Police: online clip of attack on Russian tarnishes Phuket's image

webfact

I seriously don'T get the hatred for the thai police.

You're all supposed to feel sorry for them. Most officers dont seem to be able to tie their own shoes. Imagine how shitty they feel day in and out

Wait tell you actually need them, hah - or expect them to help and ... chances are you will be posting a different tune bearpoler.

Good to see they are concerned about the important things; faceloss and tourism revenues, and not an unprovoked attack on a tourist

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Released the video to deliberately "tarnish" Phuket's image? LOL

A lot of things about Thailand go viral and capture the attention of the worlds media because of certain Thai departments and officials who publicise them. Most would go un noticed if it wasn't for some officials who start shooting their mouths off without engaging their brains. Let sleeping dogs lie and they won't bite you.

Not viral anymore. Swept under the carpet yet again

hmm... seems the russian knew what was coming, or why did he setup a camera to film the scene?

I usually don't do that when someone knocks on the door.

The thai lady called him to tell him her husband<brother > was on the way as she just had a beating too.

I "got that idea" from the Cybercrime Act of 2007:

"Thailand gets new cyber crime law

The chief immediate effect of the new bill will be to outlaw any attempt to get around government censors to access any of the tens of thousands of sites censored for moral or political purposes, or "to damage the country". Penalties apply to all illegal acts using the internet, including those carried out abroad and deemed to "damage the country both directly and indirectly".

No, it's not a criminal offense, where did you get that idea from?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/120051-thailand-gets-new-cyber-crime-law/

Your 'idea' was that causing a Thai to lose face is against the law . . . and that is simply ridiculous.

No it wasn't. Read it again. You quoted it above. I even italicized the "s" as in plural. Ok, I was being cute with the language, but I think it's clear what I meant. But even singularly, you should check out the Thai defamation laws. Criminal defamation in Thailand need not be false. There are foreigners sitting in Thai prisons that did not take it seriously. Just ask Andy Hall.

In Thailand, defamation is a criminal offense under Chapter 3 Sections 326 up to 333 of the Thai Criminal Code. There are two kinds of defamation:

1) Simple defamation (Section 326) — Whoever imputes anything, to the other person before a third person, in a manner likely to impair the reputation of such other person or to expose such other person to be hated or scorned.

2) Libel (Section 328) — If the offense of defamation is committed by means of document publication, drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means.

In addition there is also civil defamation under the civil code.

Thailand’s Computer Crime Act

Online defamation in Thailand is closely monitored thanks to their Computer Crimes Act. In short, the Computer Crimes Act makes liable both the author of “unlawful data” in addition to the website operators. If you delete the material, it doesn’t matter. If someone sees the illicit statements — even if they were only up for 2 hours — its actionable. As such, it’s illegal to post any kind of defamatory material online in Thailand.

May 2013 Update: Things are heating up in Thailand when it comes to defamation law. A well-known cartoonist published unflattering comments about officials on his Facebook page and is now facing criminal defamation charges. The incident has also sparked riots against the media. International watchdogs are not impressed with the current climate of Thai defamation law.

http://kellywarnerlaw.com/thailand-defamation-laws/

I am always surprised by the number of people whom choose to live in this country but don't take at least a little bit of time to learn it's laws, especially the eccentric ones.

To much seriousness here...going back to the thread about why there are too many people in Burger King. ermm.gif

No, it is quite clear what you wrote - that's why I quoted it, but I'll do it again:

"Causing Thai nationals to lose face is a criminal charge."

Clear as anything. No being clever with words. Clear as anything.

You had also better look up what libel means - it is a far cry from having filmed someone threatening you with a gun and physically assaulting you.

This is in no way libel . . . but just for you I asked my wife who is a lawyer, and you miss out again. I shall ask our company lawyer on Monday just tombe on the safest side possible . . .

If the idiotic cops want to make a bigger issue out of it by claiming it is insulting to the nation then that is a different matter. Having said that, the foreign government in question will surely pose the odd question to this farce

As for:

"I am always surprised by the number of people whom choose to live in this country but don't take at least a little bit of time to learn it's laws, especially the eccentric ones."

