Kanchanaburi/Tha Muang

BattyBatty

Hey guys

Just rented a house in Ta Mung (spelling?) about 12K out of Kan in the direction of BKK.

If anyone could help out with the following, i would appreciate it.

Immigration Office.

They issue 10 day extensions on 30 day stamps, right? Have no time for a visa run and need a quick solution.

Motorbikes.

I dont own one, but will buy second hand in around a month or so. For the time being i need to rent monthly. Found a place on the main backpacker road in Kan that rents daily/monthly but they require my passport, which I need for money transfers etc. My GF will be using the bike more than me, while I am away in BKK during the week. This particular place frowned at this, and expressed concern that i will not be using it most of the time. Go figure. Any firnedly places to rent bikes monthly from 2.5-3K a month?

Television

I have UBC in BKK, but rarely watch it. If i have to get it for KAN, then so be it.... but would rather not. The GF insists that the local cable shuts down at 4pm so we have to get UBC. I suspect she is trying it on just so i get UBC. So, local cable.... how many channels? No English i presume? Cost? What time does the service shut down?

Furniture

Castle Hill i suppose? I need to buy basics such as sofa, TV, TV Cabinet, coffe table, bed, wardrobe, dresser etc. I was hoping to cheap charlie the cost and spend as little as poss. Any local places you suggest? ANy ideas on how much i should pay for the above?

Golf

Any ferrang golf societys?

Beer

Best ferang ex-pat bars. Obviously Ta Mung will be a bit thin on the ground... as in none! Kan? Found one place opposite the River Kwai Hotel with a few ex-pats, nice Scottish bloke runs the place. Any more?

Telephone Line

The GF says 4000B to get one fitted and takes three days. I dont believe her. More like three years?

ADSL

In Ta Mung? No chance, right?

Taxis

In the likley event that i will be getting very, very drunk from time to time in Kan, i need to get my arse back to Ta Mung in a taxi. Easy enough i suppose? Local number to call?

Ta Mung

Anyone live here? Fancy a beer?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hey guys (and to you too BattyBatty to my neck of the woods)

Just rented a house in Ta Mung (spelling?) about 12K out of Kan in the direction of BKK. (Tha Muang)

If anyone could help out with the following, i would appreciate it.

Immigration Office.

They issue 10 day extensions on 30 day stamps, right? Have no time for a visa run and need a quick solution. (Sorry :D Kan not offer a quick solution)

Motorbikes.

I dont own one, but will buy second hand in around a month or so. For the time being i need to rent monthly. Found a place on the main backpacker road in Kan that rents daily/monthly but they require my passport, which I need for money transfers etc. My GF will be using the bike more than me, while I am away in BKK during the week. This particular place frowned at this, and expressed concern that i will not be using it most of the time. Go figure. Any firnedly places to rent bikes monthly from 2.5-3K a month? ( Maybe if GF tries with her ID card ? Lots of places down that road to rent bikes BTW )

Television

I have UBC in BKK, but rarely watch it. If i have to get it for KAN, then so be it.... but would rather not. The GF insists that the local cable shuts down at 4pm so we have to get UBC. I suspect she is trying it on just so i get UBC. So, local cable.... how many channels? No English i presume? Cost? What time does the service shut down? (Have UBC, but there is another service much cheaper, forgot the name, but it is all over the place thier stickers)

Furniture

Castle Hill (Mall closed me think) i suppose? I need to buy basics such as sofa, TV, TV Cabinet, coffe table, bed, wardrobe, dresser etc. I was hoping to cheap charlie the cost and spend as little as poss. Any local places you suggest? ANy ideas on how much i should pay for the above? (Have a look around the Bus Station Area, Center of Kan, near Kanakan Mall)

Golf

Any ferrang golf societys? (Me no play, so Kan not tell you)

Beer

Best ferang ex-pat bars. Obviously Ta Mung will be a bit thin on the ground... as in none! Kan? Found one place opposite the River Kwai Hotel with a few ex-pats, nice Scottish bloke runs the place. Any more? (Menam Kwae Road, (main backpacker road as you mentioned) loads of them down that strip)

Telephone Line

The GF says 4000B to get one fitted and takes three days. I dont believe her. More like three years? (Ask TT&T or TOT)

ADSL

In Ta Mung? No chance, right? (Same as above)

Taxis

In the likley event that i will be getting very, very drunk from time to time in Kan, i need to get my arse back to Ta Mung in a taxi. Easy enough i suppose? Local number to call? (Yes and very easy)

Ta Mung

Anyone live here? Fancy a beer? (No, Kan yes, see you in the Jolly Frog at weekend/s then between 4 to 6 pm)

Thanks in advance for your help

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

• 1 month later...
Beer

Best ferang ex-pat bars. Obviously Ta Mung will be a bit thin on the ground... as in none! Kan? Found one place opposite the River Kwai Hotel with a few ex-pats, nice Scottish bloke runs the place. Any more?

Scottish bloke?? - That would be Don at Four Nines, certainly one of the local characters!

• 5 weeks later...

Kanwin pretty spto on.

Visa, no quick solutions.

There is always the one dayer to Poi Pet. (A totally unreal and surreal town)

Motorbike, no need to tell them your gf will be using it more than you. A copy should suffice. The main tourists drag has a few places.

Local cable service doesn't close down at 4pm. It is on all night. There are 6 or 7 English speaking channels. KTC I think, is one and the other I can't recall right now. It's OK. Not a touch on UBC but then if you are going to be in Bkk most of the week and then drunk most of the weekend, why worry. It's about 300 baht a week.

No golf societies that I know of, but there are a lot of courses around and all good quality.

Good luck

• 2 months later...

Hi, I live about 15K from Tha Muang. I play golf (if you can call it that) at Tha Muang. It's 1,200 baht per season then 40 baht a round, or you can just pay for the round (80-100baht).

I've lived here for about 5 years and if you fancy meeting for a drink let me know.