Penang Multiple Non Imm O based on Marriage

Returned from Penang yesterday evening. A successful but stressful trip.

1 Air Asia Don Muang to Penang Sunday, arrived at 5.00 pm Malaysia time.Baht 6,000 Ringit 600.

2 Taxi from Airptort to Georgetown Baht 450 Ringit 45. White taxis only from the Airport. Fare paid at Airport Taxi booth.

3 To Lebuh Chulia, looking for Guesthouse and Agent. Slipped up on a fruity skin there. Baht 750 Ringit 75 a night for room with double bed, toilet, shower, and TV. Internal room with no window, but lots of noise.

4 Documentation:

Marriage Certificate Kor Ror 3

Registration of Marriage Kor Ror 2 (Four years old)

Tabien baan

Wife's Passpert

My Passport

Two recent photographs

Wife's ID card

Bank book (400k Baht+)

Photocopies of all above

5 Shocked when handing these documents in when the guy said that he could only deal with Tourist Visa applications. Then he called over a slippery skin, old and toothless, who looked at the documents and declared the need for 800k Baht for Non Imm O Multiple. He was very insistent on this point, becoming agitated, and repeating his assertion three times. As it was getting late I asked him to just submit the documents, fretful of finding another Agent that evening.

6 The usual one day wait. Pork Porridge for breakfast from "The Little Angel Cafe" and good Tandoori Chicken with Kasmir Naan later.

7 Documents returned on Monday at 2.00pm. Non Imm O based on Marriage included. 5500 Visa fee and, I think Baht 400 Agent's fee. Baht 5900 total Ringit 590. Told the old fruit that Baht 400k for Non Imm O ws clearly possible as mine had been granted. He lost it. Totally. He started some raised voice reprimanding game on the basis of I know not what. Regardless, he was surly, did not know his business, out for money, disrepectful and arrogant. A real slippery skin.

8 Outcomes: a new Non Imm O Multiple based on Marriage available from Penang with no problems given the documentation listed above.

9 Unexpected outcomes: quite a stressful visit to relaxed easy going Penang, solely because of a corporatist, soulless, bad value, money-grab-it-fast attitude from the accomodation provider.

10 They did, however, provide a Mini Bus to the Airport for Baht 350, 35 Ringit.

Notes.

Recent reviews on Trip Advisor sum it up nicely, "Unless you particularly enjoy feeling unwelcome then stay away from this place." and further, "It was okay just for one night but the atmosphere was strange."

Just 20 metres down Love Lane there is the "Little Angel Cafe," a Chinese man and wife walk in, cheap and nice.

Of interest to the Savannakhet Non Imm O Marriage threads, I bumped into the legendary Jim of Jim's Place (still open a little way up Chulia from the Air Asia office). I told him the story and his response was that the documents I had taken were sufficient to get the Visa without showing proof of money in the bank of any amount. Interesting.

In the two years since my last visit, Penang seems to have had a heavy dose of inlation.

Many Guesthouses on Lebuh Chulia to choose from. Don't slip up.

Actually there are many that are not aware of extensions for marriage - and there are those that a visa fits (off-shore workers and such - and those wanting time away every few months). But for most the extension of stay is the better choice.

Actually there are many that are not aware of extensions for marriage - and there are those that a visa fits (off-shore workers and such - and those wanting time away every few months). But for most the extension of stay is the better choice.

Best choice for people who like to tell their life to immigration and show photos of their house or even their bedroom it seems ?

Does this extension on non-o require this ?

So I would prefer to travel every 3 months than telling my life that is not their business to these people.

If I wanted to set up a reality TV show about my life in Thailand I would do it for money, not for free :-)

So I understand that some prefer to leave even when they have other solutions.

Best choice for people who like to tell their life to immigration and show photos of their house or even their bedroom it seems ?

So I would prefer to travel every 3 months than telling my life that is not their business to these people.

If I wanted to set up a reality TV show about my life in Thailand I would do it for money, not for free :-)

Total nonsence.

What is wrong with having to provide a few photos.

I will soon be doing 6th extension. Much better than doing border and visa runs.

• Like 1

+1

Marriage extensions are no big deal and are quite easy to apply for.

Certainly preferable to making border runs and also much cheaper.

