Teak Furniture

patrickq

I've searched Chiang mai forum for posts on furniture and couldn't find anything relevant recently.

So if anyone can help me by recommending a manufacturer it would be great. I am down in Chonburi/Rayong and the prices here are way too high, so as I'm after several pieces it will make sense to go further afield. I'll list some indicators of the kind of factors to consider and hope that someone has just found a fabulous manufacturer!

Considerations:

Most pieces to be solid teak (not veneer), wood to be middle/top quality.

Workmanship to be good/excellent, want the furniture to last and function for decades not months.

Reliability - don't want lot's of false promises.

Natural/oiled finish.

I'll be providing rough designs, needs someone who has existing products that can be modified where necessary, or who can translate my designs into reality.

Contemporary style with traditional influences.

Looking for someone who takes pride in the finish of their work, not someone who will leave the initially unseen bits unfinished.

Pieces such as: Dining Table, Dining Chairs, Day Bed, Tall Boy, Bathroom Glass Fronted Cabinet, Bedside Tables, Desk, Bookshelf, Chaise Longue, 3 Drawer/Door Floor Standing Kitchen Cabinet, Kitchen Table.

Reasonable prices, for example about 7,000B for Kitchen Cabinet?

Also looking for picture/mirror frame maker.

Any questions then fire away.

Thanks ....... Patrick

Chiangmai Teakwood Furniture Ltd.,Part(1998)

Showroom: 141 Moo5 Chiangmai-Hangdong Rd., T.Sunpukvan A.Hangdong Chiangmai Thailand 50230 Tel/Fax: 66-53-441553,431148 Fax: VIA 66-53-431149 email : [email protected]

Samsara furniture

Tel/Fax: 053-380366 Mobile: (00-66) 06-9125104 & 06-9235804

Nantiya Décor, teak wood furniture from our factory.

16 Moo 8, Nong Kaeo, Hang Dong, Chiang Mai.

You can try Pan Shop along Hang Dong/Ban Twai.A friend of mine buys up large there all the time and she raves about the quality of the Teak furniture. Not the cheapest, but the quality is first class.

can't find the phone number,but the e-mail address is [email protected] contact name is Mc. (sounds like Mac :o ) Her English is quite good.

Indeed Pan shop pretty good. Speak to Nikom (the owner) or Kn Oil (speaks very good English) Mind you, I myself bought a big dining table from them with still living woodworms. After 2 "repairs" they are now making me a new one. At least they care!

Why don't you visit Chiang Mai and I will show you around the manufacturers and suppliers?

Indeed Pan shop pretty good. Speak to Nikom (the owner) or Kn Oil (speaks very good English) Mind you, I myself bought a big dining table from them with still living woodworms. After 2 "repairs" they are now making me a new one. At least they care!

Why don't you visit Chiang Mai and I will show you around the manufacturers and suppliers?

Nikom is in Europe at the mo :o

Buying Teak is similar to buying a ruby. There are some very poor quality stones being sold that are still quite genuinely rubies. Teak is no different. First off, make sure the moisture content of the wood going into your furniture is no higher that 10% (6% ideal). Look at the number of growth rings; if they are wide apart you are probably looking at teak plantation thinnings and the price should be 'considerably' lower. Old growth teak may have 25 - 30 + rings per inch and be 'considerably' more expensive.

Look at the colour of the wood; generally the more washed out the colour the younger it is. However, colour varies greatly with teak from dark chocolate brown to the light golden teak. Darker coloured wood is generally more dense . However...most cheap teak furniture is stained to look better than it is.

Look at furniture that has already be made. Look at the joints and especially if they have used

any filler goop to enhance their poor joinery (very common).

Best thing to do is buy one piece at a moderate price. Take it home and study it. The odds are that you will not make that same mistake twice. ;-)

...Ken