Taxi From Cm Airport

Andy B

:o-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ 2006-03-29 11:09:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all

Does anyone know how much is the airport taxi fare from the CM intl airport to Central Duangtawan hotel? Are there other alternatives of transportation from the airport to the hotel?

TQ

Why not take the free(?) shuttle bus to your hotel?

Hi all

Does anyone know how much is the airport taxi fare from the CM intl airport to Central Duangtawan hotel? Are there other alternatives of transportation from the airport to the hotel?

TQ

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the Duangtawan had a van for airport pickup ...

Have you checked this out ???

gonzo

If you don’t have a free shuttle turn sharp left as you exit the baggage collection area and there is a taxi desk there. Tell the lady where you want to go and she will write a ticket for you to give your driver who can be found just outside the building. Your journey will probably be 100 – 120 baht and this will be written on the ticket so no bargaining required.

Personally I don’t like the meter taxis on the grounds that I have never persuaded one to use the meter. They have always insisted on a fixed price so although I have tried to use them on several occasions I have never used one. I have heard that they also add a 50 baht surcharge for starting at the airport but have no first experience of this.

The price is indeed what's on the meter plus 50 baht. This surcharge applies regardless whether you go to or from the airport. I don't know for sure, but my impression is that it is somehow tied to a fee they are charged by the airport.

Personally I have never had a problem with drivers refusing to use the meter. Maybe I am unwittingly doing something right?

The price is indeed what's on the meter plus 50 baht. This surcharge applies regardless whether you go to or from the airport. I don't know for sure, but my impression is that it is somehow tied to a fee they are charged by the airport.

The 50 baht surcharge to/from the airport sounds like a scam to me. Maybe the (ex) songthaew drivers heard about the surcharge in Bkk, and want the same here. Easier than bargaining the fare. :o

The 50 baht surcharge to/from the airport sounds like a scam to me. Maybe the (ex) songthaew drivers heard about the surcharge in Bkk, and want the same here. Easier than bargaining the fare. :o

Quite right - a 'me too' attitude - the present system in CM certainly costs more Baht per km than Bangkok.

I always use the taxi outside the airport building. Comon.. 100 - 150 baht is like ... euhm 3 euro/4 dollars !

So cheap and so easy if you have a lot of luggage

Cheers

Bates

I always use the taxi outside the airport building. Comon.. 100 - 150 baht is like ... euhm 3 euro/4 dollars !

Cheers

Bates

Since they have learned to use a meter in Bangkok (in the past it was all but impossible to make them do it but these days quite easy), why not try to encourage the same behaviour in Chiang Mai..?

Cheers

Bates

Since they have learned to use a meter in Bangkok (in the past it was all but impossible to make them do it but these days quite easy), why not try to encourage the same behaviour in Chiang Mai..?

I see your point, but you seem to be assuming that would satisfy them...

I'm of the opinion that it would make then hungrier...

Also, in Bkk, it's only from the airport, and at least your 50 baht offers you some 'protection'....

Here here! There is often a meter taxi or two outside Airport Plaza and in my experience they will only quote a fare. I have it almost down pat now – how much? 150 baht. Meter please? 150 baht. Meter please? 150 baht…….by which time I am almost past them and just keep going to the road, flag down a song taew and agree to pay 20 baht. I no longer expect to get them to agree to using the meter but have to keep trying in the hope that maybe, someday, they will use the meter :o

Here here! There is often a meter taxi or two outside Airport Plaza and in my experience they will only quote a fare. I have it almost down pat now – how much? 150 baht. Meter please? 150 baht. Meter please? 150 baht…….by which time I am almost past them and just keep going to the road, flag down a song taew and agree to pay 20 baht. I no longer expect to get them to agree to using the meter but have to keep trying in the hope that maybe, someday, they will use the meter :o

The meters installed in the taxis are not real. its some plastic toy thing. It looks quite real though with the lights and all. Just like the 20Baht mobile plastic phone i bought for my son. Has come cool ringing tones too. :D

Hi all

TQ

If you are not in too much of a hurry you can take bus no. 10 for 12 Baht to Night Bazar and walk the 100 m up the street.

The meters installed in the taxis are not real. its some plastic toy thing. It looks quite real though with the lights and all. Just like the 20Baht mobile plastic phone i bought for my son. Has come cool ringing tones too. :D

Sorry to be thick, but you're joking right? I have been driven by meter in Chiang Mai on three occasions, and the ticking and flashing lights seemed just as real as any other taxameter I have encountered. In one case though, where I insisted on using the meter while the driver asked me to quote a price, he said "OK, but I will knock some money off the price as this meter is actually intended for taxi minibuses and not for sedan taxis like mine.. I will get a proper meter sent up from Bangkok next week." ...and at journey's end he did knock off 40 baht off the price the meter quoted.

I am not sure if this tells us anything about the meter situation in CM though.

Sorry to be thick, but you're joking right? I have been driven by meter in Chiang Mai on three occasions, and the ticking and flashing lights seemed just as real as any other taxameter I have encountered. In one case though, where I insisted on using the meter while the driver asked me to quote a price, he said "OK, but I will knock some money off the price as this meter is actually intended for taxi minibuses and not for sedan taxis like mine.. I will get a proper meter sent up from Bangkok next week." ...and at journey's end he did knock off 40 baht off the price the meter quoted.

Sounds like I’ve been unlucky in failing to persuade them to use the meter – they just point blank refuse. Perhaps the meters are toys I simply have no first hand experience of them.

Sounds like I’ve been unlucky in failing to persuade them to use the meter – they just point blank refuse. Perhaps the meters are toys I simply have no first hand experience of them.

of course i am joking. but they might as well be toys and now that you mentioned it, no point installing one in the first place. just have a schedule card and pricing - one for the thais and one for the farangs.

That was funny "card and pricing - one for the thais and one for the farangs". Lived in Samui before where EVERYONE think they should have more becuase you are falang. TAXI meter there-everything 300 bath or more. "Red pickup taxi" should always have more so, I just keep the "right" amount in my hand I gave them that. Yep they scream after you but who cares.

So far I like CM and I have never had any problem (have'nt try the TAXI meter though). But if they don't go by meter don't use them. Why accept it? Thats why they do it. Someone start argue about a price just go away.

One more thing, why should they charge you 50 bath TO the airport? They have some fee to go inside but not 50 bath.

Edited by MichaelShort

I walk out to the street and grab a "baht bus" too. For a custom ride, off his normal route, I cough up 40 baht or 50 baht. I hop up front with the guy and smile a lot.

(Usually I head over to the Montri Hotel, Thaepae Gate area, the Montri will take their customers TO the airport for free on a set schedule.)

I walk out to the street and grab a "baht bus" too. For a custom ride, off his normal route, I cough up 40 baht or 50 baht. I hop up front with the guy and smile a lot.

(Usually I head over to the Montri Hotel, Thaepae Gate area.)

I bet the driver smiles a lot too. I always pay 20 baht for the same ride and no one has ever asked for more. :o

Well knock me down with a feather…..I’ve just got back home by taxi meter. Flagged it down the other side of town, told him my destination and hopped in. No problems, questions etc on went the meter (40 baht flag fall) and off we went. Arrived at the front door with the meter showing 55 baht – a tuk tuk would have cost more. Splendid service – if I owned a hat I might be tempted to eat it for dinner.

:o