Police: online clip of attack on Russian tarnishes Phuket's image

webfact

"I mean, anywhere else in this world of our's he'd been shot DEAD for what he has done. Not so?"

What part of the world are you living in? I think that only a minority would support that type of justice. Add to this that the woman told him that her husband was her brother. The reaction of the husband was way over the top and not excusable in any country. The rest of your post beggars belief.

In some countries, the wife (Ms Karn) would be stoned to death in a football stadium for adultery.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you (knowingly) mess with a married woman you deserve to get hurt in my opinion.

I believe that's also the opinion of the police, so why would they take action against a Thai man if was really the victim in the broader story.

People step out of line and get slapped every day, it's only that fact that this is on video that makes it different.

Better to know she is married first than to find out later after you have spent your life savings on her ....giggle.gif , your opinion is typical, blame the bloke and beat him up, how droll, if the woman was willing, then you will be beating up people all your life...clap2.gifcheesy.gif

I never said that the woman was blameless, however I stand by what I said. If a man knowingly goes with a married woman, he deserves to get hurt.

Anyway, the video is obviously completely fake. But my point is still valid.

Sounds like a man who cant find a good woman speaking. Women arent property. If they dont like you they'll go look elsewhere. You dont own them. If you dont want them to go on dates with other men then be more desirable.

If you had half the brain of a 5 years old child you'd understand this:

Man gives you props by trying to get the woman you chose and wooed.

Wife spits in your face telling you that this other man is better than you and she is tired of your crappy self.

Why would you hit the man instead of just dumping the wife and never speaking to her again?

Edited by bearpolar

If you (knowingly) mess with a married woman you deserve to get hurt in my opinion.

I believe that's also the opinion of the police, so why would they take action against a Thai man if was really the victim in the broader story.

People step out of line and get slapped every day, it's only that fact that this is on video that makes it different.

Better to know she is married first than to find out later after you have spent your life savings on her ....giggle.gif , your opinion is typical, blame the bloke and beat him up, how droll, if the woman was willing, then you will be beating up people all your life...clap2.gifcheesy.gif

I never said that the woman was blameless, however I stand by what I said. If a man knowingly goes with a married woman, he deserves to get hurt.

Anyway, the video is obviously completely fake. But my point is still valid.

Sounds like a man who cant find a good woman speaking. Women arent property. If they dont like you they'll go look elsewhere. You dont own them. If you dont want them to go on dates with other men then be more desirable.

If you had half the brain of a 5 years old child you'd understand this:

Man gives you props by trying to get the woman you chose and wooed.

Wife spits in your face telling you that this other man is better than you and she is tired of your crappy self.

Why would you hit the man instead of just dumping the wife and never speaking to her again?

I'm sure the wife got a beating as well. Domestic violence in Thailand is rife.

I think the scams, tuk tuks, corruption etc does more damage to Phukets image than exposing a crime against someone.

No money to be made out of this pesky farang so it's his fault.

And the single, beer-swilling, girl chasing, farang guys who flock to these places (notably Phuket and Pattaya) don't exactly help give them a great reputation amongst anybody but like-seeking farang guys, either!! All becomes a vicious circle, really, Thais not trusting or liking the farangs so are quite happy to rip them off when they can.. and too many farangs distrusting anybody Thai they come into contact with.. no respect all round!!! A lovely state of affairs...

Hit the nail on the head I think. Any of these places that have a high percentage of expats/ tourists suffer these problems. In areas that are (relatively) sparsely populated by foreign residents, the "real" Thailand is very much still alive.

I think the scams, tuk tuks, corruption etc does more damage to Phukets image than exposing a crime against someone.

And the single, beer-swilling, girl chasing, farang guys who flock to these places (notably Phuket and Pattaya) don't exactly help give them a great reputation amongst anybody but like-seeking farang guys, either!! All becomes a vicious circle, really, Thais not trusting or liking the farangs so are quite happy to rip them off when they can.. and too many farangs distrusting anybody Thai they come into contact with.. no respect all round!!! A lovely state of affairs...

