Thai man points pistol at Russian visitor in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He messed about with another mans wife. He got what he deserved and was lucky that he didn't get worse.

I doubt this will even go to court, for one it's unlikely that the Russian will return for the proceedings. Also I think that the Thai judicial system will look more favourably on a man defending his honour, where he didn't cause any physical injury to the Russian who disrespected him.

Looks like you are saying loud and clear that you are Thai.

Otherwise, one would wonder where you take your logic from..

Looks more to me like a married thai woman messed with a farang...and we would all know why...

I'm a white European with blue eyes and brown hair.

Well then, the "otherwise" would apply...

If the Russian guy had just met the lady and wasn't aware of "a man living with her" then I'd have sympathy for him. He was seeing her for a number of weeks and knew well she was with a Thai man, so he doesn't get much sympathy from me.

I base my logic on what i believe to be right and wrong. Being of the same race as somebody does not bias my opinion in that direction.

"He was seeing her for a number of weeks and knew well she was with a Thai man,"

If you do know that for a fact, then what you wrote might have some merit...

But darn, this is thailand, and some thai husbands are quite aware of these type of situations, and do benefit from them...

Edited by Andre0720
  • Like 2

He is my brother she said....... LOL.

I think this Thai chap just meet a "special date" with Rusian Mafia in the near future.

I hardly think he would have gone to the cops if he was planning to put a hit on the guy. You're stereotyping; not all Russians are Mafia, for godsakes.

Why not? If you can have two people gunning for him you are more likely that at least one will sting him. I do not condone crime but the red fellas are a presence in Thailand, which is why local thugs like this are trying to move Russians out using the tactics such as what we see on the video, and deportation for incorrect visas etc.

Not all Russians are from a Mafia, but all Russians (like Thais) have connections to Mafia. And I would bet that the life of a Thai is worth less to the red fellas than the life of a Russian to the Thai mafia groups. Just saying.

As for his reaction, he is either still drunk (he walks straight so it appears not so), is fearless (if this is the case I am in awe) or he does not understand the mans poor English. I did not see any reaction whatsoever from the Russian. Once the trigger was pulled and the bullet did not go off however, I would have stood and flattened the punk. then called his GF and told her to pick him up and not give out my address again.

Guess this thread is an indicator of some peoples priorities in life...20 odd hours since started and already 217 replies and near 15000 views...the mind boggles..

Most be a record on TV..

My input..love all the ''keyboard warriors'' comments..just so funny...giggle.gif

Edited by andreandre

Maybe the whole thing looked fake because the russian really knew it wasnt her brother, but thought it would be fun to seduce her away from him anyway. The husband knew what was happening but expected the wife to come back with some cash for the exploite.

However when she can back empty handed he got pissed off, not enough to justify serious harm to the russian, as he knew what was happening, but the Thai needed to save face by putting on a bit of an act.. Maybe the wife had told the guy already in a conversation her husband only owns a replica gun. Everyone concerend was embarrased about their involvolvement and just let it all play out. Then just as a back up the russian took the video.

That my take after dwelling on it for a bit...

Not all Russians are from a Mafia, but all Russians (like Thais) have connections to Mafia.

What?

Lack of membership of an organisation does not necessarily indicate that one cannot cause an organisation to act on their behalf. It only takes being related to someone within the organisation, having worked in the past with the organisation, or perhaps a payment or act to assist the cause for them to act on your behalf.

I like Russian people, even if others say they are rude and ignorant on here - some are, but others are awesome to drink with and I know they will have my back and will not put in a situation I did not put myself in. At least not in my experience so far. Russians have an inherent sense of loyalty to those who are loyal to them, I have found. It makes me sad to hear some of the Russian bashing that goes on here, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I believe the video is not staged, I believe this man suspected something was coming and protected himself accordingly. He deserves support for highlighting an issue which various ambassadors have highlighted in Phuket recently but that Thai Authorities have either ignored or denied exist.

