Chiang Rai Through Foreign Eyes

Limbo

I am sorry to be missing the opening, but I will be in Chiang Rai the last week of February, so I will be able to visit the exhibition. I hope to catch up with some of you, if not all of you during my stay.

Hope the opening goes well for you all. :o

ImageDude :D

Edited by ImageDude

We are going to have more than 150 photo's! A nice balanced collection so far!

Please let me know if you want to be mentioned in the exhibition by your real name or your nickname.

Don't forget the texts either :D !

Limbo :o

Wow Limbo 15 days more untill the big day. hope to see you all in Chiang Sean, i,ve heard that they will give wine to the visitors at the opening day :D

Sure i will come :o

I hope to see everyone there, not coming for the wine, don't they normally drink champagne at these events?

C u there!

:Dpost-29230-1169782548.gif :D

Wow Limbo 15 days more untill the big day. hope to see you all in Chiang Sean, i,ve heard that they will give wine to the visitors at the opening day :D

Sure i will come :o

I hope to see everyone there, not coming for the wine, don't they normally drink champagne at these events?

C u there!

:Dpost-29230-1169782548.gif :bah:

I will forward your suggestions to our sponsors:

Anantara Resort and Spa, Greenwing Honda Motorcycles, Dutch-Thai Cultural Society 'Wilanda' and ................. Bo's Place!

Still have to talk with Maechan's Winery :D

Limbo :D

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it's still on.

I've been told that the internet edition of the invitation for the opening coming Friday will be sent out this evening or tomorrow morning.

Hopefully we'll get to see it posted in this thread.

So tomorow is the big day, i have a request.

Because Limbo's car is packed with presidents, meyers, generals, and other high VIP,s, i am looking for someone who can give me a ride to Chiang Sean, if someone is interested to take me, i can promise you that i will behave my self (at least on the way up there) Maybe we can meet at Bo,s place, where i can buy you a beer for the trouble?

or two.

So tomorow is the big day, i have a request.

Because Limbo's car is packed with presidents, meyers, generals, and other high VIP,s, i am looking for someone who can give me a ride to Chiang Sean, if someone is interested to take me, i can promise you that i will behave my self (at least on the way up there) Maybe we can meet at Bo,s place, where i can buy you a beer for the trouble?

or two.

Only room for the high-sos', so the rest of you can walk.

Thats a bummer.

Herer are 3 pictures from the exhibition. The reason why there are no people in the pictures is because internet users are sometimes afraid of showing off their physical appearance. I have more, so if you're not shy, tell me! :o

Ok, there are a few people, but i'm sure they don't mind.

post-24806-1171165145_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1171165163_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1171165172_thumb.jpg

Edited by goski

I had no absolute favorite but there were some very nice photos. Very different as well so it never got boring even though almost everyone had at least one rice field in their exhibition :o

Here is one more, when I walked away for a short cigarette break. Nothing to do with the exhibition really but the Chiaeng Saen National Museum is a very nice place.

post-24806-1171165949_thumb.jpg

Edited by goski

What I liked a lot in the opening speech of Prof. Dr. Wanchai Sirichana, President of Mae Fah Luang University, is that he showed his appreciation for the fact that a group of foreigners living in Chiang Rai spend time and effort to share their feelings and love for Chiang Rai with the Thai population of this area.

My Thai language skills are not good, but I understood his words as if they were an invitation to join, cq take actively part in Thai society.

I think that his request for a follow-up should not go unnoticed.

For those who weren't there yet:

The exhibit shows 178 pictures taken by 16 foreign residents of Chiang Rai (covering 9 nationalities), two Thai friends and 14 students of the Suksasongkraw School of Maechan (one picture each, a project of Homer -Alaska- Rotary member Steve Yosihida, in co-operation with the Rotary Club of Maechan).

I think our special thanks should go to Khun Pramote, the Director of the Chiang Saen Museum, Khun Anchalee, curator of the museum, Khun Guy, Director of the Alliance Francaise of Chiang Rai, Khun Teera, the General Manager of Anantara Golden Triangle Resort and Spa and, yes, to Gerry1011, the initiator of several great events here in the North for his inspiring words: 'Everything is possible, if you really want it'.

Furthermore I would like to mention the graphic designer and art-teacher of the Alliance, Khun Tinnakorn 'Neung' Nugul (maybe better known as actor in several Thai movies) and our flamboyant and unsurpassed American Margarett, who together with American Jessica and Swedish Eileen did a great job during the 'hanging' of the exhibition.

But we shouldn't forget the 16 Chiang Rai 'farangs', who actually did the job.

The organization was 'a piece of cake': No complaints, no afterwards advices about how things should have been done, no big ego's messing up things.

Of course mistakes were made: One picture landed under the wrong name and another one should have been vertical instead of horizontal.

We all did our best and the compliments I got from Dr. Wanchai and Khun Pramote were to all of us. In all humbleness :D we can say that we did a great job!

