Visa Run From Kanchanaburi

kelv23

Pretty simple question really. Where and what are the options for doing a visa run from Kanchanaburi area? Been on the BKK to Poipet or wherever they go to now once or twice, so fully aware of that, I was wondering what the other options are. Does the Burma border have one further south or is it on to Malaysia nowadays?

Cheers

Pretty simple question really. Where and what are the options for doing a visa run from Kanchanaburi area? Been on the BKK to Poipet or wherever they go to now once or twice, so fully aware of that, I was wondering what the other options are. Does the Burma border have one further south or is it on to Malaysia nowadays?

Cheers

there was a thread a while ago regarding a new border crossing to Burma from Kan and whether there may be a possibility of doing border runs there.

Anyone got an update?

there was a thread a while ago regarding a new border crossing to Burma from Kan and whether there may be a possibility of doing border runs there.

Anyone got an update?

I was thinking about this crossing only a few days ago. One was supposed to be opening up at Ban Phoo Nam Ron not far from an existing crossing for locals only at Ban Bong Thii.

OP, the three nearest for you are Aranyaphret/Poipet, Mae Sot or Ranong.

Edited by Gazza

At 3PP you can cross over but you don't get stamped in and out. Think you have to leave your passport at an immigration office in Sangkhalburi town where you'll be given a receipt to show at the 3PP border.

Edited by Gazza

Ranong was the Burma crossing I was thinking of. I used this crossing once about 5 years ago and wasn't sure if it was still open. Has anyone used it lately? Plus does anyone have the exact location of the crossing so I can plan a route if I decide to drive there. Any help would be great as I dont fancy having to take the bus to BKK to get to a visa bus for 5 am then go to the border and then have to get back to Kans.

Any help in avoiding the Poipet run is GREATLY appreciated !

If you have your own transport then it would probably be easier going to the Pong Nam Ron/Cambodia crossing about 100kms further south from Aranyaprathet.

Pong Nam Ron takes longer to get than Aran, but you'll be stamped in and out within 10-15 mins.

Just a thought.

:o

with car the better option is MAE SOT.u must not go over bkk

only a bit longer than aran/poipet. :D

and shorter than ranong

you can shopping a lot burma-stuff under the bridge (for sell later :D )

a nice and quite trip everytime...

:D

Edited by lung

does anyone know distances from Kans to Mae Sot,Ranong and Poipet?

I think if I drive I'll go to Mae Sot or Ranong as drivig over to Cambodia is a pretty tricky one AFAIK.

I'll be glad when its over....

1 more thing to ponder:

Loas crossing = $30 US (+ alittle more if you don't bring a photo)

Cambodia crossing = 1,200 baht + photo

Ranong crossing = $30 US (don't know about photo)

Malaysia crossing = Free, no photo

Mae Sot= 10 USD or 500 baht. (only 4 entry/stamps in Passport )

Cambodia = One and a half passport pages used for 4 entry/exit stamps + Cambo visa)

Gazza, thats interesting. Each time I have been to Cambodia recently, its been 1 1/2 pages every time. The Cambo Visa is a page, the Exit from Thailand, Entry / Exit Cambo and re-entry to Thailand. So 1 full page and 4 imprints for every visit. When you look at the replacement cost of a Passport, the full page Visa's becomes a "Hidden Cost"

Cambodia = One and a half passport pages used for 4 entry/exit stamps + Cambo visa)

Gazza, thats interesting. Each time I have been to Cambodia recently, its been 1 1/2 pages every time. The Cambo Visa is a page, the Exit from Thailand, Entry / Exit Cambo and re-entry to Thailand. So 1 full page and 4 imprints for every visit. When you look at the replacement cost of a Passport, the full page Visa's becomes a "Hidden Cost"

Replacement of a passport? You just add pages (free at your embassy)

Replacement of a passport? You just add pages (free at your embassy)

The British Embassy doesn't add pages.

The 'Hidden Cost' isn't too bad if you do tri-monthly visa runs, but monthly runs soon fills up your passport.

I personally prefer, funnily enough, monthly runs. :o