Good grief . . . the irony is palpable

Mate you are so lost there is no point in replying. I'll just say please look up some original sources instead of asking your wife. It is, as you say, clear as anything.

Edited by NomadJoe

hmm... seems the russian knew what was coming, or why did he setup a camera to film the scene?

I usually don't do that when someone knocks on the door.

The thai lady called him to tell him her husband<brother > was on the way as she just had a beating too.

ok... whould I open the door in that case? No.

For NJ and SS:

"...admitted he had indeed physically assaulted his ex-girlfriend who sought help from police about the abuse, but added that he is considering a lawsuit against her for tarnishing his reputation by speaking out."

lol.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648389-son-of-bangkok-mafioso-threatens-lawsuit-against-ex-girlfriend/

Speak or publicize the truth that causes Thais or Thailand to lose face.... watch out. Their petulent, disgusting nature comes rushing to the fore with the help of the law.

• Like 1

In what country would you get by with taking another man's wife on an 'excursion' and not expect trouble?

Thailand! ...and please give us some indication that you are not that naive / ignorant.

Where's the thread with all the village guys on about the farangs who come over for 3 months a year while their wive's real husband moves out and pretends to just be a local buffalo worker while old-farang is in town sleeping with their missus. 555

Edited by Salapoo

Please tell me you all realise that video is totally staged? There is no way that is real.

For one, look at the perfect lighting, framing and quality of the shot. Just an accident he had a HD quality video and sound system with flood lighting set up facing his door?

For two, look at the so called victim's complete lack of surprise or reaction; people threatened with guns and slapped about the head tend to shake, plead, protest, put their hands up, and all sorts of other natural fight or flight reactions.

And for three listen to the sound effects of the slap! Hahaha, that's someone clapping their hands next to a microphone, not someone being slapped in the face recorded by a microphone 2 metres away.

C'mon, The whole thing is a hoax.

I think if it was fake the Thai cops would have already beat the truth out of the Thai actor and that is what we would be reading. That would save face for sure and the cops would be happy.

For NJ and SS:

"...admitted he had indeed physically assaulted his ex-girlfriend who sought help from police about the abuse, but added that he is considering a lawsuit against her for tarnishing his reputation by speaking out."

lol.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648389-son-of-bangkok-mafioso-threatens-lawsuit-against-ex-girlfriend/

Speak or publicize the truth that causes Thais or Thailand to lose face.... watch out. Their petulent, disgusting nature comes rushing to the fore with the help of the law.

I doubt this will make any difference to SS. You can show the law and you can show examples of the law being used and still some people will not believe it.

Mate you are so lost there is no point in replying. I'll just say please look up some original sources instead of asking your wife. It is, as you say, clear as anything.

There is no point in replying . . . says the man in his reply.

If I'm missing something about you having said that causing a Thai to lose face is a crime then please correct me. (But don't say you were being 'clever' with your words . . . it was a simple sentence)

If you (knowingly) mess with a married woman you deserve to get hurt in my opinion.

I believe that's also the opinion of the police, so why would they take action against a Thai man if was really the victim in the broader story.

People step out of line and get slapped every day, it's only that fact that this is on video that makes it different.

This is partly true. If one knowingly does something he shouldn't do then he might expect a certain form of retribution. This statement is correct. But if the deed is not illegal, then the avenging party commits a crime. Adultery is not illegal outside the muslim world, I think.

In what country would you get by with taking another man's wife on an 'excursion' and not expect trouble?

Thailand! ...and please give us some indication that you are not that naive / ignorant.

Where's the thread with all the village guys on about the farangs who come over for 3 months a year while their wive's real husband moves out and pretends to just be a local buffalo worker while old-farang is in town sleeping with their missus. 555

It is probably on some Thai forum; ...clearly. What is your point?

I want to see a video of the Thai idiot coming back to the Russian's door with his fake gun and then see what happens... that Russian dude was fairly big and held himself like he could go a round or two. Poor Thai guy would be potato mashed I suspect. Please, someone make it happen!

I like how it was the Russian's fault too... 'he took my wife out'. That is so funny, poor Russian guy wouldn't have known the husband even existed. There is absolutely no way the Thai girl would have said anything.