Thanks Gerry1011 for showing us the way!

post-6305-1171172122_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1171172138_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1171172154_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1171172170_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1171172186_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1171172217_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1171172250_thumb.jpg

PS: Aside from Naresuan University in Pit'lok two other locations showed interest, one in Chiang Mai and one in Bangkok. In due time you will be asked if you want to show your pictures there as well.

I had no absolute favorite but there were some very nice photos. Very different as well so it never got boring even though almost everyone had at least one rice field in their exhibition :o

Here is one more, when I walked away for a short cigarette break. Nothing to do with the exhibition really but the Chiaeng Saen National Museum is a very nice place.

What magnificent colour... what's the name of that creeper?

Do you think it'd grow in a slightly warmer climate? (Pattaya/Sattahip)

Apologies for going off-topic...

I will come back with more info on that as soon as I confirm my own theory that it is called "poang gaed", "gaed" being the norhern version of the word for orange. I'm just not too sure yet :o

But, you can find it all over at the moment. Very nice color and it is possible to buy it at most bigger places that sell flowers. At least the one that is in the area of the military compound sells it.

• 5 months later...

Wednesday the 18th of July offers an excellent opportunity to visit the Rai Mae Fah Luang and see the photo exhibition "Chiang Rai Through Foreign Eyes", shown earlier in the National Museum of Chiang Saen.

Please see the thread on the Memorial Ceremony for Mae Fah Luang that day.

Six members of this forum participated in the exhibition, so be careful with your comments! :D .

In Chiang Saen we presented the pictures grouped after the makers. In Chiang Rai we decided to hang them thematically, which turned the exhibition into a collective happening.

Of the original exhibition of 172 pictures, we managed to give 104 a place at the Rai Mae Fah Luang.

Some pictures of the Rai Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park and the exhibition in the making:

post-6305-1184496035_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1184496019_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1184496005_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1184495990_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

• 2 years later...
Wednesday the 18th of July offers an excellent opportunity to visit the Rai Mae Fah Luang and see

the photo exhibition "Chiang Rai Through Foreign Eyes", shown earlier in the National Museum of Chiang Saen.

Please see the thread on the Memorial Ceremony for Mae Fah Luang that day.

Six members of this forum participated in the exhibition, so be careful with your comments! :D .

In the National Museum of Chiang Saen we presented the pictures grouped after the makers.

In Rai Mae Fah Luang Cultural Park of Chiang Rai we decided to hang them thematically, which

turned the exhibition into a collective happening.

Of the original exhibition of 172 pictures, we managed to give 104 a place at the Rai Mae Fah Luang.

Limbo :)

Some pictures of the Rai Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park and the exhibition in the making:

post-6305-1184496035_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1184496019_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1184496005_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1184495990_thumb.jpg

If I remember well our exhibition was seen by about twelve thousand visitors during the four months that

it was on show at both locations and it was appreciated by many.

Some of us made brilliant photo's and others much less brilliant photo's, but together we intermediated a good

impression of what we, foreign residents of Chiang Rai considered to be worth to point the lenses of our cameras at.

Thus we enabled the visitors of the exhibition to a certain extend to look through our eyes and that is where it was

all about.

It was very good PR for the 'farang' in Chiang Rai as well.

At least we gave the impression that we really like Chiang Rai and, even stronger, that we consider it a privelige to be here.

We gave, as foreigners, a little respectful contribution to the cultural life of Chiang Rai.

In the mean time this is almost three years ago, the 16 participants of the nine nations represented got together almost 50

years older and it might be time to see if there are enough souls among us that would like to do another funny thing this year.

The first project was sponsored and organized by the Dutch-Thai Cultural Society 'Wilanda' Chiang Rai in collaboration with the

French Centre of the Mae Fah Luang University (that's why its former President, Dr. Wanchai, was so kind to speak some words

at the vernissage), the Alliance Francaise and the National Museum of Chiang Saen and the Rai Mae Fah Luang in Chiang Rai

('branch' of the Royal Doi Tung Foundation).

Anyhow, it doesn't matter who formally organizes it, but is anybody interested?

My thoughts are going in the direction of snapshots (mobile phone camera's) and short movies (five to ten minutes).

This time not the documental style but refreshing artistic!

Crazy things with other words, unique things, remarcable things...

Pictures or films taken by yourself, your neighbours, your wife, your children, students of your classes, a mix of Thai and Bignoses.

I will go and talk a little bit here and there and see what the possibilities are, as the product should relate to its consumers.

Just send me a PM, but if you have idea's we can, if McGriffith is OK with it, also discuss them here.

But it depends also on George, the owner of this forum. He is not really fond of cultural things and he wanted me to disconnect

the exhibition project from the forum which I of course had to do.

Maybe the co-operation with The Nation made him think different (and he also got three years older/wiser).