Hit the nail on the head I think. Any of these places that have a high percentage of expats/ tourists suffer these problems. In areas that are (relatively) sparsely populated by foreign residents, the "real" Thailand is very much still alive.

"the real Thailand is very much still alive" - really, take a look around you, wherever you are. There is a farang on every corner in this country.

Thailand is now multicultural - It's basically been colonised by farang, from all over the world. smile.pngsmile.png

That's why there is so much resentment towards farang here?

Edited by NamKangMan

The more i read this and think about it, i think the Russian was doing exactly what he thought would hurt the Thai guy most, not only as proof, but to make him lose face on youtube and even worse, that his wife was had by a farang, Then again, he may become a national hero for slapping the farang and making him kneel before him...i am done with this thread,been a long one...lol

Police Major General Chot Chawanwiwat, commissioner of Phuket Provincial Police, noted that the video clip of the attack were hurting the tourism image of the province, and the police will investigate whether the person who released the clip had such an ill intention.

When it comes down to it, aren't these people's actions just sickening.

I've witnessed a few unbelievable actions from Thais against foreigners here in the work place, caught on camera, when completely pushed to act the Thai management (extrememly high management) response has always been the same as these... the Thais get asked what little thing is troubling them, and the foreigners are hounded as sheer troublemakers and treated with utter scorn from every local there for daring to make Thais lose face and make them look bad.

A disgusting cultural trait that speaks volumes about the people.

• Like 2

I am working on a script for a new movie that will be released in Thailand soon.

There is a knock on the door, the hero in the movie will open the door and there is a Thai guy that will do the talking .

Our hero will just listen to this:

"You you you know you know THIS is Thailand!!!!!! You you know you know? " Then pointing the gun at our hero and slaps his face.

"Dat my wife!!!! You know you know you know ! You know? "

Our hero dont know anything and happily goes to bed after a few slaps to dream about his future girlfriend.

Causing Thai nationals to lose face is a criminal charge. It's called "damaging the image of Thailand." just as the police stated in the article.

No, it's not a criminal offense, where did you get that idea from?

I "got that idea" from the Cybercrime Act of 2007:

"Thailand gets new cyber crime law

The chief immediate effect of the new bill will be to outlaw any attempt to get around government censors to access any of the tens of thousands of sites censored for moral or political purposes, or "to damage the country". Penalties apply to all illegal acts using the internet, including those carried out abroad and deemed to "damage the country both directly and indirectly".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/120051-thailand-gets-new-cyber-crime-law/

Your 'idea' was that causing a Thai to lose face is against the law . . . and that is simply ridiculous.

No it wasn't. Read it again. You quoted it above. I even italicized the "s" as in plural. Ok, I was being cute with the language, but I think it's clear what I meant. But even singularly, you should check out the Thai defamation laws. Criminal defamation in Thailand need not be false. There are foreigners sitting in Thai prisons that did not take it seriously. Just ask Andy Hall.

In Thailand, defamation is a criminal offense under Chapter 3 Sections 326 up to 333 of the Thai Criminal Code. There are two kinds of defamation:

1) Simple defamation (Section 326) — Whoever imputes anything, to the other person before a third person, in a manner likely to impair the reputation of such other person or to expose such other person to be hated or scorned.

2) Libel (Section 328) — If the offense of defamation is committed by means of document publication, drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means.

In addition there is also civil defamation under the civil code.

Thailand’s Computer Crime Act

Online defamation in Thailand is closely monitored thanks to their Computer Crimes Act. In short, the Computer Crimes Act makes liable both the author of “unlawful data” in addition to the website operators. If you delete the material, it doesn’t matter. If someone sees the illicit statements — even if they were only up for 2 hours — its actionable. As such, it’s illegal to post any kind of defamatory material online in Thailand.