As Lopburi3 said the choice is open. We prefer the 3 day 2 night break somewhere every three months and for some strange reason I enjoy getting the extra 3 months tagged on the end of the one year multi.

Plus if you get a short term contract you don't get the problem that I know has arisen where the company, repeat company, wants for some strange reason to cancel your visa when the job ends.

• Like 1

"Plus if you get a short term contract you don't get the problem that I know has arisen where the company, repeat company, wants for some strange reason to cancel your visa when the job ends."

If you are on an extension based on marriage, and your job ends, the extension does not.

Nonsense or not - some of us enjoy our privacy in a country where privacy is rare. As for getting a non O as opposed to a marriage certificate, I understand it completely.

Total nonsence.
What is wrong with having to provide a few photos.
I will soon be doing 6th extension. Much better than doing border and visa runs.

Nonsense or not - some of us enjoy our privacy in a country where privacy is rare. As for getting a non O as opposed to a marriage certificate, I understand it completely.

It's called an individual's prerogative. Another rarity in the land of smiles.

I can't see having to present a few photos violates your privacy. That is the nonsense part.

In reality I think most people that use multiple entry visas do not have the income or the money in the bank to get the extension.

For others it is because they are working outside the country and cannot always be sure of being in the country when the extension is due.

• Like 1

"Plus if you get a short term contract you don't get the problem that I know has arisen where the company, repeat company, wants for some strange reason to cancel your visa when the job ends."

If you are on an extension based on marriage, and your job ends, the extension does not.

Agreed, but I and some guys I know have gone through the process where some HR people, not labour office or Immigration, still haven't got their heads around the fact that the visa or extension has nothing to do with them. Probably the same people who will state that you must have a B visa for a WP which we all know is wrong.

I have been asked by HR for my passport at the end of a job so " they can cancel my visa with the WP' I obviously have always refused to hand it over.

I can't see having to present a few photos violates your privacy. That is the nonsense part.

In reality I think most people that use multiple entry visas do not have the income or the money in the bank to get the extension.

For others it is because they are working outside the country and cannot always be sure of being in the country when the extension is due.

Love the assumption that 'most' people who have multi O visa are the ones without money.

My choice is three days in a nice hotel, somewhere, which gives my wife a break from the office; or spending a day surrounded by a multitude of ex-pats in a crowded hot and sweaty office and all that it entails.

Quiote a few of the older guys that I know who are on extensions don't have the money and get the bank book topped up by a service agent for a fee that most of them can barely afford to pay back. Every year they get the extension and then for a month are drinking on 'the Tab' in their local bar.

• Like 1

Over the last 40 some years I have used both Non-O visa and extension based on Thai Wife. I found the Non-O was most convenient for my purposes until the routine of timing my life around the 90 day period became bothersome and started applying for extensions of stay. Non-O visas were certainly the best choice before we moved back to Thailand full time, but since we live here full time now, the extension works best. One's personal situation usually dictates the best choice. As for, the privacy issue, I find the Thai extension process much less invasive than when i worked in a middle eastern country, China, or even Korea. When living outside one's home country, one must expect a certain amount of disclosure to immigration authorities.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I have a question about Non immigration O (Marriage) visas

I'm married to a Thai lady and we have a 3 month old daughter. Currently, I'm working in China, which is a cesspool of villainy and scum.

So, naturally, I want to return to Thailand and live relatively long-term, work permitting.

We did some reading last night about the non immigration o visa (marriage) but we get stuck at the part which requests proof of 400k in a thai bank account. We have about half that thanks to some big medical bills a few years ago back in Oz.

Reading through this thread, I saw somebody mention that the financial proof isn't necessary. Is that true?

We have everything else. Loads of photos, a daughter, car loan etc etc..

Any advice greatly appreciated - and mods, please delete this post if it's in the wrong place. I just thought I would jump in here because it's an active topic and is related to my question.

• Like 1

Your best option would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa which would not require the 400K baht in the bank. The 400K baht is only needed for extensions of stay.

Apparently you can get them in Penang with no financial proof.

Another location is Savannakhet Laos does not require any financial proof. Dependent upon where you will be staying here this might well be the lowest cost location to get the visa.

