Craft Beer Has Landed In Chiang Mai...

Craft beer cnx

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of it what is Craft beer is it made by the people who make the cheese

Perhaps bottled real ale might better describe it for the Brits among us. biggrin.png

Oh ok that sounds more like it :)

Gonna be expensive I would of thought all those imported beers are way out there on the price, at number 1 some are 300 baht that like $11 for half pint good job I LIKE Chang

Maybe you should have a beer tasting event where we can taste all these beers, I would not buy a 6 pack on the chance I might like it but if I had a swig and liked it I might, if it was not to expensive that is.

Never heard of it what is Craft beer is it made by the people who make the cheese

Perhaps bottled real ale might better describe it for the Brits among us. biggrin.png

Oh ok that sounds more like it smile.png

Gonna be expensive I would of thought all those imported beers are way out there on the price, at number 1 some are 300 baht that like $11 for half pint good job I LIKE Chang

I don't know about bottles but when we have a beer a nice girl serves us one of these for 300 baht smile.png

290 actually heheh...You can get them filled with any of the usual, Chang, Leo, Singha, Asahi

AND she keeps coming back & filling our glasses for us.....Thailand hard to beat wink.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

200bht for a small bottle.

At that price its surprising how good Chang tastes.

Hey Nothing wrong with Chang the low price is just a bonus biggrin.png

Bottled Chang "Draught" is on par with most mass produced lager beers IMHO. Federbrau is better.

Oh ok that sounds more like it smile.png

I don't know about bottles but when we have a beer a nice girl serves us one of these for 300 baht smile.png

290 actually heheh...You can get them filled with any of the usual, Chang, Leo, Singha, Asahi

AND she keeps coming back & filling our glasses for us.....Thailand hard to beat wink.png

attachicon.giftower.jpg

pretty lady too

Not much of a Beer drinker myself, prefer good Wine but have you Beer enthusiasts thought about Home Brewing? Had a lot of mates in Australia who did it and claimed it was pretty simple.

Sure, no Bar Girls to serve it but I couldn't give a damn as I'm married to the best looking Girl in CNX.

I think in the US the words "craft beer" and "micro brew" are used interchangeably. The beer snobs probably have all sorts of tiered name calling idioms, but I would say that Deschutes is not a craft brewery. Regarding Deschutes, Wikipedia states, "As of 2010, it was the fifth-largest craft brewery and eleventh-largest overall brewery in the United States".

Anyways, Deschutes makes some fantastic beers and the Lagunitas IPA is great!

• Like 1

I think in the US the words "craft beer" and "micro brew" are used interchangeably. The beer snobs probably have all sorts of tiered name calling idioms, but I would say that Deschutes is not a craft brewery. Regarding Deschutes, Wikipedia states, "As of 2010, it was the fifth-largest craft brewery and eleventh-largest overall brewery in the United States".

Now that is the most informed comment on the thread so far. Thanks.

• Like 1

Now that is the most informed comment on the thread so far. Thanks.

I didn't realize the beer drinking culture was so different between the USA and Great Britain. Also I wrongly assumed the ThaiVisa negativity wouldn't be so strong even in a VERY positive thread regarding beer. :(

I had some Rogue beer a few months ago. Fantastic beer. Drinking the local stuff gets old after a bit.

Edit: oops, got so excited about your beer, forgot this notice:

Several off topic posts have been removed from view. Please show some respect or don't post.

wai2.gif

Edited by craigt3365

I'd like to see what is on offer - if I didn't have to go through farcebook to do so.

Craft Been CNX

I agree with Amexpat. There are many of us who have not and will not sign up for Facebook and, therefore, your info or whatever is on Facebook is not available to us.

I have seen your ad but that just goes to Facebook. So other than that, I know absolutely nothing about you. A real web site would be informative. For example, you are the sole distributor for Northern Thailand for what beer? What are you direct retail prices? Pre-order/buying from you should give us discounted prices over what the beer would be selling for in some TBD retail outlet (who carries your beers?).

Edited by noise

I didn't realize the beer drinking culture was so different between the USA and Great Britain. Also I wrongly assumed the ThaiVisa negativity wouldn't be so strong even in a VERY positive thread regarding beer. sad.png

Actually beer threads are among the most contentious on ThaiVisa.

noise, on 05 Jun 2013 - 09:05, said:

amexpat, on 04 Jun 2013 - 16:11, said:

I'd like to see what is on offer - if I didn't have to go through farcebook to do so.

Craft Been CNX

I agree with Amexpat. There are many of us who have not and will not sign up for Facebook and, therefore, your info or whatever is on Facebook is not available to us.