Limbo :D

We can use 'Wilanda' again!

Crazy things with other words, unique things, remarcable things...

Just send me a PM, but if you have idea's we can, if McGriffith is OK with it, also discuss them here.

McGriffith is always OK!

I am in (again)!

:D:D:D

Great!

Let's make a nice thing of it!

Gentlemen, it is a go!

I must apologize to Anantara Resort and Spa and to Greenwing , the biggest Honda Motorbike dealership of

Northern Thailand with more than fifty branches, because I forgot to mention their well appreciated sponsoring.

It's great that this kind of initiatives of foreigners even can count on support of renowned Thai companies.

• 2 weeks later...
Altough........... how are you gonna frame a movie ??

That's the simplest thing in the world!

You just make a frame around your screen or monitor.

Then you switch on the player that you previously connected to this very screen,

push the appropriate buttons and you will see the movie within the frame. :D

Don't forget that we have a lot of expertise among us, so it will work out

the one way or the other. :D

We are not in a hurry; the 'Chiang Rai through Foreign Eyes' idea was posted here for the first

time 30 March 2006 and it was almost one year later 9 February 2007 that the former President

of the Mae Fah Luang University, Prof. Dr. Wanchai, cut the ribbon in Chiang Saen National Museum.

In June the exhibition moved to the Rai Mae Fah Luang in Muang Chiang Rai and was hanging there untill

late August. In September 2007 most pictures had found their way back to the participants in the project.

A total time span of 18 months.

For a little bit anticipatory pleasure please see Angkrit's Mantra 100118, with the subtitle:

'Spiritual Transformation' on Monday 18th January 2010 ChiangRai, Thailand

PS: There is still one person who didn't get his pictures back, namely good old Tony (he must be 83 or 84 now).

He moved to a village near Payao and I didn't see him since.

He made the pictures in Mae Sai in 1946 when he was a young soldier in the British Army.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1265259293_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

We are not in a hurry; the 'Chiang Rai through Foreign Eyes' idea was posted here for the first

time 30 March 2006 and it was almost one year later 9 February 2007 that the former President

of the Mae Fah Luang University, Prof. Dr. Wanchai, cut the ribbon in Chiang Saen National Museum.

In June the exhibition moved to the Rai Mae Fah Luang in Muang Chiang Rai and was hanging there untill

late August. In September 2007 most pictures had found their way back to the participants in the project.

A total time span of 18 months.

With other words: We are still on schedule!

The potential of the Chiang Rai foreigners photo group is embedded in the

brilliant photographic skills of 28 present and former local expats, of which,

on an ad hoc base, a great majority is willing to participate in our projects.

Interesting to see that the number of nationalities represented has grown to

the impressive number of fifteen (the contributions to the 'Chiang Rai Through

Foreign Eyes' exhibition reflected the 'views' of sixteen foreigners holding

about ten different nationalities).

Three years ago at least seven photographers were readers of this forum as well,

which was the reason that we reported in this thread on the two succesful

exhibitions we made in the National Museum of Chiang Saen and Rai Mae Fah Luang

Cultural Park in Chiang Rai.

Most of them have lost interest in the forum as it is not longer specifically

Chiang Rai oriented. Sorry to say, but most of them live already quite some years

here and have on top of that a copy of the Chiang Rai Yellow Pages at home.

The forum simply hasn't much to offer them anymore.

It doesn't matter: There are now many more means of communication, and as I mentioned

earlier, they serve a population of western immigrants in Chiang Rai that has become

more differentiated and stratified lately.

I believe that the association with this forum will not bear fruits anymore concerning

cultural activities in neither active nor passive sense.

I would like to conclude by thanking everybody for the pleasant co-operation.

We had good fun with the exhibitions and the nice thing was that our endeavours

were well received by our Thai fellow citizens. I hope to see you back soon!

So far it looks as if the project with short-film and mobile phone pictures is going

to be realized in co-operation with the art faculty of Chiang Mai University, more

precise together with some Chiang Rai artists that are alumni of it.

But that is a decision that we have to take together. Also here in Chiang Rai we have

plenty of possibilities.

The photo club of the Alliance Francaise is disintegrated and Nicolas Pascarel, the

professional French photographer has done workshops in Havana, Bangkok, HCMC and

Phnom Penh during the last two years, but didn't show up in Chiang Rai anymore.

The good thing is that the Chiang Rai Photo Club is blossoming.

I will talk to some of its leading characters to see if we could join them as a kind

of 'foreigners section'.

I guess that several Chiang Rai expats are interested in photography and it would be

nice if we would have a 'forum' that would support us by enabling us to exchange

insights and information and that stimulates us in our individual development in the

field of 'painting with light'.

When we get started I will contact you individually, also those among you that not

were part of earlier projects, but who I expect to be interested.

By PM you can add your e-mail address to my list.

Have a nice Sunday!

Limbo :yohan: