Wanting To Ordain, Which Visa Is Right For Me?

I am US citizen. I am planning to travel to NE Thailand to ordain as a Bhikkhu and study Buddhism. I don't know the monastery I will stay in for sure, I plan to find one when I get there. I plan on staying around 5 to 6 years if possible. If a farang become a monk is he treated any differently regarding visa policies? What are my options?

Edited by xianer

My brother went to Wat Pa Nanachat in Warin Champrat (Ubon Ratchatanin provence) to live for a while, he was going to ordain.

He got a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa from the Perth consulate because he had a letter from the monastry inviting him to stay.

Wat Pa Nanachat has all the information for the initiates to do visa runs. They give time to allow for this. They also recommend you have medical insurance untill you ordain. They do ordinations 2 or 3 times a year.

Once ordained the monastry organises your visa status and medical is covered by the King I believe.

Prior to ordination you will have to undergo a medical, this is where my brother ran into troubles and was not able to ordain as a result.

Edited by Chang_paarp

My brother went to Wat Pa Nanachat in Warin Champrat (Ubon Ratchatanin provence) to live for a while, he was going to ordain.

He got a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa from the Perth consulate because he had a letter from the monastry inviting him to stay.

Wat Pa Nanachat has all the information for the initiates to do visa runs. They give time to allow for this. They also recommend you have medical insurance untill you ordain. They do ordinations 2 or 3 times a year.

Once ordained the monastry organises your visa status and medical is covered by the King I believe.

Prior to ordination you will have to undergo a medical, this is where my brother ran into troubles and was not able to ordain as a result.

Really? I've thought about Wat Pah Nanachat, but I am looking for more of a "home grown" type setting, say Wat Nong Pah Pong. By the way, why did you brother get disqualified? (If you don't mind me asking)