Real Ales And British Beers In Phuket.....not Many But Some

BestBitterPhuket

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Villa Market, from having ZERO English beers, now has 21 different ales from 5 British breweries. Its a miracle!

They are now selling beers from powerhouse breweries such as St Austell, Hook Norton and Wadworth. They are also selling beers from British newcomers, Sambrook's and The Beer Kitchen.

Special recommendations are: Hook Norton's 12 Days (a strong brown ale), St Austell's Admiral Ale (which resembles Fuller's ESB), St Austell's Tribute beer (the brewery's flagship beer), The Beer Kitchen Espresso Stout, Hook Norton's Old Hooky, Hook Norton's Gold, Hook Norton's Flagship (IPA), Wadworth 6X (a great bitter) and Sambrook's Wandle ale. There are other good ones too.

Prices are quite steep compared to Fuller's and Greene King, but hey we don't buy English beers to save money.

In Bangkok specialty shops like Wishbeer - www.wishbeer.com - have just started selling beers from Wells & Young, and have great beers like Well's Bombardier and Waggle Dance, and Young's Special London Ale and Double Chocolate Stout.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update of original first post:

Supermarkets:

- Tesco Lotus (Bypass): Fuller's London Pride, Porter and ESB (Sadly, it seems that they stopped selling after reorganizing)

- Small minimart in the arrival area of Phuket airport, selling small bottles of London Pride (Stopped selling)

(NEW!!!! Villa Market in Chalong is now selling beers from 5 English breweries, Wadworth, St Austell, Hook Norton, Sambrooks and The Beer Kitchen, and have some sensational beers available, 21 different beers nonetheless!!)

(NEW!! The supermarket in Central Festival (not the Tops in furniture annex across the road) has from time to time been selling Fuller's beers, including London Pride, ESB, India Pale Ale and London Porter)

Bars:

- Irish Times (Patong)- Probably best selection among bars in Phuket. Old Speckeled Hen (on tap), Golden Hen, Ruddles County, Abbott Ale, Belhaven 80/-, Greene King IPA on bottle and tap, the usual Guiness and Kilkenny, O'haras Stout. (Still going strong. Have added the excellent Magners Stout)

- The White Hart (Rawai) - Brain's Black on tap (No more. Replaced by the pedestrian Guinness)

- The Green Man - Brain's SA Smooth (can), Fuller's London Pride (bottle) and the usual Guiness (Sadly, the Brain's ales seems gone from Phuket, but Green Man has occasionally been stocking up on Fuller's London Porter, ESB and IPA in addition to the London Pride)

- O'Malley's (Phuket Town) - Brains SA Smooth and Brain's Black (both on can for 160bht) (Brains brewery seem to be gone from Phuket, but I hope I am wrong)

- Angus O'Tool's (Karon) - Grene King IPA on tap pluss the usual Guiness

Restaurants:

- Small restaurant between the Chalong roundabout and the Chalong Jetty selling bbq ribs, is also selling Brain's Black and SA Smooth in cans (Probably not selling anymore)

Edited by BestBitterPhuket

As much as I love real ale, this just isn't the climate to drink it.

When chilled, it loses flavour and flavour is what British real ales are all about.

Even warm it's still a treat now and again .

I can taste it now.

• Like 2

Let's not use the word "warm", non-Brits will get the wrong idea.

Not chilled is better.

I was using warm as i remember that was what Americans used when the tried Brit beer of course that was many moons ago.

When i first went to visit Australia back in the early 90s i ordered a Guiness which come super chilled i had to wait until it warmed up i soon learned to order second one early.

• Like 1

Let's not use the word "warm", non-Brits will get the wrong idea.

Not chilled is better.

I was using warm as i remember that was what Americans used when the tried Brit beer of course that was many moons ago.

When i first went to visit Australia back in the early 90s i ordered a Guiness which come super chilled i had to wait until it warmed up i soon learned to order second one early.

Never understood that also

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Villa Market, from having ZERO English beers, now has 21 different ales from 5 British breweries. Its a miracle!

yes but thay are all about 236baht for a small bottle (about 400ml i think, not sure) anyhow, as appealing as they look its out of my price range

steve

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

yes but thay are all about 236baht for a small bottle (about 400ml i think, not sure) anyhow, as appealing as they look its out of my price range

steve

They are silly expensive, but 1 or 2 every now & again is ok. The only problem is you get a taste for them.......

• Like 1

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

steve

They are silly expensive, but 1 or 2 every now & again is ok. The only problem is you get a taste for them.......

