Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive It Is To Live In Isaan These Days?

kristophon

I'll emphasise it just in-case it was missed ...

... oh and then there was the wifes cream which was probably about half of it...

Call me Sherlock baby ...

-

There we go, mystery solved.

Who knows maybe the missus is making a markup on it, smart budget management indeed. . .

Here's a hot tip for those still in an early-enough position to negotiate these things.

Household expenses like essential food and utilities are a completely separate expense category from discretionary luxuries like your steak & beer and her face cream.

Budget accordingly, and most importantly, hand over the readies separately in order to account for them properly.

In my household the face cream comes out of the same allowance she could use to save for her next iPhone or choose to help her parents. You can see very different spending decisions are made when it's coming out of HER money as opposed to the imagined unlimited-ATM-in-the-sky.

• Like 2

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why don't you post the receipt? something is obviously amiss.

What everyone has thus far missed was this little gem of a confession ...

well.. we bought some spaghetti... oh and then there was the wifes cream which was probably about half of it... and I think she bought some kitchen plates... oh yeah... and some tuna...

... oh and then there was the wifes cream which was probably about half of it...

Call me Sherlock baby ... giggle.gif

yes... good spot... also I forgot to mention the 6no. 5 litre red wine boxes and the 5 crates of leo... do you think that might have something to do with it?...

Edited by kristophon

OK... lets factor in inflation

a bottle of leo beer in 2006 = 37baht

a bottle of leo beer in 2013 = 50baht (unless u by it in tescos - to all you tesco haters out there)

so lets say inflation in 7 years of 33%

33% of 975000baht = 321750baht = £7150

So to have the same standard of living we were enjoying 7 years ago, I would need to send over an additional £7150 + £6666 = £13816 (hence the term 'double wammy')

right.. lets summarise

Cost to live like a king back in 2006 = £15000

Cost to live like a king in 2013 = £15000 + £13816 = £28816 netto....

basically in 7 years, the cost of living for a UK farang in Thailand has almost doubled...

Man ... I'm doing my Tax at the moment, I need some-one is flexible with the truth figures ... care to assist?

I'm gonna save me heeps if you do them!

I think by far the biggest cause of the increase in cost of living for farangs during the last 10 years has been the exchange rate. This is more important than the rate of inflation for those who import their living expenses. In 2004, I remember the baht/pound rate was briefly 75. I bought a condo then with a rate of 72. I sold recently at 49. Overall, I made a nice profit in pound terms, but not much in baht terms. Did I get richer or not?

In fact when I graph my net worth over time from 2004, including the value of several property purchases which I still own, I get richer when I calculate in pounds but poorer when I calculate in baht. So am I getting richer or poorer? I live in Thailand and live on pounds I bring in annually or for property purchases..

at last someone who actually understands the problem!!!...

my point is that the old pound note doesn`t seem to go that far anymore and I was wondering if anyone else was feeling the pinch.
Personally I send over an amount every year to budget on.. for that year...
For example.. lets just assume that I`ve sent over the same amount, say £15000 every year for the last 7 years... so 7 years ago (2006), at a rate of say 65baht I`d have ended up with 975000baht to budget on. This year (2013), at a rate of 45baht, I`m getting nearly one 3rd less at 675000baht... quite obviously if you want the same standard of living you had 7 years ago, its going to cost an extra 300000baht (or at 45baht a woppin extra £6666.66). And thats before you have factored in inflation.

17500 baht gone.. easy... 70 packs of ham... to be fair... thats alot of godamned ham...

but seriously... as i tried to point out, it was an initial spend... we stocked up on alot of stuff that we wouldnt normally buy.. and there was wine and beer in there too... was expecting around 10-13K ish... was just surprised. The check was probably about as long as me...

At least the baht is now shifting in the right direction ay... the problem is you always equate it to that what it was when you first arrived and got used to... (ie around 65)... fortuantely i bought my house/pickup when it was peaking at 75 so shouldnt grumble too much... what comes round goes round right?

a bottle of leo beer in 2013 = 50baht (unless u by it in tescos - to all you tesco haters out there)

So to have the same standard of living we were enjoying 7 years ago, I would need to send over an additional £7150 + £6666 = £13816 (hence the term 'double wammy')

right.. lets summarise

basically in 7 years, the cost of living for a UK farang in Thailand has almost doubled...

so allowing for inflation from 2006 to 2013 we now need 975000baht plus 33% = 1296750baht for that same standard of living that we had in 2006.

at todays rate of about 46.5 baht... = a wopping £27887.00

so by 2020, if we want the same standard of living as in 2006 we need to add on another 7 years inflation at say 33%...

1296750 x 33% = 1724677baht = £37090 netto (assuming the rate stays at 46.5). If the rate recovered to its best (say around 70) thats only £24640....

so lets face it... its the exchange rate thats doing us in bad... not inflation...

