Thailand's English Skills Lowest In S E A

Lite Beer

AEC
Thailand's English skills lowest in SEA
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The JobStreet.com English Language Assessment (JELA) results show Singapore workers have the highest average score while Thai workers have the lowest. The results are from the 1,540,785 assessment takers in the Southeast Asia countries of Singapore, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

JELA consists of 40 questions randomly picked out from the 1,000 questions of the programme. The assessment results show assessment takers from Singapore obtained the highest scores at an average of 81 percent, followed by the Philippines at 73 percent, Malaysia at 72 percent, Indonesia at 59 percent and Thailand at 55 percent.

For Thailand, the assessment takers from the News/Editorial, Marketing/Business Development and Secretarial/Executive & Personal Assistant careers got the highest scores on average.

The assessment takers were from many positions and levels, from the junior executives and senior executives to managers and senior managers. It was found that entry level employees of three or less years got the lowest scores on average when compared with the other job levels in same countries.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-11

• Like 1

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also to find out just how well known these tests are I Googled "jela" nothing zilch nada......

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

We already know its the lowest. Very evident regardless of the questions, especially when you travel around. The questions probably range from really simple to complex. Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

The Thai government has known this for years but ... !

Four years ago when working at a Technical School in North Isan the staff were shown a video made for the government by an independant company on how ready the country was for the coming Asian Economic Group and English language was one of the points covered. In short this video slated everything and stated Thailand was not ready to compete.

At the end of the video my boss, an American educated Thai. who had been translating the main points for me was shocked because he just could not believe the government had sent out such a damning video.

I asked what he thought would be done and his response was along the lines of " very little if anything ".

• Like 2

I have two sons, Thai American. Their English is very good, but I only speak to them in English. They both go to Thai schools, not international schools. One son is in regular class and the other is in HM the Kings class at the same school. The quality of teaching is different. in the Kings class the English teacher is from the USA. In the regular class they are Philippine or Indian.

When I came here in 1966, I was in the US Army and worked with Thais. Some of them were very fluent in English, but they were trained by the Army.

The problem with the English language usage in Thailand is oral communication and comprehension. The majority listen to the English and than translate it to Thai in their head. Professor Brown at AUA taught the total immersion program, learn by listening.

Must be a good way; poor kids selling copied goods in Cambodia shocked me with clear, fluent American slang. 'Hey there man, you wanna buy some cigarettes?' After years in Thailand, that is a surprise and....supports what you said & shows the backwardness, pride, uncultured and unexposed tendencies here, with some exception in Bangkok.

It would be quite helpful, if Thai teachers realised that there are millions of bilingual people in the world and they achieve basic bilingual ability without even trying. If I have heard one Thai teacher state that learning two languages simultaneously is too difficult, I have heard 20.

• Like 2

The problem is nothing to do with white teachers. The majority of Thais are taught by Thai teachers who are afraid to speak english (even if they could), and use Thai 95% of the time. I'm still astounded that the average government school graduate can say barely more than hello, even after 12 years of learning english. There are plenty of excellent speakers of english here, educated in private / international schools / overseas, but they are in the vast minority of all citizens.

reiterate . . .

"Several years ago I was in the situation of having to correspond at length with the head of the English department at one of the big Bangkok Universities . . . the lady in charge of teaching the teachers. I was astonished to discover that her written English was probably similar to that of a bright UK/USA/Aus etc 8-or 9-year-old . . . ie, confident but littered with grammatical and structural mistakes."

• Like 2

I wonder how much better their results are; than say, Cambodia or Vietnam?

Reiterate . . .

"And will it keep its back turned with even fiercer pride, and shout even more loudly about how much finer the nation is than its . . . neighbours?"

• Like 1

The problem is nothing to do with white teachers. The majority of Thais are taught by Thai teachers who are afraid to speak english (even if they could), and use Thai 95% of the time. I'm still astounded that the average government school graduate can say barely more than hello, even after 12 years of learning english. There are plenty of excellent speakers of english here, educated in private / international schools / overseas, but they are in the vast minority of all citizens.

This gets to the heart of the problem with Thai teachers passing on the bad English they themselves were taught. I taught for quite a few years including university level and soon stopped being surprised at the stories the students told me of how they had learned, or not learned , in High School.

Most had never really put a sentence or two of spoken English together in class as the teacher couldn't handle it and the students knew it.

I know quite a few people who have a BA in English but from their spoken English you would never believe it.