May 2013 Update: Things are heating up in Thailand when it comes to defamation law. A well-known cartoonist published unflattering comments about officials on his Facebook page and is now facing criminal defamation charges. The incident has also sparked riots against the media. International watchdogs are not impressed with the current climate of Thai defamation law.

http://kellywarnerlaw.com/thailand-defamation-laws/

I am always surprised by the number of people whom choose to live in this country but don't take at least a little bit of time to learn it's laws, especially the eccentric ones.

To much seriousness here...going back to the thread about why there are too many people in Burger King. ermm.gif

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

I am working on a script for a new movie that will be released in Thailand soon.

There is a knock on the door, the hero in the movie will open the door and there is a Thai guy that will do the talking .

Our hero will just listen to this:

"You you you know you know THIS is Thailand!!!!!! You you know you know? " Then pointing the gun at our hero and slaps his face.

"Dat my wife!!!! You know you know you know ! You know? "

Our hero dont know anything and happily goes to bed after a few slaps to dream about his future girlfriend.

Reminds me of this movie.

"You talkin' to me?" :) :)

I "got that idea" from the Cybercrime Act of 2007:

"Thailand gets new cyber crime law

The chief immediate effect of the new bill will be to outlaw any attempt to get around government censors to access any of the tens of thousands of sites censored for moral or political purposes, or "to damage the country". Penalties apply to all illegal acts using the internet, including those carried out abroad and deemed to "damage the country both directly and indirectly".

s to lose face is a criminal charge. It's called "damaging the image of Thailand." just as the police stated in the article.

No, it's not a criminal offense, where did you get that idea from?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/120051-thailand-gets-new-cyber-crime-law/

Your 'idea' was that causing a Thai to lose face is against the law . . . and that is simply ridiculous.

No it wasn't. Read it again. You quoted it above. I even italicized the "s" as in plural. Ok, I was being cute with the language, but I think it's clear what I meant. But even singularly, you should check out the Thai defamation laws. Criminal defamation in Thailand need not be false. There are foreigners sitting in Thai prisons that did not take it seriously. Just ask Andy Hall.

In Thailand, defamation is a criminal offense under Chapter 3 Sections 326 up to 333 of the Thai Criminal Code. There are two kinds of defamation:

1) Simple defamation (Section 326) — Whoever imputes anything, to the other person before a third person, in a manner likely to impair the reputation of such other person or to expose such other person to be hated or scorned.

2) Libel (Section 328) — If the offense of defamation is committed by means of document publication, drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means.

In addition there is also civil defamation under the civil code.

Thailand’s Computer Crime Act

Online defamation in Thailand is closely monitored thanks to their Computer Crimes Act. In short, the Computer Crimes Act makes liable both the author of “unlawful data” in addition to the website operators. If you delete the material, it doesn’t matter. If someone sees the illicit statements — even if they were only up for 2 hours — its actionable. As such, it’s illegal to post any kind of defamatory material online in Thailand.

May 2013 Update: Things are heating up in Thailand when it comes to defamation law. A well-known cartoonist published unflattering comments about officials on his Facebook page and is now facing criminal defamation charges. The incident has also sparked riots against the media. International watchdogs are not impressed with the current climate of Thai defamation law.

http://kellywarnerlaw.com/thailand-defamation-laws/

I am always surprised by the number of people whom choose to live in this country but don't take at least a little bit of time to learn it's laws, especially the eccentric ones.

To much seriousness here...going back to the thread about why there are too many people in Burger King. ermm.gif

No, it is quite clear what you wrote - that's why I quoted it, but I'll do it again:

"Causing Thai nationals to lose face is a criminal charge."

Clear as anything. No being clever with words. Clear as anything.

You had also better look up what libel means - it is a far cry from having filmed someone threatening you with a gun and physically assaulting you.

This is in no way libel . . . but just for you I asked my wife who is a lawyer, and you miss out again. I shall ask our company lawyer on Monday just tombe on the safest side possible . . .

If the idiotic cops want to make a bigger issue out of it by claiming it is insulting to the nation then that is a different matter. Having said that, the foreign government in question will surely pose the odd question to this farce

As for:

"I am always surprised by the number of people whom choose to live in this country but don't take at least a little bit of time to learn it's laws, especially the eccentric ones."