Edited by kristophon

I think you may have hit the nail on the head about what the real problem is, for some. Being Australian we haven't had that problem, and our exchange rate to the baht is still running at historically high rates If you look back at the past 40+ years where it rarely, if ever got above 25.

Although you will get no argument from me about prices rising. Of course they have, and they will continue to do so, but the impact for me is minimal really.

tesco all over thailand are expensive...hows thai shop there is a mystery

Different reasons;

1. Tesco often puts its stores where there are no other supermarkets or air conditioned places!. Nan is one example I know well and a very popular place it is for shoppers who have not hada supermarket experience like it before.

2. Not all Thais are too poor to shop in supermarkets - many in the big cities are well enough off.

3. Tesco has expanded its supermarkets all over Thailand and most people can get to one reasonably easily.

4. The demise of Carrefore has reduced competition and choice for middle class Thai shoppers, so Tesco is one of those limited choices.

5. Some of the clothes ranges are not bad in price and variety and they also stock the larger sizes suitable for the bigger Thai and farang.

right.. lets summarise

Man ... I'm doing my Tax at the moment, I need some-one is flexible with the truth figures ... care to assist?

I'm gonna save me heeps if you do them!

I think by far the biggest cause of the increase in cost of living for farangs during the last 10 years has been the exchange rate. This is more important than the rate of inflation for those who import their living expenses. In 2004, I remember the baht/pound rate was briefly 75. I bought a condo then with a rate of 72. I sold recently at 49. Overall, I made a nice profit in pound terms, but not much in baht terms. Did I get richer or not?

In fact when I graph my net worth over time from 2004, including the value of several property purchases which I still own, I get richer when I calculate in pounds but poorer when I calculate in baht. So am I getting richer or poorer? I live in Thailand and live on pounds I bring in annually or for property purchases..

Express the problem more simply and maybe posters would understand it quicker?

Express the problem more simply and maybe posters would understand it quicker?

I don't have a problem - I just posed a simple question - you spotted it yet? - (clue: it's followed by a question mark).

Edited by Card

Note: Guys with Isaan wives on salaries get upset when it's pointed out.

It's called housekeeping.

Did your mother get any?

what is this ? 19th century?

'Housekeeping' lol.

The land of illusions for the easily self tricked. :whistling:

People making their decision it's time to retire to the LoS due to a temporarily low baht value at the time. Just like people basing their consumption levels on their net worth based on the top of an insanely inflated housing or stock market bubble, then measuring their losses from there rather than comparing to ten years ago.

Although given the "new normal" inflicted on us by government's "solutions" things that ten years may not be looking so great down the road.

Looking like Iceland got it right, better to take the crash, let them fail less moral hazard for the future too.

• Like 1

Did your mother get any?

I think the post is about 21st century Isan and the OP finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet financially.

Did your mother get any?

I think the post is about 21st century Isan and the OP finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet financially.

I don't. wai2.gif

Beer 50 Baht', E20 36 Baht a litre, lunch, whatever. If it's too expensive.......then move on. I have only lived permanently in Thailand since 2001, but first came here in 1987. It's all relative.

Sent from my KG1517-Max using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tesco is a killer. I try to stay away from there but once a week at least 750 Baht for a single guy, who eats out. Buy the ham at 50 Baht per packet. The imported old cheese at 180 Baht does me in. Ham, cheese, yogurt, coffee, milk, fruit, pop.

-

Who knows maybe the missus is making a markup on it, smart budget management indeed. . .

Here's a hot tip for those still in an early-enough position to negotiate these things.

Household expenses like essential food and utilities are a completely separate expense category from discretionary luxuries like your steak & beer and her face cream.

Budget accordingly, and most importantly, hand over the readies separately in order to account for them properly.

In my household the face cream comes out of the same allowance she could use to save for her next iPhone or choose to help her parents. You can see very different spending decisions are made when it's coming out of HER money as opposed to the imagined unlimited-ATM-in-the-sky.

-

But then if you do not hand over the "readies" like rent, electricity etc....you are in an even better situation.....more money for food, women and wine!

• 3 months later...

i live in unbon and yes getting very expensive now in essan my wife and two kids gets 500 barth a day when a am in new zealand

and she's saying she wants more the 500 barth is only for food for her and the kids all other expensive are paid by me

i think you should go to the local market and buy food still cheaper than TESCOs!!

You are not being told the truth.

My wife gets 200 baht a day for food and that includes 50 baht to each of my kids for their school snacks. She also buys petrol with that. This puts a substantial meal for 4 on our dinner table, with plenty left for the 3 dogs.

I know Aberdonians are meant to be tight, but that is phenomenal.

I have read all 175 posts and it seems that beer is the most mentioned item in the "basket" of expenses. I quit drinking years ago so I'm not concerned with the price but for those that are have you ever considered to quit drinking (beer)? That would not only be a healthy choice but would lower your monthly expenses.

