Drunk Isaan. People Every Day In Our Village

Sandman77

This "party" exhibition you describe is indeed getting more and more normal in Isan.

And thanks to the growing poverty in the rural areas with thanks to the T-Government, things will get worse.

There is les and less work, the 300 baht per day wage rule is not adhered to, the prices go up, and more and more people loose their jobs.

It will get worse, trust me!

Not everywhere. Over half my village have a rubber tree plantation, thise who used to be land rich with no money are starting to earn pretty nicely, houses are being extended and people are very well off compared to 10 years ago. The going rate for labourers is 400 per day and those that don't have rubber are making good money in Singapore, Taiwan and India.

" Singapore, Taiwan, India," you forgot Pattaya

• Like 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drunken Isaarn farmers, wives and ex-wives, inlaws and outlaws. Grinding poverty and droughts, sounds lovely. What are the farangs like there? Lots of young hip go getters or what?

Ding ding. Troll alert

Wish I could post a photo here of my house in Isaan and show what l do most days. Noooo, no Buffalo's, music. Some very blind or unhappy folk out there eh.

• Like 1

Drunken Isaarn farmers, wives and ex-wives, inlaws and outlaws. Grinding poverty and droughts, sounds lovely. What are the farangs like there? Lots of young hip go getters or what?

Ding ding. Troll alert

Wish I could post a photo here of my house in Isaan and show what l do most days. Noooo, no Buffalo's, music. Some very blind or unhappy folk out there eh.

and have probably never been "here"..........whistling.gif

• Like 2

Your house as in you paid for it 100% but actually own 0%?

Nothing wrong with having buffalos around. The house I rented in Isaan had some nice land and water out the back and watching the buffalos upon an evening was quite nice.

Edited by Salapoo

Your house as in you paid for it 100% but actually own 0%?

Nothing wrong with having buffalos around. The house I rented in Isaan had some nice land and water out the back and watching the buffalos upon an evening was quite nice.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, as l am married l think l own half the sale price eh . NOT that that should concern you as a comment here.

And yes, I dodge buffalo's on my road most days on my way to the hotel dance club, snooker hall, weight training gym, must l go on about my Isaan stuff. Nooooooo. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

OMG This post kinda hit home.

When I got up this AM my wife started nagging me on why I didn't go out and help cut weeds along side of the village road with the other village men as some had asked where I was and why wasn't I out with them.

NOW here is my answer: Those that asked only want me to BUY the Beer and Whiskey when they are done and that's THE ONLY reason they want me to join in. I don't speak Thai and have Almost come to the conclusion that I don't want to :)

I cut the weeds in front of our house and don't expect to cut weeds in front of anothers house..

I am yet to be asked to ANYTHING where they don't expect me to pay. I REFUSE to be used as the village ATM.

• Like 2

Bliss is Getting Married to a farmers Daughter and building a House on her land around her family...Sounds Perfect to me?

Been there, Done that! Still a problem after 40 years of marriage and never gets easy dealing with the family.

Im glad I dont live in Issarn. Its full of redneck farmers that dont really like farangs, a lot of them are equivelant to trailer park trash in the US. I found it horrible there. The locals are rude, the food is horrible. The farangs I met left a lot to be desired. Give me the south any day. Nice food, beautiful islands, lovely people

Well, I am a sure Issan is glad you do not live here as well. But just asking how the food is terrible?

The area in question is a town near Rattanaburi in the north of the Surin province....i would have thought it was a pretty typical Issan town based on my travels.... There are plenty of nice people but the pace of life, superstitious stuff combined with the heavy drinking make it a place I would rather not spend time in.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i live not far from you..same problem

I usually start by saying "this is based on my experiences in my own area". I love the Isaan area. Friendly people, relatively inexpensive, good employment prospects, excellent food and a few very good ex-pats that make life here even more enjoyable.

However it is not for everyone. It helps to speak any variation of the local languages, it helps if you acclimatize yourself and become familiar with some of the local customs. If you rely strictly on your girl friend or wife for answers or information you may be out of luck.

To the OP I am sure it is not as bad as you believe it to be. I have only met a handful of locals who have ever asked for money just because I am a falang. My wife sorts people out pretty quickly and that is that. people who I have thought I would never get along with have turned into very good and genuine friends.

I am sure many other posters here are reflecting on their own personal experiences, good or bad, but there are a few who are just rehashing drunken ex-pat bar gossip. Isaan has over 20,000,000 people who call it home.

And lastly what has being a Buddhist got to do with drinking or not drinking. I do not drink, and gain have never had a problem with any Thai person asking for me to buy them a drink.

Edited by rct99q

The area in question is a town near Rattanaburi in the north of the Surin province....i would have thought it was a pretty typical Issan town based on my travels.... There are plenty of nice people but the pace of life, superstitious stuff combined with the heavy drinking make it a place I would rather not spend time in.

I found that living on the outer fringes of a provincial capital was the best place to reside. Amenities close by and still pretty much living in green fields, just without the local peasant mentality and filth.

