Advice Needed.

Last year when I arrived in LOS I was offered a teaching job in Ang Thong.It would of involved teaching english to kids around the age of 7.They were offering me good money,but I turned it down because I've no teaching experience or qualifications.

We have a house in Ang Thong (although we live in Nonthaburi) ,and now the other half has decided she wants to move to Ang Thong.She has told her niece,who is a teacher at the school that offered me the job,and now they're pleading with me to come and work with them.I've reiterated that I've no qualifications but they said that they would sort everything out for me.

Last year I wasn't interested but now I see it as a challenge.I could probably learn as much from the kids as they could from me.The thing that worries me is if the school carry out some sort of dodgy dealings to get me a WP etc..... will this all come back to bite me in the ass ?.

I'm sure there's been other people here that have been in this position,and I'd sure love to hear what advice they could give me.

Vinny

Working illegally is always a risk. Depending on the type of visa you have, they may actually be able to get you a Work Permit under a different classification than a teacher.

In most cases, they just let people work without a work permit.

• Like 1

It varies from province to province, but if they'll provide all the needed paperwork that you can obtain a work permit, you'll be fine.

That's even possible on a Non-O based on marriage, or a Non-O retirement visa.You don't have to be on a Non-B visa for that purpose anymore.

Having the right "connections" will make it easy to change your job title from being a teacher, let's say to a trainer, or teacher's assistant.

Just give it a try, you might like it a lot. If not, just don't do it. Good luck!-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Working illegally is always a risk. Depending on the type of visa you have, they may actually be able to get you a Work Permit under a different classification than a teacher.

In most cases, they just let people work without a work permit.

Well that's where my problem lies.I'm not interested in working illegally.If the school can sort things out for me then fine,but I don't want to be caught out because of something the school did wrong.

Just tell them you'll do it if they get you a WP, otherwise no go

FYI, I have never heard of a teacher running into a problem teaching without a permit. Just keep it quiet.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As long as a school wants you they will be able to get you a temporary waiver max 2 years regarding teachers license. Once you have the waiver you will then be able to apply for a Work Permit.

A previous poster mentioned trainer not teacher, there are ways around the rules as long as the school wants you.

Salary wise they will give something just to be polite.

Good luck

I suspect that the real way any enforcement will work is for the school to be told by whichever authority that they can't hire you. So you might get taken on and then they might have to let you go. I would strongly advise you not to make any bogus claims on your paperwork like inventing experience or qualifications you don't actually have: that could get you into trouble.

Some government school I know hired a young man from Cameroon. Dreadful accent, limited vocab. And certainly no degree.

Guess what? They don't bother with the TCT, a B-Visa and a WP. Money talks and the director is happy to pay the "teacher"

15,000 Baht. The guy was given another contract for a whole year...

As long as a school wants you they will be able to get you a temporary waiver max 2 years regarding teachers license. Once you have the waiver you will then be able to apply for a Work Permit.

A previous poster mentioned trainer not teacher, there are ways around the rules as long as the school wants you.

Salary wise they will give something just to be polite.

Good luck

He won't be able to go through the TCT ( Teacher's Council of Thailand) process,as they require a BA in any field. If the school decides to hire him and changes the job title into trainer, he'll bypass the TCT.

The sad side is that most schools got no idea about their own laws, regarding hiring foreigners.

But then it's up to the local labor department to issue a work permit.

The OP could receive a Non-B visa from a Thai consulate abroad.but the local labor could refuse a work permit.

Please make sure if it works, what job title you'll have and let them make some research before you start to work for them.

Nothing is impossible here.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai