BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Police: online clip of attack on Russian tarnishes Phuket's image

I find the video clip a fake- the Russian guy "just happened to have a camera ready for filming" (if you know a jealous husband is coming, why not get the #ell out?); next the Russian casually opens the door ...(if I was expecting the husband I would not open it but have a conversation through the door..); next, the young man just sits there saying nothing... then when the Thai man finally leaves the Russian just casually walks up and shuts the door, doesn't even lock it. Not enough emotion from the Russian- I say the clip is a fake.

• Like 1

To state the obvious, the reaction of "authorities" to anything the least bit silly, is .. well... usually silly - as in childish. This is a minor case that is yet another mole hill turned into a mountain by those "authorities". I can't wait to here what the Pink Cadillac driver has to say. coffee1.gif

I find the video clip a fake- the Russian guy "just happened to have a camera ready for filming" (if you know a jealous husband is coming, why not get the #ell out?); next the Russian casually opens the door ...(if I was expecting the husband I would not open it but have a conversation through the door..); next, the young man just sits there saying nothing... then when the Thai man finally leaves the Russian just casually walks up and shuts the door, doesn't even lock it. Not enough emotion from the Russian- I say the clip is a fake.

Slaps in the face and ear aren't fake,that would have hurt, if it was fake,the slaps would never touch the ear, secondly,he knew he was coming and decided to film and shame the idiot, instead of hiding and getting hurt later outside his home, the slaps are real, even if the rest is fake.

• Like 2

Is 'causing a Thai national to lose face' a criminal charge now?

Causing Thai nationals to lose face is a criminal charge. It's called "damaging the image of Thailand." just as the police stated in the article.

When you here police making comments like these, it's a good reminder of protections we live under in most western countries when compared to many developing counties.

Is pointing a fake piece at someone against the law here?

Yes, if your intent is to make the person you are pointing it at think it is real. Same as in most countries.

Not sure I agree, I know of one case where the police would not follow up on a case of threatening behaviour with a sword as it was only a threat, only if there had been an attack and harm would a crime have been committed...

Using lack of police action to determine what is legal and what is not legal does not make much sense in Thailand does it? biggrin.png

Police Major General Chot Chawanwiwat, commissioner of Phuket Provincial Police, noted that the video clip of the attack were hurting the tourism image of the province, and the police will investigate whether the person who released the clip had such an ill intention.

Insanity at its best! So many get killed, ripped off by various locals etc....Fake, or real gun, they should investigate the guy who'd done it. Full stop.-wai2.gif

A RUSSIAN editor of an ENGLISH language newspaper??? I've never read the subject paper but it must be hillarious considering the Russians' English skills......

Reputation of Phuket......damaged? All I hear and read it is THE place to stay away if you want quality time in Thailand.

Will there ever be a day when Thais react to the exposure -- particularly internationally -- of a mistake or a crime by condemning the person at fault rather than the person who exposes it? Sadly not, I fear, because the saving of face is the top priority of a Thai, and that cultural trait is unlikely ever to disappear.

Is 'causing a Thai national to lose face' a criminal charge now?

Causing Thai nationals to lose face is a criminal charge. It's called "damaging the image of Thailand." just as the police stated in the article.

No, it's not a criminal offense, where did you get that idea from?

I would love to see the meeting of ambassadors discuss the police chief's ridiculous stance on this - negating assault with a deadly weapon (even if it was a fake as the victim didn't know this)

At least the Thai man was smart enough to bring a replica gun and not a written note saying "I have a gun" like the bank robbery guy. Obviously the police are much more interested in notes than in weapons!