• Like 1

I found that living on the outer fringes of a provincial capital was the best place to reside. Amenities close by and still pretty much living in green fields, just without the local peasant mentality and filth.

With that attitude, you will have problems fitting in to most places in Isaan.

With that attitude, you will have problems fitting in to most places in Isaan.

Why would one want to fit into apeasant mentallity and filth? :huh:

Living just off a provinicial capital was great, 'fitted in' with lots of lovely locals as it happens. ;)

Im glad I dont live in Issarn. Its full of redneck farmers that dont really like farangs, a lot of them are equivelant to trailer park trash in the US. I found it horrible there. The locals are rude, the food is horrible. The farangs I met left a lot to be desired. Give me the south any day. Nice food, beautiful islands, lovely people

Well, I am a sure Issan is glad you do not live here as well. But just asking how the food is terrible?

I dont eat offal, frogs, insects, plah rah and other crap like that, i prefer southern thai food

• Like 1

I've always liked living on the outskirts of a provincial town.

I really can't understand how so many guys build houses near their country wife's family. My wife's family are 400 km away.

Another thing I can't understand is why so many of the said guys don't speak Thai - what a nightmare being stuck in a Thai village and not able to talk to anyone.

I always find it odd when an elder farang male just sits there at a restaurant grunting, pointing and speaking broken english with their thai spouse. I find it bizaare. What do they have in common. 'teeluck fon tok maaahhk' or 'aloy mahk mahk' spare me the embarrassment and if your going to speak unga bunga do it behind closed doors please

Snob.

I think you will find that your 'unga bunga' is pure pasa Thai.

Edited by cardholder
  • Like 1

I always find it odd when an elder farang male just sits there at a restaurant grunting, pointing and speaking broken english with their thai spouse. I find it bizaare. What do they have in common. 'teeluck fon tok maaahhk' or 'aloy mahk mahk' spare me the embarrassment and if your going to speak unga bunga do it behind closed doors please

They tend to be tourists, temporary visitors to the area...... sound familiar?

I can't help thinking that an 'Irish Ivan' would feel at home with rednecks!

• Like 1

I can't help thinking that an 'Irish Ivan' would feel at home with rednecks!

No, hence why I dont live in the farmlands of Thailand speaking unga bunga with hillbillies

• 5 months later...

In my Isaan village there is much drinking by the men.

But the men are all very quite, peaceful drunks.

Not like the west where I come from.

No fighting, no yelling, no boasting and no womanizing.

None of the women drink..none!

At parties, men sit together and women sit together elsewhere, no mixing!

I think of all the half drunk girls I met at parties in USA and feel kind of sorry for the young single Thai guys!

Where do they ever get their finger wet?

Anyway, in my world there is a lot of drinking, but no problems caused by the drunks!

And yes, I do drink with them from time to time!

In my Isaan village there is much drinking by the men.

But the men are all very quite, peaceful drunks.

Not like the west where I come from.

No fighting, no yelling, no boasting and no womanizing.

None of the women drink..none!

At parties, men sit together and women sit together elsewhere, no mixing!

I think of all the half drunk girls I met at parties in USA and feel kind of sorry for the young single Thai guys!

Where do they ever get their finger wet?

Anyway, in my world there is a lot of drinking, but no problems caused by the drunks!

And yes, I do drink with them from time to time!

Same experience right here too. We have had many dozens of parties over the last 3 years in Isaan and guests regularly get smashed on Lao Khao which they start drinking when the party starts at dawn and goes on sometimes all day and not once, literally not ONCE, have I seen anyone even argue let alone have a fight with another person. The worst thing that has happened in all of hat time is that I had to take a wrecked old man back home to his wife in my wheelbarrow once (and I bet she balled him out for that after I left though).

In the UK just a few beers in a pub usually leads to an argument and you can always see people fighting on the streets but this has never been my experience of Isaan. I doubt I am alone with this. It's just another case of people only telling the bad side of their experiences on this forum so the majority of positive experiences are never told to counter out the bad.

Totally different in my wifes village... Have 1 drunk man who you see say everymonth bur everybody ignores him.. Everybody in the village are nice and they are all asleep by 9pm.. sounds to me that your in a bad village.. Goodluck with that but id leave for sure..

Same here,

though I dont live there full time, only spend a couple of months there each year, I have not noticed any excessive drinking that got out of hand and never a fight,

there is the occasional wedding, including mine ,where we all had a few drinks, got happy end enjoyed our selves until late in the night, but every one in the area was invited and came and none complained, and then there is the occasional "Buddhist son goes to temple for a while" party that gets loud, but that is life in the village.

Most of the time it is early to bed early to rise, and the only noise at night is from the dogs and the roosters..

PS: it just occurred to me that all the partying could happen after I am gonetongue.png

Wooohoo, the Ferang is gone, let the party beginpartytime2.gif

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

I love it here in rural Isaan. I speak Lao (reading, bit sketchy). I deal with with all the locals, and they with me, some of the the farangs, well thats another story. Anyhooo, off for my 4:20am first cocktail of the day...it helps me fit in LOL