Good grief . . . the irony is palpable

This Commander in chief should be reminded that when a crime is committed in Thailand, the police get busy staging up a re-enactment of the crime, invite journalists, take pictures and videos if they wish, and publish the "lose face" results in newspapers for anyone to see and read.

Now all of this has been avoided through a real-time video of the crime, resulting in cost savings for the police force who can go about doing their regular work (sic).

No way to please these people...

you forgot the "kerching" way to please the leeches

Jeez, with all this modern technology such as internet and cameras etc the Thais might have to start taking responsibility, admiting fault and persecuting Thais for wrongdoings against foreigners.... and they don't seem to be liking it all that much at all eh.

When is the next season of Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand or whatever it was going to begin. They had absolute canaries over that!

Edited by Salapoo

I just finally got around to watching the video. Going to do a little keyboard CSI.

I am not convinced that was a fake gun. It looks like a Smith and Wesson 5906 or similar just like the one I used to carry everyday. Gun owners out there can back me up on this. When you press the front of the slide against an object, it causes the slide to move back slightly. Then when you release it, a spring inside moves the slide back into place. If you listen carefully at time index 1:25 you will hear this. Gun users know this sound well. Sounds a bit like a stapler. If it's a replica, it's a very realistic one.

I would be surprised if it was fake. By the way, I know this isn't the West, but where I come from, it doesn't matter if it's real or fake. Because the person on the other side of the gun doesn't know either. Rightfully so,the punishment is equal if you commit it with a real or fake gun.

This guy would be imprisoned for no less than 5 years for this crime in the US. Probably longer and rightfully so.

I often down the American justice system, but crimes of this nature need to be dealt with harshly. He'll likely do a month or three in jail. If that. Thailand should be downright ashamed someone can be caught on video doing something like this and buy their way out with $300 to the defendant and case closed. What a joke.

Edited by happysanook

He didn't slap him enough. There are plenty of single women he didn't have to take another man's wife on his excursion. Should have been a real gun and blew the ass-holes head off. Its the Thai man who is the victim here. His wife cant be a whole lot going with the Russian in the first place. Thai women never happy no matter what they have got, maybe he should have slapped her instead.

You're totally blind to reality. How do you expect people to know if a girl is married if she makes herself available?

Probably the percentage of working girls who are married or involved with Thai men approaches 100%.

• Like 1

He didn't slap him enough. There are plenty of single women he didn't have to take another man's wife on his excursion. Should have been a real gun and blew the ass-holes head off. Its the Thai man who is the victim here. His wife cant be a whole lot going with the Russian in the first place. Thai women never happy no matter what they have got, maybe he should have slapped her instead.

Wow, you sound like a really nice guy... yep a man deserves to get his head blown off if he goes with a married woman, knowingly or not. I believe such penalties for this "Crime" only apply in some countries in the middle east... you should consider a move there - sounds like it would suit you.

The Thai man is the victim? usually the victim isn't the guy holding the gun.

Maybe he already was slapping her and that is why she was looking around for other prospects... Why not the Russian? He looked young and fit - and obviously he is a much more cool-headed guy than his antagonist.

• Like 1

Released the video to deliberately "tarnish" Phuket's image? LOL

A lot of things about Thailand go viral and capture the attention of the worlds media because of certain Thai departments and officials who publicise them. Most would go un noticed if it wasn't for some officials who start shooting their mouths off without engaging their brains. Let sleeping dogs lie and they won't bite you.

Hit the nail on the head I think.  Any of these places that have a high percentage of expats/ tourists suffer these problems.  In areas that are (relatively) sparsely populated by foreign residents, the "real" Thailand is very much still alive.

"the real Thailand is very much still alive" - really, take a look around you, wherever you are.  There is a farang on every corner in this country. 

Thailand is now multicultural - It's basically been colonised by farang, from all over the world. Posted ImagePosted Image

That's why there is so much resentment towards farang here?

All the half cast kids are the future.

Diluting the bloodlines is the only way.