Using Thai In The Workplace

skylar

I'm doing some temp work at the moment, and 2 days ago a Thai girl approached me and spoke Thai to me, leaving out the 'ka'. I used 'ka' as I didn't know who she was and we were speaking in a formal situation. Yesterday, when we greeted eachother, she used 'ka' with me, while I left it out... what is appropriate? How do I communicate with people in a business situation?

I'm doing some temp work at the moment, and 2 days ago a Thai girl approached me and spoke Thai to me, leaving out the 'ka'. I used 'ka' as I didn't know who she was and we were speaking in a formal situation. Yesterday, when we greeted eachother, she used 'ka' with me, while I left it out... what is appropriate? How do I communicate with people in a business situation?

Hi Sky,

My experience has led me to conclude that it is always the best policy to err on the side of polite speech and terms of address. In business and work situations, professional respect is best; which of course should include "suphap" speech.

Kook

Sorry? She's Thai Australian and she's speaking Thai with you in Oz? Is that what you are saying? How odd

Yes, ethnically Thai, speaking Thai with me in a workplace in Sydney. Brought up in Australia.

Then that would mean the Thai rules do not quite apply. You take it up with her and make sure you are both happy with whichever route you decide.

Having been brought up in Australia, she probably assumed you would not be too bothered with the whole particle and hierarchy system. When I speak Thai with my Swedish friends, including ethnic Thais brought up in Sweden and look khreung, we do not use polite particles as it feels more natural. The Swedish common cultural base feels stronger than the Thai one.

I reckon you should have the flexibility to decide with your workmate how to handle the situation.

does this mean that this girl was wrong? She's an Aussie, and we're in Australia, so does this has something to do with it?

Hi Sky! Nothing like a bit of context :D I wish I had such a person to practice speech with. My only concern here is that you and she may cause other non-Thai speaking coworkers some discomfort. You know how those farangs are...... :o In this case, I don't think it would matter much whether the polite particles are used. Sounds to me that your Aussie raised coworker is just flattering you for your ability to speak her mother tongue. Just be careful not to allow colloquial speech to become your default.

Kook

Just be careful not to allow colloquial speech to become your default.

Allow me to be obnoxious for a moment...

It seems a lot of people have negative associations with the word "colloquial." It really just means "spoken" or "conversational" as opposed to formal writing. To say it another way, it often means "informal."

That said, I don't think it's necessary to avoid informal speech as your default. At early stages of foreign language learning, I suppose it's better to learn polite/formal speech first, before you are able to distinguish when to use what type of language in informal settings.

At later stages of foreign language learning, formal speech may be just as inappropriate. It depends on who you're speaking with.

Anyhow, that's my nitpicking rant about the use of the word "colloquial." Colloquial Thai is just spoken Thai. If you speak it, it's colloquial.

Hi-ho.

Just be careful not to allow colloquial speech to become your default.

Allow me to be obnoxious for a moment...

It seems a lot of people have negative associations with the word "colloquial." It really just means "spoken" or "conversational" as opposed to formal writing. To say it another way, it often means "informal."

That said, I don't think it's necessary to avoid informal speech as your default. At early stages of foreign language learning, I suppose it's better to learn polite/formal speech first, before you are able to distinguish when to use what type of language in informal settings.

At later stages of foreign language learning, formal speech may be just as inappropriate. It depends on who you're speaking with.

Anyhow, that's my nitpicking rant about the use of the word "colloquial." Colloquial Thai is just spoken Thai. If you speak it, it's colloquial.

You're right. I should have used the word "informal" as opposed to "colloquial". A little experience for was back in the early 70's stationed at Udon RTAFB, I worked alongside Thai military police and Thai Guards. With those guys we had a "goo-meung" type playful and irreverent relationship. In the midst of our frolic, a senior Thai Air Force NCO arrived to do a post check. I failed to use the proper etiquette, (krap, etc.) without thinking and got a very nice dressing down. I guess I am just a creature of habit! :o That is what I meant by my posting above. No offense meant to anybody, and if any was taken, I apologize.

Kook

K'Sky - I agree with those who suggested that foreigner should be using polite ending. Without the "kah" or "krap" ending, Thai intonation and use of other endings such as "jah" and "hah" series, convey different levels of complexity for politeness and intention. The nuance might be quite hard for foreign speakers to pick up so soon,...