Carp, on lam

jackinbkk

It's been about 5 years now since I caught my last siamese carp and it was on lam. It was at that little Phuket fishing park. The place was full of nice little 15 to 20lb kaho back then.

I remember there was one spot where the water was about 2.5 metres deep and it seemed that if you fished that spot you'd always get a carp, more often in fact than the catfish which must have been the usual catch 80% of the time. The other 20% being nearly always a pacu. Those things eat everything!

Anyway the funny thing was that even fishing a float maybe a metre off bottom you'd still hook siamese carp. From what I've found in other venues though you usually have to fish the bottom to hook a kaho.

I'm in England at the moment and I have tried various baits that I can fish like lam. Anything from fish meal to soaked pellets to actual bran powder.

I am really curious if anyone has ever seen a siamese carp at the surface like we often see this time of the year with European common carp? Has anyone ever caught a siamese carp mid water or above?

I've caught big head and silver carp this way but that's the norm for those species.

Has anyone ever seen a siamese carp jump? European carp aren't the most athletic, in fact they look like they have beer bellies alot of the time but they do jump a bit this time of the year.

It's been about 5 years now since I caught my last siamese carp and it was on lam. It was at that little Phuket fishing park. The place was full of nice little 15 to 20lb kaho back then.

I remember there was one spot where the water was about 2.5 metres deep and it seemed that if you fished that spot you'd always get a carp, more often in fact than the catfish which must have been the usual catch 80% of the time. The other 20% being nearly always a pacu. Those things eat everything!

Anyway the funny thing was that even fishing a float maybe a metre off bottom you'd still hook siamese carp. From what I've found in other venues though you usually have to fish the bottom to hook a kaho.

I'm in England at the moment and I have tried various baits that I can fish like lam. Anything from fish meal to soaked pellets to actual bran powder.

I am really curious if anyone has ever seen a siamese carp at the surface like we often see this time of the year with European common carp? Has anyone ever caught a siamese carp mid water or above?

I've caught big head and silver carp this way but that's the norm for those species.

Has anyone ever seen a siamese carp jump? European carp aren't the most athletic, in fact they look like they have beer bellies alot of the time but they do jump a bit this time of the year.

I have never seen Kaho actually jump but I have seen them break the surface showing there whole body, I have also seen a big Kaho caught near the surface but this was just lucky, as for Phuket fishing park I have caught many carp there on Lam, this was float fishing just under the surface, so the answer your question is yes, Kaho can be caught in places other than the bottom!!

I have never seen Kaho actually jump but I have seen them break the surface showing there whole body, I have also seen a big Kaho caught near the surface but this was just lucky, as for Phuket fishing park I have caught many carp there on Lam, this was float fishing just under the surface, so the answer your question is yes, Kaho can be caught in places other than the bottom!!

So fishing somewhere like Cha am you'd fish the bottom if you wanted a kaho though right? It's usually the most practical method.

Since the majority of expat frequented fishing venues are stocked and fed, the larger fish are generally catch and release.

You can probably buy one that you caught, but the cost of several hundred pounds of feed would be factored in to a 50 lb fish, and that gets real expensive for predator fish.

And selling off the larger fish would be like cooking the goose that lays the golden eggs. It takes years for the fish to reach the "fun" size.

Some lakes will allow you to keep the smaller fish, like snakehead, barramundi, tilapia and pacu. Some charge by the kg, others include it in the price of a days' fishing and some will cook it for you, too- for a fee. Basically, many are fish farms that supplement their income by allowing folks to fish their stock ponds.

Out of the fee lakes, I've seen people keep fish so small I wouldn't use them for bait. Even sadder, I've seen people catch small fish and leave them dead on the bank without eating them. But that's not unique to Asia.

Edited by impulse

Curious. Do you just catch and release? I only ask because in the US I have never seen anyone eat one of these bottom feeders, other than some in the deep south.

Yes the Thai's will eat these.

Look at the Asian carp you have in the Mississippi now. They are eaten by Asians but Americans seem to turn their noses up at them. You should at least harvest them and use them for fertilizer or animal feed. Its a great source of protein.

• Like 1