I have two sons, Thai American. Their English is very good, but I only speak to them in English. They both go to Thai schools, not international schools. One son is in regular class and the other is in HM the Kings class at the same school. The quality of teaching is different. in the Kings class the English teacher is from the USA. In the regular class they are Philippine or Indian.

When I came here in 1966, I was in the US Army and worked with Thais. Some of them were very fluent in English, but they were trained by the Army.

The problem with the English language usage in Thailand is oral communication and comprehension. The majority listen to the English and than translate it to Thai in their head. Professor Brown at AUA taught the total immersion program, learn by listening.

Must be a good way; poor kids selling copied goods in Cambodia shocked me with clear, fluent American slang. 'Hey there man, you wanna buy some cigarettes?' After years in Thailand, that is a surprise and....supports what you said & shows the backwardness, pride, uncultured and unexposed tendencies here, with some exception in Bangkok.

It would be quite helpful, if Thai teachers realised that there are millions of bilingual people in the world and they achieve basic bilingual ability without even trying. If I have heard one Thai teacher state that learning two languages simultaneously is too difficult, I have heard 20.

Well . . .of course! But the way it happens is that children are exposed to both languages continually and absorb both equally. Although I'm English I grew up speaking Afrikaans without any teaching - Johannesburg was a bi-lingual culture. And the only way this happens in Thailand is in a household where both Thai and English are continually spoken. It doesn't happen in Thai society and it certainly doesn't happen in Thai schools.

R

• Like 2

You mean it needed tests to come to this conclusion?

Several years ago I was in the situation of having to correspond at length with the head of the English department at one of the big Bangkok Universities . . . the lady in charge of teaching the teachers. I was astonished to discover that her written English was probably similar to that of a bright UK/USA/Aus etc 8-or 9-year-old . . . ie, confident but littered with grammatical and structural mistakes.

Will the Thai nation remain smug and offhand when it is suddenly out in the same competitive trading arena as the other ASEAN countries?

And will it keep its back turned with even fiercer pride, and shout even more loudly about how much finer the nation is than its . . . neighbours?

YOOOOOOOOOO BETCHA IT WILL!

R

I still think we'll see the ol' two step flip-flop on ASEAN... I feel Thailand won't be ready and they are not going to expose themselves to a rush of workers from other countries that can speak English... they will "take the Thai jobs" away and I can't see that happening...

• Like 2

This gets to the heart of the problem with Thai teachers passing on the bad English they themselves were taught. I taught for quite a few years including university level and soon stopped being surprised at the stories the students told me of how they had learned, or not learned , in High School.

Most had never really put a sentence or two of spoken English together in class as the teacher couldn't handle it and the students knew it.

I know quite a few people who have a BA in English but from their spoken English you would never believe it.

Another point to keep in mind is that A Thai university first degree (BA, BSc) is roughly of the standard of an International Baccalaureate ie UK equivalent of 'A' Levels. Add this to the general abysmal English teaching mix and draw your own conclusions!

R

But there isn't even a modest attempt. I have yet to see on Thai domestic television, one children's program from the west, with the original sountrack. There is Chris Delivery, but he is on at 10pm. The cinemas still put out dubbed soundtracks which are infinitely more popular than original soundtracks.

Then, to round it all off, I have yet to find a Thai high school student who can read out loud confidently in English. My niece who is an extremely smart kid, is attending an intensive English speaking course, is coming to see me every night for an hour or so to read English out loud to me, just to train herself to be able to pronounce English properly. I admire her effort, but at 22, she is attempting to do this 15 years too late. Apparently all her companions on this course want elocution lessons from me.

Patently, the entire concept of teaching languages is very screwed up in this country.

Well said. Spot on.

MSN-Emoticon-006.gif

R

• Like 2

BMA schools told to improve math and language skills for students

BANGKOK, 11 June 2013 (NNT)-The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has convened a meeting with BMA school staff to raise the standards of education to prepare students for the formation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC).

Deputy Bangkok Governor Pusadee Tamthai, who chaired the meeting, said that the BMA has always emphasized the importance of education and wishes to prepare students at all BMA schools for the economic integration of ASEAN countries in 2015.

Joining the meeting are BMA school executives and coordinators. The Deputy Governor has presented them with a 3-point policy which includes the proper use of Thai language, mathematical strength and foreign language skills.

She said the objective of the meeting is to improve students’ skills in the mentioned areas which are key in their real life and daily living skills. The meeting also serves as a platform for educators to share their ideas and experience in order for them to move in the same direction in the national education improvement.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-11 footer_n.gif