Big Plane In Chiang Mai

briley

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the MD11, it goes through CM a few times a day but normally takes off towards the north. Does look like the BAC 1-11 and has the same climb angle, ie it goes up bl**dy fast.

Certainly not an MD-11 which is a wider bodied version of, and based on the DC-10 although Thai use them on the Australia run, and I have been on them many times. They have three engines with a large one mounted at the base of the tail similar to the Lockheed Tri Star (see below) unlike the BAC_111 that has only two engines either side of the fuselage under the tail.

SB might have the answer in a DC-9 which is similar to the BAC-111 but I still have no idea who is operating them.

post-7622-1146218702_thumb.jpg

MD-11

post-7622-1146218758_thumb.jpg

TRI-STAR

Wow,

The bottom picture from Maejo of the L-1011 Tri-Star was taken at Plant 42, Palmdale CA. Lockheed got smart and stopped making commercial airliners and concentrated on Military aircraft after the Tri-Star.

The picture of the MD-11 is a recent photo (Winglet's), the earlier versions were not as wide or as long. Look at what the 737-400 looks like today and then look at the 737-100, doesn't even look like the same aircraft. Different engines, the 100's used Rolls Royce which were cigar shaped then the 200's used GE which are larger in diameter but shorter in length.

The year of the aircraft significantly alters it's visual appearance.

Wow,

The bottom picture from Maejo of the L-1011 Tri-Star was taken at Plant 42, Palmdale CA. Lockheed got smart and stopped making commercial airliners and concentrated on Military aircraft after the Tri-Star.

Spot on DB an L-1011 :o

Sorry, I didn't mean MD-11, I meant MD-80 (or, what boeing now call the 717).

I think you might have it there SB....an MD-80 but a slightly different config to the 717. Definately not a 111 as they are shorter. All I have to do now is look for the livery next time it comes over, but they have such a steep ascent rate that they are around 5000' as they come over. All the regular Thai flights are half that height :o

post-7622-1146240562_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1146240699_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1146240749_thumb.jpg

MD-80

Not to get off topic, but the following might be of interest.

Generally, ALL commercial airliners operate as below:

The initial climb rate for the first 20-30 seconds might be in excess of 3000'/min, then reduces to 1800'/min.

When you consider that an MD-80 or 737 essentially lifts off at mid field, by the time he clears the outer marker he can be at 5000' above ground level.

The factor determining the lift off is rotation speed, which on an MD-80 is around 140Knm/hr vs, 170knm/hr on your larger aircraft. It just takes longer for a 747 to get to its rotation speed so they just don't seem to be climbing as fast as the MD-80 when the get to the outer marker. For what it is worth, the 747 is probably the fastest airliner in the world. Faster than a Lear Jet!

What has always amazed me though is the landings, we have all seen a 747 on approach, they just seem to be hanging in the air. They are actually moving along at 160Knm/hr or 30 Knm/hr faster than the MD-80, but due to the massive size you don't get the perspective of speed when you observe them.

40 Seconds.........

I have an ultralight that with full flaps + full power is off the ground in less than 20 seconds.

I have never timed a take-off run in a 747 so wouldn't venture an answer. It doesn't seem to take as long taking off in a 737 in comparison to a 747.

Again, time is not part of the equation, the velocity of the air over the wing is the determining factor. When we quote, 160 Knm/Hr. as rotation speed this is the speed of the air over the wing. If you have a head wind of 20 Knm/Hr. your ground speed would only be 140. Conversly, with a tailwind of 20 your groundspeed would be 180.

How long it takes for your aircraft to accelerate to the required speed to gain lift is variable due to drag, available power etc.

My opinion and gut feeling would then be BS.

Thanks, I'll pass on your message!

I've spent a week or so timing flights but can't quite see the start of the runway, and have got figures of around 25-40 seconds to take off. Glad to get my gut feelings confirmed.

Well as tempting as it is to believe that Ossama was on the plane, or even chickens, the fact is that it was neither.

This was a clandestine mission by the CIA (who owns the plane for just this purpose) to Iraq.

It carried off 4 Wats worth of Budhist monks, and all thier parafinalia, in an attempt to unbalance the Muslim Sheite power base. 4 Karaoke bars worth of girls, and all of their parafinailia, for troop morale. And 2 tons of sala pao for officers and dignataries.

Plain and simple.

Hope it works.

Well as tempting as it is to believe that Ossama was on the plane, or even chickens, the fact is that it was neither.

This was a clandestine mission by the CIA (who owns the plane for just this purpose) to Iraq.

It carried off 4 Wats worth of Budhist monks, and all thier parafinalia, in an attempt to unbalance the Muslim Sheite power base. 4 Karaoke bars worth of girls, and all of their parafinailia, for troop morale. And 2 tons of sala pao for officers and dignataries.

Plain and simple.

Hope it works.

True-ish. All correct except in a couple of little areas.

The monks were for the troops and they are now deeply involved in teaching chanting and meditation in a vain attempt to calm them down.

The girls have been sent to Falluja and other extremist strongholds and are now go-go-ing on street corners in their imaginary bikinis and using their portable poles. From the last satellite pass, they appear to be surrounded by a wall of headless corpses. It seems the combination of their gyrations and attire was too much for the locals and has caused a series of autonomic seisures resulting in head explosions.