BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
groo

Pharmacies

It is on Suthep Rd. near the road that is on the western side of the moat around the old city (Bunruang Rit Rd., which further south is Mahidol Rd.). You should probably start by registering at the Family Medical Center as a patient. FMC is right on Bunruang Rit Rd about 70 meters north of Suthep Rd.

I don't know about getting your prescription filled there if you are not registered as a patient with Maharaj or FMC. Maybe you can, but may as well register as it is free to register and doctors visits there are no more than 30 baht and often free from what I can tell.

I guess you should bring a Thai speaker with you if your Thai is not real good, if you have any complicated questions, though I have usually done fine there with my minimal Thai. Real nice folks there at FMC and Maharaj in general. There is even a nice American doctor there usually on Wed, Th and/or Fri.

I usually park there in front or on the side of FMC and then walk in to the hospital complex from there for whatever I need in the hospital itself. Good luck.

:o

The Chiangmai University Drug Store on the North side of Suthep about 300 meters from the Nimmenheiman intersection going towards Maharaj Hospital and the moat is recomended highly. I had a discount card while teaching at CMU. They have a 5% discount card available to anyone 60 and over, for the asking. Even without the card the prices IMO are among the lowest in CMai.

I also recommend the private drug store, Yuenyong Drugs - Ms Tanate Chatanawut,BSc MBA, at the Three Kings Monument, about 4 shophouses down on the left as you look at the Square. She is often on business in Bangkok but the staff too are great. The Special Medical Center to the front and right of Maharaj is highly recommended, and has beds for prolonged care. I notice this year that my Blue Cross no longer covers Ram, probably because of high costs especially drugs. I've been using Blue Cross because, if you join before age 60, it covers you throughout your life provided you maintain yearly coverage, unlike most others where you are cut off at age 70 when chances are you will most need it. I also recommend the Chiengmai Klaimoor on the left before you reach Lotus South of Airport plaza. I had gone there initially because a doctor there was my English student. He's now in his 2nd year as an internist in New York, but I go back because the service is great inexpensive, and the boutique-hotel-like rooms are classy and well below Ram's room prices.

Many of the doctors in CMai are the same ones on call at most hospitals, in my experience.

From their 2006 brochure, Blue Cross now covers only six medical establishments in Chiangmai:

1 Special Medical Center

2 Chiengmai Klaimoor

3 Rachawej Chiang Mai (former condo opposite the old 4 Seasons)

4 Lanna ( friends have been there, all recommend it)

5 McCormick

6 Dr Wongse (no idea who, what where)

For what it's worth...cheers

6 Dr Wongse (no idea who, what where)

I think that it is across the street from the Sheraton which used to be the Weston of great buffet fame.

One thing to note is that it's not just a case of one pharmacy being cheaper than another, what also counts is if the place is willing to sell stuff at wholesale quantities for a vastly reduced price. You woulnd't believe the difference between buying a strip of 10 pills of something, or buying the whole box with 50 strips in it. :o

(At places willing to play ball)

Cheers,

Chanchao

One thing to note is that it's not just a case of one pharmacy being cheaper than another, what also counts is if the place is willing to sell stuff at wholesale quantities for a vastly reduced price. You woulnd't believe the difference between buying a strip of 10 pills of something, or buying the whole box with 50 strips in it. :o

(At places willing to play ball)

Cheers,

Chanchao

now we're talking ! . ok .. any ideas of these places???? i doubt chiangmai university pharmacy would be one of them.

On the 4th floor of the airport plaza over near the Power Buy store is a place called FAMA and they will sell discounted by the box.

:o