• Like 2

If the Russian was really setting this thing up to make a you tube video what would have been really good to seewould be a reanactment of that scene from Snatch, when Vinny Jones has a gun in his face and comment about 'yours has replica writen down the side and mine hase desert eagle.05 written down mine' etc etc...

oh well ! next time

If we ever find out for sure whether this is fake or real, there's going to be so much egg on some peoples' faces. biggrin.png

Real or fake, the Russians survived Hitler, survived Stalingrad, survived starvation, survived Ivan the Terrible, survived the purges of Stalin. They also gave us Gagarin, Prokofiev, culture - these are a deep, profound, menacing (if you must) yet warm people. Either try to understand them or pay the price eventually.

I would comment on the special opps advisors here, but I need to dispose of the three al-Qaeda troops that tried to jump me this evening, ahem..

A few people here have talked about the toughness of today's Russians by harking backing to decades old history. The younger generations are likely to be very different as they have grown up under capitalism rather than serfdom or Stalinism. At least, that fits with the overseas Russians I've met.... they love to drink and smoke, but they are otherwise not much different from other westerners (ok, they tend to be a little smile-free).

A small tangent... After the fall of the Soviet Union, the Russian mafia set up shop in eastern Canada (Toronto and Montreal) and displaced a lot of the traditional Italian mafia. This was because they were more brutal, ruthless and fearless than members of existing criminal organisations ... when you consider Canadian jails almost as good as Russian resorts and Canadian police have to abide by restrictive use-of-force policies, there's not much to dissuade a hardened criminal. Then they made the mistake of trying to expand into Vancouver which was dominated by Chinese and Vietnamese organised crime. It was an apparently short and bloody 'gang war', and the Russians left with their tails between their legs. The Vietnamese in particular were even more brutal and ruthless than they were. Not sure what the situation is like today as I left my job with the Mounties at the end of the 90s....

Some of the posters here have no idea how it feels to have a gun pointed at your head by an irate Asian man.

I believe it's real.

The Russian did the right thing. I'm considering that he was scared out of his mind and had no self defense training.

He did not lock the door after the first encounter because he had just been struck across the face several times and there was barely enough time to get off his knees before the guy returned. The slaps were definitely real. However, the Russian still had some resolve and courage because the Thai guy could not make him say I understand even with the gun in his face.

I suspect that if we were able to see the Russians face while this was happening some viewers would be more convinced that it's real.

I think if it were me In this situation Thai guy would be close to death at this point.

• Like 1

conclusion after 225 comments:

1. russians are all maffia(-connected)

2. russian are proud jolly people

3. some TV members claim to be self-defence heroes

4. no russian reactions on youtube sofar

edit.

i only read the first 100 or so comments on youtube while having haircut/shave

Edited by stickylies

From the Bangkok Post on 20 June:

"Police arrested the Thai man, who was not named, three days later.

The Russian told The Phuket News that Ms Karn's boyfriend had offered 10,000 baht in compensation, but that he refused to accept the money.

The case is now going through the courts. Mr Tubaev has now left Phuket.

Police told The Phuket News the gun was a replica, and could not fire bullets."

It appears the police believe it was real.

From the Bangkok Post on 20 June:

"Police arrested the Thai man, who was not named, three days later.

The Russian told The Phuket News that Ms Karn's boyfriend had offered 10,000 baht in compensation, but that he refused to accept the money.

The case is now going through the courts. Mr Tubaev has now left Phuket.

Police told The Phuket News the gun was a replica, and could not fire bullets."

It appears the police believe it was real.

cheesy.gif , so thats why it was pointed at the floor cheesy.gif

for those with plenty of time and a dictionary at hand: interesting comments on youtube ;-)

Just the English script is funny even if you can't read the Thai!

"You know,you know,you know,5555555555555555555!!!"laugh.png

Sounds like that Thai guy was lucky he didn't try such a stunt on a typical Thai visa member. Fake or not. If they're not Charles Bronson then they're Sherlock Holmes.