Exactly! You have to be really poor not to be able to spend 230bht on a bottle of real ale a week. As with everything, it's priorities. I drink 2-4 ales every week, but I spend 0 baht on tiger, singha, wine, spirits etc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New update!

Supermarket in Central Festival is now selling beers from Shepherds Naeme brewery. So far I have spotted the classics Spitfire and Bishop's Finger, but also the excellent Double Stout. The only problem is that the price is ridiculous. You can almost buy two Fuller's beers for the price of one Shepherd's Naeme.

Tesco bypass, has gotten new stocks of Fuller's beers, but they are only selling London Pride and London Porter, and it seems they dropped the fantastic ESB.

There is a micro brewery on Phuket called The Full Moon Brewery Work run by a Thai who has lived and worked in the UK . They seem to brew several beer styles so you might find one that might suit you They also have a facebook page in english.

Keep an eye on the Home brew Thailand forum,They have a lot of information check under bar and beer reviews.

I've had a few pints in there. He makes some nice beer. He changes his beer menu from time to time, but they are all quite nice.

http://fullmoonbrewwork.com/

Villa in Patong had a new IPA from Cornwall or Devon

I think you are referring to the American style IPA "Proper Job" by the Cornwall brewery St Austell. I am not a huge fan of American style IPAs but this one is really good, it also looks like it has been sold out in Villa Market Chalong.

Sounds about right, I just got 24 bottles from Wishbeer - the Mrs stopped number 25 from entering the basket

Villa in Patong had a new IPA from Cornwall or Devon

I think you are referring to the American style IPA "Proper Job" by the Cornwall brewery St Austell. I am not a huge fan of American style IPAs but this one is really good, it also looks like it has been sold out in Villa Market Chalong.

Sounds about right, I just got 24 bottles from Wishbeer - the Mrs stopped number 25 from entering the basket

Is Wishbeer selling St Austell beers?

Where will I find Fullers beers at the moment?

I tried a bottle of "Proper Job" last week and enjoyed it but I can't drink too many at 236 baht a go.

Tesco Lotus at bypass normally has London Pride (both 330ml and 500ml) and London Porter, but occasionally they are sold out. Central Festival (not the tops) also has London Pride, London Porter and the excellent Fuller's ESB. They used to have Fuller's IPA as well. I think the price there is 169bht and 140bht and 159bht at Tesco bypass.

Good news! The supermarket in Central Festival has finally taken in English beers. They now have Fullers London Pride, London Porter, ESB AND IPA. Tesco at bypass has the first three but not the IPA.

More good news! The Big C in Jungceylon Patong are now stocking 4 kinds og Greene King beers; Abbot Ale, Ruddles County, Old Golden Hen and Belhaven 80 /- beer. That's great!

Belhaven 80/- that takes me back to my years in Edinburgh. A pain that it's in Patong, where I don't go if I can help it.

Good news! The supermarket in Central Festival has finally taken in English beers. They now have Fullers London Pride, London Porter, ESB AND IPA. Tesco at bypass has the first three but not the IPA.

More good news! The Big C in Jungceylon Patong are now stocking 4 kinds og Greene King beers; Abbot Ale, Ruddles County, Old Golden Hen and Belhaven 80 /- beer. That's great!

Belhaven 80/- that takes me back to my years in Edinburgh. A pain that it's in Patong, where I don't go if I can help it.

Fear not! There is an alternative to entering the Patong jungle. There is an online beer shop that stocks this beer and 300 others, including a good range from Brewdog, the Scottish craft brewery. If your purchase is above 2000 bht, they deliver for free, also to Phuket. Above 4K and you get a 10% discount. I have used this service in the past and i was very satisfied. They delivered in the door at my house in Phuket.

The address is www.wishbeer.com

By the way, I am in no way, form or shape affiliated with them, but just a customer.

• Like 1

Big news!!

Villa Market at Chalong, has now started selling beers from Well's and Young's. I saw Young's Double Chocolate Stout, which is the gold standard of sweet stouts. This is a MUST try. The price is only 139 bht, which is cheap compared to other similar beers.

They are also offering Well's Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale and Well's Banana Bread beer. This is a bit of a strange choice by the purchasing manager. Instead of stocking the classic and famous Well's Bombardier, they chose the (in)famous Banana Bread beer and the strange Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale. Young's Special London Ale, could have been a good alternative as well.

BUT I am happy to see that the selection of British beers has increased enormously the last year.

• Like 1