Quote from another newspaper: "We try our best to serve and protect the people of Phuket, both Thais and foreigners. I do not want our reputation to be destroyed by such a video,” Gen Choti stated.

What reputation?? This from the Thai Ombudsman's office late last year: "BANGKOK, 29 March 2012 (NNT) - The Office of the Ombudsman Thailand has reported that the Royal Thai Police has been found to be the most corrupt agency in Thailand".

So what's to be destroyed?

• Like 1

I beleive he may the editor of the Russian edition

A RUSSIAN editor of an ENGLISH language newspaper??? I've never read the subject paper but it must be hillarious considering the Russians' English skills......

Thai police , and I'm no fan of RTP, may be having this reaction as they too think the video is utter junk. Therfore the concern it was made to defame is quite natural, as that is the number one priority, the visage....

Just cannot respect it.

Will there ever be a day when Thais react to the exposure -- particularly internationally -- of a mistake or a crime by condemning the person at fault rather than the person who exposes it? Sadly not, I fear, because the saving of face is the top priority of a Thai, and that cultural trait is unlikely ever to disappear.

I think the scams, tuk tuks, corruption etc does more damage to Phukets image than exposing a crime against someone.

No money to be made out of this pesky farang so it's his fault.

And the single, beer-swilling, girl chasing, farang guys who flock to these places (notably Phuket and Pattaya) don't exactly help give them a great reputation amongst anybody but like-seeking farang guys, either!! All becomes a vicious circle, really, Thais not trusting or liking the farangs so are quite happy to rip them off when they can.. and too many farangs distrusting anybody Thai they come into contact with.. no respect all round!!! A lovely state of affairs...

Hit the nail on the head I think. Any of these places that have a high percentage of expats/ tourists suffer these problems. In areas that are (relatively) sparsely populated by foreign residents, the "real" Thailand is very much still alive.

"the real Thailand is very much still alive" - really, take a look around you, wherever you are. There is a farang on every corner in this country.

Thailand is now multicultural - It's basically been colonised by farang, from all over the world. smile.pngsmile.png

That's why there is so much resentment towards farang here?

Envy. And the usual doses of nationalism instilled through Thai culture.

It is probably on some Thai forum; ...clearly. What is your point?

It backs up your point.

• Like 1

... The suspect was identified as Mr. Patchara Utsaha, 37, a native of Trang province. Pol.Maj.Gen. Choti said the man confessed to his actions, saying that he threatened the Russian with his replica gun out of anger after Mr. Tubaev went on a date with his wife. The police commander added that the case is now being processed by the court. ...

Did anyone happen to notice that he kept his "replica gun" in an "inside-the-waistband" clip-on holster, designed for concealed carry?

How many people with "replica guns" have a conceled carry holster for it???

Interesting way to argue against assault with a deadly weapon. Thailand won't pursue illegal gun possession or carry because he admitted it was a "replica gun". :)

Culprit: What are you doing? I am Thai. He is Russian. Now the Thai police is on the side of the farang?

Police: But it is all over the news and on the internet. I cannot let you get away with it. Too late for that.

Culprit: Okay, I understand. How much you want?

Police: No, you do not understand. You pulled a gun at the guy and it is on YouTube. The whole world has seen it.

Culprit: I give you the 10,000 Baht the Russian refused. How can you help me?

Police: Best we can do is announce that the gun was a replica. Will save you considerable jail time.

Culprit: Deal. Here is the money. Next time I see you in the karaoke you owe me a beer.

Police: Hahahaha, okay. Say hello to your wife.

• Like 2

I note the Thai perpetrator of this assault and threatening with a deadly weapon again seems to have no name and no personal information.

This seems to be the pattern.

His full name, age, and management position of the company he works for has already been published by the Thai media and is posted in this and the other thread.

I note the Thai perpetrator of this assault and threatening with a deadly weapon again seems to have no name and no personal information.

This seems to be the pattern.

His full name, age, and management position of the company he works for has already been published by the Thai media and is posted in this and the other thread.

Thank you. I stand corrected.

• Like 2