Bad Experience With Thai Airways (children policy)

I've got to say though, if you think it's bad having a screaming child next to you in economy, you should try it in Business Class. Does my head in. coffee1.gif

That's where a great pair of noise cancelling headphones become a godsent! Had this the other day on a Malaysia Airlines flight up the front, switched on the noise cancel and enjoyed the experience. Good set of lungs on the baby though tongue.png

I've heard that Malaysia Airlines also don't allow babies and infants on their upperdeck levels of Business class on their 747 and 380 flights.

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

I've got to say though, if you think it's bad having a screaming child next to you in economy, you should try it in Business Class. Does my head in. coffee1.gif

That's where a great pair of noise cancelling headphones become a godsent! Had this the other day on a Malaysia Airlines flight up the front, switched on the noise cancel and enjoyed the experience. Good set of lungs on the baby though tongue.png

I've heard that Malaysia Airlines also don't allow babies and infants on their upperdeck levels of Business class on their 747 and 380 flights.

Yup that's true, but I think it's only on certain routes. Not sure though.

Personally if I booked a flight for myself and wife and kids I would expect to be able to sit with them on the flight and not be seperated on the whim of some office lackey who decides where you can sit so I think the OP is quite right to protest and expect to be seated with his family !

• Like 1

Personally if I booked a flight for myself and wife and kids I would expect to be able to sit with them on the flight and not be seperated on the whim of some office lackey who decides where you can sit so I think the OP is quite right to protest and expect to be seated with his family !

Have you considered that the flight is leaving next week and all the other seats have been booked out to families?

I note the OP didn't say when he was planning to fly, I have an idea that was a deliberate omission, he would be slaughtered on here if he said it was the next couple of weeks. Some things left unsaid are very telling you know.

If you selected the seats at time of booking I can understand how you feel. Though of course the airline reserves the right to move you around if they deem it necessary. As for first/business class - your tickets would have cost more if it wasn't for these passengers.

They selected seats for me - not together.

Don`t really know what you are getting at with the first/business class thing. I fly both regularly and didn`t mention them in my post as a main point. Economy class passengers still need a decent level of service.

But you have to option of selecting your seats during the booking of your flights, either online or through your travel agent. If you'd done this and then got moved around you've got some grounds for complaint otherwise you are wiser now and will know for next time. My wife and I were separated when we checked in because I assumed that the travel agent would have booked two seats together. Since I didn't check I couldn't complain. That experience taught me to always make sure we have seats together now you can do the same.

why do people with kids think they deserve special treatment over others? Is it really necessary to take two month old babies on long haul flights? I'm sure not.

A reasonable percentage of people flying these days are doing so because they work overseas and are traveling home or to somewhere else for a holiday. Taking young children is necessary for many of these people unless you think they shouldn't travel to see family and friends for 5 or 6 years until their children are older. A bit hard for someone who works in Mongolia or other remote destinations. I don't like screaming kids either but with TV screen and ear phones it's not as big a problem as it use to be.

I have been flying with Thai Airways for many years and have nothing but praise for their service. Cannot help thinking if some of the complaints about them are either from trolls or people who are not happy unless they are moaning.

I will be doing 3 return flights with them between Australia and Thailand this year and would not consider using another airline. Did try Air Asia once when I was in a hurry to get back to Australia, late 2011, NEVER AGAIN !

That thread regarding the screaming kids on flights and whether or not they should be "sedated" is a real hoot, link to it is on this thread somewhere.

• Like 1

Toddlers and babies shouldn't be in airplanes really. I find it selfish to think that a plane full of people should be held hostage by a screaming child. If anything, there should be separate areas for screaming children, as many package tours already do. This of course wouldn't be needed if parents raised their children properly and didn't think that THEIR little precious deserved special treatment.

Indeed, the words of a sad and lonely old man..

Toddlers and babies shouldn't be in airplanes really. I find it selfish to think that a plane full of people should be held hostage by a screaming child. If anything, there should be separate areas for screaming children, as many package tours already do. This of course wouldn't be needed if parents raised their children properly and didn't think that THEIR little precious deserved special treatment.

Or a professional traveller.

I fly round trip to Europe 5-7 times/year and my company pays to ensure I arrive fit for work. Sitting next to a screaming brat is not conducive to this, so I fly first/business and subsidise these peoples flights. Suck it up and book earlier or pay more.

I fly round trip to Europe 5-7 times/year and my company pays to ensure I arrive fit for work. Sitting next to a screaming brat is not conducive to this, so I fly first/business and subsidise these peoples flights. Suck it up and book earlier or pay more.

I'm one of them. I fly econ, so I just don't sit near the bulkhead. I go down the back of the plane, away from the parents with children. Works a treat.

• Like 1

I go down the back of the plane, away from the parents with children. Works a treat.

Also useful sitting at the rear of the aircraft if it should happen to hit a mountain.

Keep it to yourself or the OP might kick off wanting to change his seats again.

• Like 1

I'm one of them. I fly econ, so I just don't sit near the bulkhead. I go down the back of the plane, away from the parents with children. Works a treat.

As long as you avoid the seats near the dunnies

Also useful sitting at the rear of the aircraft if it should happen to hit a mountain.

As my mate once so eloquently put it - planes don't reverse into mountains.

