Rhubarb, Rhubarb, Rhubarb

Being a Yorkshireman, I miss my rhubarb in Thailand. Although it is possible to get an odd crumble or mixed pie of the stuff, I would like to grow some myself to ensure a steady supply to keep my sanity.

Anyone grow it here or know where I can get some material (I assume stemstock or seeds) for growing it?

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

Its actually grown in Thailand at the cooler, high elevation Royal Project sites like Doi Ang Khang and perhaps Doi Inthanon. Its occasionally available at their Doi Kham outlets here in Chiang Mai.

this is just my thoughts on the suject,

i think you would have to dig the crown up every year and put it in the fridge to simulate winter, ive heard it done somewere,

i think my mums sister did the same thing in tenerife with some bulbs,

i think you would have to bring crowns in from abroad,

just my thoughts for what there worth lol,,

jake

• Like 1

Man I love rhubarb pie. I think there is no greater fruit pie than that, except maybe for real, made from scratch, country style lemon pie.

I used to love to just take a stalk of rhubarb and dip it in sugar, and then eat it like it was a stick of celery.

I have not had good rhubarb for about 25 years, maybe more.

• Like 1

i think you would have to dig the crown up every year and put it in the fridge to simulate winter, ive heard it done somewere,

jake

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've heard that the stuff available in Thailand (presumably from the royal projects) is about 100 baht a stick - hardly a price a Yorkshireman will pay.

I've found that I could get seeds sent out from this company:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit/fruit-seeds/all-fruit-seeds/rhubarb-glaskins-perpetual/831TM

If I grew seedlings as far as possible then put the plantlets and/or crowns in a fridge until the cool season then put them outside in big pots or the soil for the duration of the cool season or a bit beyond, maybe I will get some kind of crop. I have a holiday house in Nan so the cool season up north (eeeh lad, up north) should be OK there and the empty fridge should be ideal for long winter simulation when I am away.

I am off for a month to central Europe, but they don't grow rhubarb there and these less happy people don't even have tinned stuff to bring back.

Anyone got any further ideas?

• 1 month later...

jake

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've heard that the stuff available in Thailand (presumably from the royal projects) is about 100 baht a stick - hardly a price a Yorkshireman will pay.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit/fruit-seeds/all-fruit-seeds/rhubarb-glaskins-perpetual/831TM

If I grew seedlings as far as possible then put the plantlets and/or crowns in a fridge until the cool season then put them outside in big pots or the soil for the duration of the cool season or a bit beyond, maybe I will get some kind of crop. I have a holiday house in Nan so the cool season up north (eeeh lad, up north) should be OK there and the empty fridge should be ideal for long winter simulation when I am away.

I am off for a month to central Europe, but they don't grow rhubarb there and these less happy people don't even have tinned stuff to bring back.

Strange since they only send withing UK according their website.

jake

Strange since they only send withing UK according their website.

not so. there are some restricted countries but thailand is not on that list. i'm in austria at the moment and have found some jars of stewed rhubarb in spar, so will bring some back if i have room.

• 1 month later...

I found that unripe Kiwi fruits taste very similar to rhubarb. You can buy frozen packs of the fruit in Macro and they are very sour when defrosted, hence unripe. When cooked with sugar like rhubarb (and maybe ginger or spices)they have a very similar taste and can be used in the same way. I know it's not the same but a good substitute - a bit like methadone in place of heroine, I guess - but who cares?