Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive It Is To Live In Isaan These Days?

kristophon

I have been living in NE Isaan now for almost a decade. One of the main attractions apart from the weather and the lifestyle was that it was an inexpensive place to live. I usually stay here for approx. 9 or 10 months per year and when I come back we always go for that initial shop in Tescos to stock up. This time I almost fainted when I got the bill at the checkout. It was 17500baht. We hadn`t even filled 2 trolleys! The only relatively expensive items I recall were some clothes for my young boy.

I realise that the exchange rate has alot to do with Isaan becoming expensive and on that day the conversion was probably about 42baht to the pound (UK sterling)... that equated to a wopping £416. ON A SHOPPING TRIP TO BLEEDIN TESCOs!!

One thing that stood out was a 500gram pack of (so called) cheap thai Ham (processed and packed in thailand). 260baht.... thats nearly £6.... I couldnt quite believe it...

Thai restaurant bills are going up all the time. It doesnt seem so long ago we`d pay 500-600 baht for a big spread of thai food (for 2 adults, 2 kids).... To eat there late last year it was 1000, now 1200baht for the same type of spread. (at thats the inexpensive thai restaurant... another that we used to use was 1500 about 6 months ago... we have stopped going there...)

I just hope the exchange rate picks up soon. This place is becoming unaffordable....

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who is doing the shopping and picking for you?

Surely it cant be that bad. You where just shocked at the bill you had to pay.

The bath is going up and up, but that doesn't mean I don't have to remain critical and seriously aware when i go shoppingthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Like as said the minimum wage increase just caused a spiralling rise of prices, I doubt anyone is better off except people who benefitted from the vote winning.

Oh and the floods as well, places that put there prices up due to food shortages during the floods seem to have forgotten to put them back down.

Make your own ham, so easy , a quarter of the cost and ten times nicer.

The bath is going up and up, but that doesn't mean I don't have to remain critical and seriously aware when i go shoppingthumbsup.gif

Better turn the tap off.

It's meant positive. Mr. Arthurwait. Some fluids have to remain running. But you will safe serious money if you stop drinking, for sure.

I like your idea of making you own ham. Do you have any pictures to contribute?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615511-food-photography/

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Better turn the tap off.

It's meant positive. Mr. Arthurwait. Some fluids have to remain running. But you will safe serious money if you stop drinking, for sure.

I like your idea of making you own ham. Do you have any pictures to contribute?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615511-food-photography/

It's a Thai facebook account. biggrin.png

Not at the moment, will contribute soon.

Try living down south, it's much steeper than up there, and I'm not talking about a tourist place. Although prices for consumables have risen worldwide, you can squarely lay the blame for Thailand's current situation on the family associated with post #3. The OTT minimum wage rise was always going to cause this, and the dolts that voted them in are paying the price. There is only one winner and he doesn't even live here!

When I was in Nan last February the only thing I could find to eat in town was rice soup... at about 35 baht a bowl. That is all I could find after stopping in about 15 cafes. I'm sure there must be some proper restaurants but I couldn't find any. I was finally stuck eating at my hotel's buffet for about 250 baht. I can get a nice Thai meal in Chiang Mai for 40 baht.

Tescos and the other hypermarkets have brought more variety, but they make living more expensive. Not always, though. I tend to use a lot of potatoes, not for cultural reasons, but because rice makes me put on weight! In Tesco I pay 42 baht a kilo; my market supplier can't (or won't) sell me under 60, and her potatoes are not so good. You can get all you need for food at the local markets (I said all you need, not all you want).

In Nan there are many cheaper places. Try Thai Pochana (turn left as you come out of the Devaraj Hotel, and go about 100 yds (I haven't been there for some time, but expect it still runs).

17500 in Tescos...w00t.gif

If your not buying electrical equipment or that stuff, tell us how you managed to hit that number in there?

He has mentioned clothing but at Tesco it still wouldn't help to get to the 17K mark.

I fear it's the unexpected ham that got to himtongue.png

Edited by Dancealot

17500 in Tescos...Posted Image

If your not buying electrical equipment or that stuff, tell us how you managed to hit that number in there?

He  has mentioned clothing but at Tesco it still wouldn't help to get to the 17K mark.

I fear it's the unexpected ham that got to himPosted Image

I demand to see the receipt op!..we want proof.:P
  • Like 1

As the Thai's always say "Check Bill" whistling.gif , so the OP should have at least "Check his own Bill" coffee1.gif which as mentioned was a bit steep for food and boys cloths from Lotus. sick.gif

Tesco's is owned by a UK firm that does not live in Thailand jackr so you are correct. thumbsup.gif

Kan is still good for Thai food and bits and bobs.

Win whistling.gif

Edited by Kan Win

This should just be titled I can't believe I spent 17500 in Tescos

Don't blame Issan.Soup at our local kitchen is still only 15 baht but 20 for me, big bowl thanks..:D

A buddy of mine commented that the cost of living in Isan has risen. He brought his wife to Pattaya and she felt that prices for food were actually lower here. Before I get flamed, just repeating what I was told.

I have noticed inflation here in Pattaya as well. My neighborhood restaurant increased the price of all rice dishes by 5 baht- still affordable smile.png One restaurant serving German food increased entrees by 10 baht, again still affordable but when coupled with a weak USD, it adds up.

I was in the USA for most of 2012 and noticed a lot of inflation there as well.

Just the way it is...

When I was in Nan last February the only thing I could find to eat in town was rice soup... at about 35 baht a bowl. That is all I could find after stopping in about 15 cafes. I'm sure there must be some proper restaurants but I couldn't find any. I was finally stuck eating at my hotel's buffet for about 250 baht. I can get a nice Thai meal in Chiang Mai for 40 baht.

Its lights out at Nan at 8pm up at 5 am,beautiful place