Dependent upon your visa status in China you might be able to get one before you leave there. Websites for the embassy and the 8 consulates in China can be found here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

• Like 1

To extend your stay in Thailand for Thai wife or child will require either 40k per month income proof or 400k in Bank account here. If working here you could also extend for that but most jobs, other than teaching, would require a higher income level than 40k.

Above outlines the alternative for non immigrant O visa issue until you qualify for extensions.

• Like 1

Your best option would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa which would not require the 400K baht in the bank. The 400K baht is only needed for extensions of stay.

Thanks Joe - that's great to hear.

How long is a multi entry non-o visa good for? Is it 1 year?

We didn't read the info properly. I assumed that we needed to show the 400k or 40k a month income when applying for the multi entry non- o visa, as well as any extensions.

We haven't got all of our paperwork in order yet, and I'm heading back in August to finalise everything. I've decided to continue working in China for at least another 6 months because the income is so good, despite being so far away from the missus and bub.

I'll go in on a landing visa in future, and then jump across to the embassy in Laos to apply for the O visa. Cheers!

I do freelance writing online and am comfortably earning 10-15k baht a month from that. I figure this income (proven through pay slips) plus a local teaching job should be more than 40k a month. Sometimes when we get big writing projects (recently did one for eBay UK), the writing income can be 40,000 baht a month by itself.

Anyhow, this info has been a big help. Much appreciated. Thank you

Visa gives you multiple 90 day entries for one year from date of issue. But you can get almost 15 months out of it by doing an entry just before the visa expires.

So I would need to pop across to Laos every 3 months? I wouldn't mind actually, because we have friends near the border and I like the laid back atmosphere in Laos.

I did a visa run to Laos a few years ago when living in Khon Kaen and it was a nice experience. Good food, friendly people, relatively hassle free.

In order to use income earned in Thailand you would have to have a work permit and tax payment receipts for the income.

So the local teaching job would be ok, but not the online writing gig? The company I work for is based in Germany and they send itemised payslips every week when I get paid. Maybe I can print these out and try to bluff my way through it? Stranger things have happened when dealing with immigration in the LOS

Once in KK I was 2 days late when applying for an extension on my tourist visa, and my gf placated the staff in the office with durian.

You will not be able to show income earned by way of pay slips. Income earned abroad can only be proved by an income letter from your embassy.

Extensions of stay based upon marriage to a Thai has to be approved by the regional immigration office (Korat for the North East) so it would not be a matter of getting it approved locally.

• Like 1

That's fair enough.

Never mind, the info given has solved my problem. I will be in Thailand less than a year anyway, thinking 6 to 7 months till a sale comes through at home. Then we will start the Australian visa application rollercoaster..

So the non im O visa with 90 day visa trips to Laos will suit me fine. Thanks lads

Is that all it is? Just provide some photos or is there more to it such as immi coming to talk to neighbors and such. Suppose someone is a recluse and the neighbors never see the farang? Also what if immi office for 90 day reporting is farther away than a quiet easy border crossing for 90 day in and out? Wouldn't a multi entry be better for that person? Oh of course there is the mail in report option I suppose for point #2

Is that all it is? Just provide some photos or is there more to it such as immi coming to talk to neighbors and such. Suppose someone is a recluse and the neighbors never see the farang? Also what if immi office for 90 day reporting is farther away than a quiet easy border crossing for 90 day in and out? Wouldn't a multi entry be better for that person? Oh of course there is the mail in report option I suppose for point #2

Just more lame excuses for not wanting to deal with immigration.

Maybe one visit to your home for the first extension.

No need to mention 90 day reports that every extension requires if you stay for more than 90 days.

• Like 1

I have until now gotten my Non-O extension based on marriage in Thailand, but due to a changed work rotation (now 1 month on/off) I don't have the time to do it in Thailand any more. Just so I'm sure I have this straight:

I can apply for the same extension outside of Thailand as well? BTW, I do fulfill all the requirements necessary to renew inside Thailand - 400k in the bank for 3 moths, etc.

I have until now gotten my Non-O extension based on marriage in Thailand, but due to a changed work rotation (now 1 month on/off) I don't have the time to do it in Thailand any more. Just so I'm sure I have this straight:

I can apply for the same extension outside of Thailand as well? BTW, I do fulfill all the requirements necessary to renew inside Thailand - 400k in the bank for 3 moths, etc.

You will not get an extension outside the country.

You would be getting multiple entry non-o visa.