With a bit of Steven Seagal/Chuck Norris thrown in!laugh.png

Sounds like that Thai guy was lucky he didn't try such a stunt on a typical Thai visa member. Fake or not. If they're not Charles Bronson then they're Sherlock Holmes.

With a bit of Steven Seagal/Chuck Norris thrown in!laugh.png

Well yeh, giggle.gif

Rape victims and minors get their faces plastered on the news. An adult male with a gun making a death threat get's his face blurred.

His face hadn't been blurred out when I viewed this vid on the Bangkok Post link at around 12 pm today. So someone's acted quickly. Could be TAT in a lame attempt to mitigate against bad publicity? After all, if the Russians leave, who, besides a sprinkling of Chinese would be left?

"He was seeing her for a number of weeks and knew well she was with a Thai man,"

If you do know that for a fact, then what you wrote might have some merit...

But darn, this is thailand, and some thai husbands are quite aware of these type of situations, and do benefit from them...

The information is gleaned from the OP, whether it's factual or not I cannot know

Mr Tubaev came to Thailand and April 5 and rented an apartment in PK Mansion in Phuket Town, not far from Central Festival.

After a month or so he got to know a Thai woman called Karn who lived in the same building and worked in an office on the ground floor.

Mr Tubaev told The Phuket News’ Russian-language sister paper Novosti Phuketa that he knew she was “living with some guy” but that he was led to believe that the man was her brother.

He had lunch with Karn and her colleagues a couple of times and then, on May 26, the girls invited him to go with them to Khao Lak.

On June 5, however, Karn said they could no longer see each other. She would not say why.

I do not know how I would have reacted by it being only one guy.

While on assignment in Mexico, I stupidly answered the office door with my issued Glock 22 left in the drawer. Two guys came in and pistol-whipped me and some of the other staff and stole 2 brand new Suburbans.

In analyzing the video, it was not a set up. But he clearly knew something was amiss. And the guy leaning over so many times, the rusky could have easily put him off balance by either pulling him towards him or sucker punch him.

Hindsight is 20/20, I suppose.

• Like 1

The Russian guy played it perfect, any movement or back chat could have set the guy off into a spiral.

How was he to know the gun wasn't real? Plus sometimes in life you just have to accept the other guy has got the jump on you, live to fight another day is the motto which applies when that happens.

The Russian guy did everything right.

The Thai guy is a cowardly little w*nk.

• Like 1

The Russian guy played it perfect, any movement or back chat could have set the guy off into a spiral.

How was he to know the gun wasn't real? Plus sometimes in life you just have to accept the other guy has got the jump on you, live to fight another day is the motto which applies when that happens.

Disagree a bit. If someone comes to visit you with a piece you expect the worse. I would rather go out having slapped the guy than be on my knees to meet my demise. The Rusky was twice his size and one clout would have been enough.

• Like 1

Disagree a bit. If someone comes to visit you with a piece you expect the worse. I would rather go out having slapped the guy than be on my knees to meet my demise. The Rusky was twice his size and one clout would have been enough.

He lived to fight another day and that's the very thing. smile.png

• Like 1

That video clip looks like it was all set up. Who just happens to have a camera at the ready perfectly aimed at the door. Possible that he expected this and wanted the video evidence.

Yes, and the Russian's reactions were weird - totally accepting of what the Thai was telling him to do, although the gun was a bit of an incentive to comply.

And when the trigger was pulled with the gun against his forehead, there was no reaction at all - no "Thank God that didn't go off!"

All very unreal.

The trigger was not pulled. It was the safety mechanism kicking in. That means the gun was real. Many semi auto guns have this feature. When it is pressed up against something it locks the gun from firing. That's all it sounded like.

• Like 1

He lived to fight another day and that's the very thing. smile.png

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, suppose we all think different. IF it was not a setup the Rusky knew he was expecting agro, hence the camera. The weeee Thai guy was dressed in black to ''up'' his status rolleyes.gif , if the gun was for use it would not have been off target and to be honest the Rusky had ooooooooooodles of time to whack him UNLESS he was pissed. BUT, this is just my perception of the situation. smile.png