Good point, but I still wouldn't fancy my chances even if I were strapped to the tailfin.

Quote lorbhaim Post #56:

.......It turned out that the suitcase weighs 2 kg over the weight assigned to the flight. I was charged the total amount in respect of these two kg total of 2,680 baht. .......(End quote)

Before check in weigh your luggage at unmanned counter. Fix weight up to maximum allowed without charge. (If allowance is 20Kg, maximum allowed might be 23.5Kg. Find out at manned counter beforehand. )

Concentrate on 1st and biz but nearly all the 1st class and a lot of the biz are taken up by freeloaders such as THAI staff, corrupt government officials, their friends and family etc. Came back from Jo'burg biz class and Mrs Arkady and I were virtually the only people who had paid for their seats. The rest were all Thai males and, judging by their conversation, they had been on some kind of a "study trip" in South Africa. It's pathetic the way the airline is used as a piggy bank by crooks and it means they have to squeeze more income out of econ.

Once some Japanese businessmen were kicked off the plane in Tokyo to make room for an air force general and his entourage who hadn't even bothered to book. I am sorry but people who can behave like that are not going to give a damn about a farang and his sprog.

Edited by Arkady

The world airline awards were announced yesterday, and there were 8 Asian airlines in the top 10. Thai Airways wasn't one of them.

Perhaps Thai didn't pay enough to get in the top 10 :P Which is almost ironic ;)

Amongst frequent flyers Skytrax is an annual joke...

• Like 1

Concentrate on 1st and biz but nearly all the 1st class and a lot of the biz are taken up by freeloaders such as THAI staff, corrupt government officials, their friends and family etc. Came back from Jo'burg biz class and Mrs Arkady and I were virtually the only people who had paid for their seats. The rest were all Thai males and, judging by their conversation, they had been on some kind of a "study trip" in South Africa. It's pathetic the way the airline is used as a piggy bank by crooks and it means they have to squeeze more income out of econ.

Once some Japanese businessmen were kicked off the plane in Tokyo to make room for an air force general and his entourage who hadn't even bothered to book. I am sorry but people who can behave like that are not going to give a dam_n about a farang and his sprog.

I fly to/from the UK 5-7 times a year in first. The load factor is normally around 80% and is normally made up of UK business men and older Aussie Couples, on average there are maybe 2 Thais of the 8 of us in first class. Edited by RabC

I don't feel sad, I am not lonely, also not old... but the thing I hate the most on a plane are kids and their parents who selfishly seek 'free special treatment' while they completely disregard the comfort of the other passengers.

I travel to Europe for my business in first class exclusively in order to, not only arrive fresh for the meetings... but also to put as much distance between me and the families with kids. I am very willing to pay a big premium for that extra distance between me and this great source of annoyance, as long as I can relax in a kids free cabin.

Fellow business travellers, if you can afford to reschedule a meeting in case of "emergency", there is one more thing you can do: I asked Thai to put in my profile that I would not fly if there are kids in first class. So, even if they have some last minute upgrades with kids, they inform me at the check in and I am very happy to take the next flight. I prefer to reschedule a meeting than living a nightmare for 11hrs and arrive destroyed at a meeting.

If there is a family paying full fare first class ticket I have no problem, I fly the next day. But in the case the ground crew wants to upgrade a family for any reason (it happens rarely thank god, but it did happen), then they would have to chose between upsetting the frequent traveller or making the parents of the kids more confortable. Up to them to judge who is more important for their business.

They do it for platinum (and gold I guess) members. I asked nicely to write that in my profile and they were happy to do.

If more frequent business travelers do this it could help reduce the annoyance of upgraded families in the front cabins. Its already something... but of course... it only pushes these annoying families further back :unsure:

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My daughter flies Brisbane to BKK next month with her kids, 6 and 9 on China Airlines who have allocated them all in separate seating rows. She ain't sweating it, they won't be taking off like that without breaking all the safety rules.

>1. My wife and I were bumped out of business class just before boarding when some big Thai HiSO and family showed up, forcing us to economy with refund.<

Same happened to me. Except, there was no offer for a price difference refund. What they offered me was empty seats on my left and on my right in economy class. No kidding!! True, it was many years ago, but the attitudes at TG have not changed much over the years. I switched to EVA and I have been very happy with their service and professionalism. I also prefer the route LAX-TPE-BKK over LAX-NRT-BKK. The flight between LAX and TPE is much longer than the one to NRT. I can sleep longer. And the second leg is only 3:30 hrs. Much more manageable than the 6 hrs from NRT to BKK where it is too short to get another deep, resting sleep.

I went back to TG when they flew nonstop from LAX. I enjoyed that luxury and ignored everything else about TG. Once they ended the nonstop flights, I came back running to EVA. EVA is also much cheaper than the sheisters at TG. EVA also credits your mileage IMMEDIATELY upon completeion of flight. TG wants you to wait for a few days... Why> Dn't they use computers? And forget about your transferred miles from Starwoood hotels being credited to your account at TG without you sending a few strong e-mails. Miles from car rental company were not credited several times. I once maintained a 2 years' correspondence with TG about missing, lousy 500 miles from a rental company. You would not believe the rejection (of the miles) and denials on the part of TG. And I was a gold card member with them at the time...

I am back to EVA and life is enjoyable again smile.png