a lass takes you by the hand, sticks a blindfold on you and tells you "everything will be OK honey my family are good people", then you get duped.. you may want to come back and read posts such as mine and others to understand the mistakes you made alone your path to oblivion. Then again, with a name like "BradInAsia", I assume you already see yourself as not part of Asia, but something to add to Asia which they have never had before, and already above the locals. So I guess you are upset at me writing something you assume everyone already knows..