Looking For A Qualified Handyman

elektrified

We have a long list of minor repairs that need to be done and need someone who is qualified to do them. They are not very difficult but need someone who knows how to use a drill properly, can install plugs/anchors in concrete/plaster/tile properly, etc. and can hang things straight and securely.

For example, we have some kitchen cupboard doors that are coming off, sagging, etc. and the hinges need to be re-attached, the urinal in one bathroom was installed with the wrong screws and anchors and now is is sagging and breaking the trap/drain mechanism, a valance box has fallen down from one of the windows and needs to be re-installed, a very heavy, 2 meter mirror has to be installed properly so it does not come off and kill someone!, a large curtain rod was poorly installed, fell off, and needs new hardware, re-installed, etc. The list goes on including re-glazing a window that is about 20 feet high as the rain and mosquitoes get in and it's driving us crazy.

Over the years we have had a few of those guys who ride around on bicycles in the moobaans come for 200 Baht but they don't know how to do things properly and often things fall apart after only a few days. The only guy we have had who knew what he was doing was a contractor who was doing an addition on the landlords house. Every screw he put into concrete, tile, wood, etc. is still in place years later and strong. He used the correct, high quality parts and drill bits. But he was very expensive and is now building a restaurant on Nimmanhaeman and is unavailable.

Anyone know someone? We will pay the high price if necessary as long as the job is done properly.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: has anyone ever used that referral service advertised in that ex-pat newsletter? I forget what it is called but there is an ad that has been on the 2nd page (I think) for years where they put people in contact with repairmen. I don't know the name of it or where to get the newsletter however.

Edited by elektrified

I've found it hard to explain to Thais how something that is more expensive initially, won't seem as expensive later when you keep trying to find someone to fix "the thing" that was at first really cheap. Construction, workmanship of everything, clothes, you name it. It's a cliche thought I had, sorry.

we use "Tap-con" in the States, and the correct size masonry drill bit for the size of the screw. The screws are titanium, and run about a buck each. It's not rocket science. Works great on toilet flanges. I suggest you make a detailed list and do it one thing at a time. Some tradesmen can be great at one thing, and just hate to do other things. Start with new holes; patch the old ones.