I have read all 175 posts and it seems that beer is the most mentioned item in the "basket" of expenses. I quit drinking years ago so I'm not concerned with the price but for those that are have you ever considered to quit drinking (beer)? That would not only be a healthy choice but would lower your monthly expenses.

You're right of course. On this and on most other budget oriented threads the dominant theme is the price of beer. It's rather sad.

And while I'm at it, how is it that people who have been in Thailand for years still can't spell the four letter word used for the local currency. It's BAHT, for heavens sake. Not bath or barth as it's been called here (in the latter case by a New Zealander, so there isn't even the non-English language thing to use as mitigation.

B

A

H

T

Try it . . it's really not that hard. Four letters. It should take around 2 seconds to memorise and get right.

Try living in the U.K!

It's half the price of Thailand!

CCC

and rental properties in London are a fraction of those in Nakhon Nowhwere whistling.gif

I must admit, though, that London apart the UK does seem relatively cheap at the moment for SOME things at least. I was up in the Sheffield / Manchester area in August and was amazed at the price of rental properties in a nice developed part of Manchester - around the quays area. Not cheap by Thai standards, but not hideously expensive in a London / HK way that I was paying for the last 4 years.

Supermarket food is very cheap too . . especially when you consider that competition means most of the chains are doing buy one get one free type promos.

Of course, things like fuel, power, taxes, rates and all the modern must haves like cable tv are prohibitively expensive compared to Thailand.

Try living in the U.K!

It's half the price of Thailand!

CCC

and rental properties in London are a fraction of those in Nakhon Nowhwere whistling.gif

I must admit, though, that London apart the UK does seem relatively cheap at the moment for SOME things at least. I was up in the Sheffield / Manchester area in August and was amazed at the price of rental properties in a nice developed part of Manchester - around the quays area. Not cheap by Thai standards, but not hideously expensive in a London / HK way that I was paying for the last 4 years.

Supermarket food is very cheap too . . especially when you consider that competition means most of the chains are doing buy one get one free type promos.

Of course, things like fuel, power, taxes, rates and all the modern must haves like cable tv are prohibitively expensive compared to Thailand.

Compared to Germany i think that cable tv, internet and mobile phone is quite expensive for what you get in Thailand. And compared to the average Thai income the prices for some things are more than ridiculously high.

16Meg Internet flatrate, phone flatrate for landline and mobile calls, sim card with flatrate including mobile internet, flatrate calls to 38 foreign countries, Galaxy S4 or Iphone 5 included for only 1900B in Germany thumbsup.gif

What do i get in Thailand? 1000B for my crappy 13Meg True online, 1000B for my crappy True 3G XXL sim with NO phone included. Thats 2000B already and i don´t have all that other free stuff included. True HD Platinum 2.155B, omg. The same or not much less of what it is at home (depending on the provider).

Like already mentioned, food in Germany is also cheap as hell, even local made products in Thai supermarkets aren´t really cheaper than stuff back home. I mean things like meat, bread, rice, not the fancy stuff. Some things in Thailand are really really expensive and i would like to know why. Of course you can live very cheap here but i still don´t get it why many basic things are so out of this world compared to the average income here.

And as a fan of Thai street food i have to say that the prices incrase and the quality sinks, or both. Some dishes for 50-60B are made of cheap crap meat and rice. A real shame for Thai food. My last Grapaow Muu Sapp was a real shame, the meat consistet of some mashed bones and the cheapest crap rice.

Edited by I knew this would happen
  • Like 1

Like already mentioned, food in Germany is also cheap as hell, even local made products in Thai supermarkets aren´t really cheaper than stuff back home. I mean things like meat, bread, rice, not the fancy stuff. Some things in Thailand are really really expensive and i would like to know why. Of course you can live very cheap here but i still don´t get it why many basic things are so out of this world compared to the average income here.

And as a fan of Thai street food i have to say that the prices incrase and the quality sinks, or both. Some dishes for 50-60B are made of cheap crap meat and rice. A real shame for Thai food. My last Grapaow Muu Sapp was a real shame, the meat consistet of some mashed bones and the cheapest crap rice.

The reason why some things are more expensive here than back home (at least in relative income terms) is because there is no big middle class. It is simply economics. There is a huge lower class and a very small upper class (still a good number in absolute numbers), but the middle class, though growing, still doesn't make up much of the population.

So that means that there are lots of products aimed at the lower class = very cheap (but crap quality) and products aimed at the upper class, but few products aimed at the middle class.

Middle class items in Europe are upper class items here, so prices are going to be higher because of the fact that there are fewer of these items sold and therefore lower aggregate profit.

I also agree on the declining quality of street food. Don't even eat it these days because the quality and quantity of meat has gone down so much.

• Like 1