I have seen your ad but that just goes to Facebook. So other than that, I know absolutely nothing about you. A real web site would be informative. For example, you are the sole distributor for Northern Thailand for what beer? What are you direct retail prices? Pre-order/buying from you should give us discounted prices over what the beer would be selling for in some TBD retail outlet (who carries your beers?).

you could email and ask...

Not much of a Beer drinker myself, prefer good Wine but have you Beer enthusiasts thought about Home Brewing? Had a lot of mates in Australia who did it and claimed it was pretty simple.

Sure, no Bar Girls to serve it but I couldn't give a damn as I'm married to the best looking Girl in CNX.

I brought a kit back with me from Australia, Coopers draught, I think it is illegal for me to make beer in Thailand so lets say my wife made it, 2 kg tin made 39 bottles of beer plus one that I dropped on the floor, 640 ml size, just drank the last one the other day, excellent, cost was about 300 baht plus a bit of sugar. Shall be bringing more than one kit next time I go. Floor smelt good for a few days.

• Like 1

I brought a kit back with me from Australia, Coopers draught, I think it is illegal for me to make beer in Thailand so lets say my wife made it, 2 kg tin made 39 bottles of beer plus one that I dropped on the floor, 640 ml size, just drank the last one the other day, excellent, cost was about 300 baht plus a bit of sugar. Shall be bringing more than one kit next time I go. Floor smelt good for a few days.

The Law | Print |

Brewing at Home and the Law

cartoon%20police.jpg

One of the most asked questions regarding home brewing in Thailand is 'IS IT LEGAL?'

In a nutshell 'NO'. It is illegal to home-brew alcohol whether it is fermented or distilled for personal consumption / sale.

However please see below for the official stance on it.

"Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even have the equipment to do so.

The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquour, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and / or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol - wine or beer, for example - are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'

Source: Payoon Poolsuwan - Phuket Excise Office

So from the above, it can be seen that provided you are not distilling (making spirits) and selling alcohol, i.e. you are only making beer / wine for personal consumption and get caught, you can expect a 200 baht fine.

I have also heard a rumour that people who wish to make their own home-brew liquours legally can apply to their local excise office for a licence. I am going to look a little further into this and then report back on this when I know more.

The Law | Print |

Brewing at Home and the Law

cartoon%20police.jpg

One of the most asked questions regarding home brewing in Thailand is 'IS IT LEGAL?'

In a nutshell 'NO'. It is illegal to home-brew alcohol whether it is fermented or distilled for personal consumption / sale.

However please see below for the official stance on it.

"Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even have the equipment to do so.

The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquour, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and / or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol - wine or beer, for example - are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'

Source: Payoon Poolsuwan - Phuket Excise Office

So from the above, it can be seen that provided you are not distilling (making spirits) and selling alcohol, i.e. you are only making beer / wine for personal consumption and get caught, you can expect a 200 baht fine.

I have also heard a rumour that people who wish to make their own home-brew liquours legally can apply to their local excise office for a licence. I am going to look a little further into this and then report back on this when I know more.

So there's a 200 baht fine if you get caught making home brew beer? That's the same as the price of one 330ml bottle of Rogue beer, is it not?

Craft beer and micro beer?

Ok, honestly?

If I actually attained a state of mind wherein the distinction between these two terms attained some importance in my humble existence, I would join a book club or a scrabble forum or the Siam Society.

Who cares other than someone who wishes an identity as a discerning beer drinker.

Even wine snobs will tell you that the dirty secret is that after the first few glasses it matters not at all.

• Like 1

Craft beer and micro beer?

Ok, honestly?

If I actually attained a state of mind wherein the distinction between these two terms attained some importance in my humble existence, I would join a book club or a scrabble forum or the Siam Society.

Who cares other than someone who wishes an identity as a discerning beer drinker.

Even wine snobs will tell you that the dirty secret is that after the first few glasses it matters not at all.

Was someone arguing the differences between Craft beer and micro beer?

108221890.jpg?v=1&g=fs1%7C0%7CVTA%7C21%7

Craft Been CNX

We are a wholesaler,we only sell to retailers as bars,restaurants and supermarkets !( Rimping etc.)

our website is under construction ! http://www.craftbeerschiangmai.com

we sell only Imported beers,Belgian,US and many others...

• Like 1

Oh,yes...I have open arms/hands for a damn good craft beer. Fortunately I holiday a few months of the year back home where great beers grow on trees..... Unfortunately it seems impossible for them to arrive upon the shelves of CM at a price that makes sense.....$10 for a beer!! blink.png However, I'am hopefull since wine used to be a ridiculous price too but has settled down to reasonable levels.

As for Chang/Singha....I don't care how cheap that klong water is....NO THANKS!

• Like 1