Visa For Internship

I hope someone can help me, cause I'm so confused right now. I will come to Thailand in June for 6 months training at a hotel. I know that you need a non immigrant visa and a work permit if you are going to work in Thailand. But is that only reffered to those who receive salary? Because I will not get any salary, so is it really necessary for trainees to have a work permit?

It's difficult to get a non immigrant visa here in Sweden so now I will go on a tourist visa instead.

But the tourist visa is only for 2 months. What does the procedure look like if you're in Thailand on a tourist visa and want to stay for at least 6 months? First 1 month extension in Thailand, and then visa run? If I go on a visa run, how much longer can I stay in Thailand after that, 1 months, 3 months?

If someone please could give me some answers to this, I would be ever so thankful.

The Thai Government also permits certain aliens to work without a permit on a very limited and highly discretionary basis. An alien should contact the Labor Department to confirm whether he or she actually falls under one of these exceptions.

See WORK PERMITS and Working the legal way in Thailand.

See also Alien Employment Act (Part I) and (part II) and Work Permit.

Can you clarify what you mean about what you would "never ever ever advocate" please. For many people it is not just unclear, it is clearly ambiguous.

If you are a non Thai intern for a Thai firm, you are clearly working even if it's for free. In ALL cases we would advocate to get the work permit. Thats the Thai law and that is what we follow in all cases.

See also General visa information.

8. Foreigners entering Thailand are not allowed to work, regardless of their types of visa,unless they are granted a work permit. Information on Work Permit application could be obtained from the website of the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour
Edited by vinny

I know that you need a non immigrant visa and a work permit if you are going to work in Thailand. But is that only reffered to those who receive salary?

No matter if you get a salary or not you need a work permit. We have on average 2 or 3 interns that work with our firm from overseas a year and they all needed a work permit even if the college paid all their bills and they had no salary.

Because I will not get any salary, so is it really necessary for trainees to have a work permit?

Yes and if you look at the paperwork from the school. It states the Employer and you must abide by all laws in the host country.

It's difficult to get a non immigrant visa here in Sweden so now I will go on a tourist visa instead.

Have the Hotel apply for the WP3 and send the approval and invite letter, company docs. Stockholm will accept this and grant a single entry 90 day visa. You can apply for the extension of stay based on business in Bangkok, if you get the letter from the school stating that you are an Intern and the letter is certified by the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok (No need to have it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) You also need a letter from the Employer stating you are an Intern. You can start work the same day you arrive in Bangkok on this option after picking up your work permit (Must take your medical certificate and pictures to the Labor Dept)

Second Option... Have the hotel send the invitation letter and company documents. Go to Copenhagen by train. Obtain a Multi entry visa there if you plan on doing a visa run in 90 days. Otherwise get a single entry and apply for the extension of stay based on business.

But the tourist visa is only for 2 months. What does the procedure look like if you're in Thailand on a tourist visa and want to stay for at least 6 months? First 1 month extension in Thailand, and then visa run? If I go on a visa run, how much longer can I stay in Thailand after that, 1 months, 3 months?

If you enter in on a tourist visa. You need to change it to a non B visa Get the letter from the school stating that you are an Intern and the letter is certified by the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok (No need to have it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) You also need a letter from the Employer stating you are an Intern. You'll need all the company doc's and resume, etc.

www.lawyer.th.com