Police: online clip of attack on Russian tarnishes Phuket's image

webfact

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you (knowingly) mess with a married woman you deserve to get hurt in my opinion.

I believe that's also the opinion of the police, so why would they take action against a Thai man if was really the victim in the broader story.

People step out of line and get slapped every day, it's only that fact that this is on video that makes it different.

Did you read the story . The Russian kid didnt know she was married she told him she lived with her brother . The guy is a coward like most Thais and anywhere else and with a different person he would have had that gun taken away from him and gotten beat to a pulp ! if you want to handle situations like this then you have to also accept that the guy you point your gun at might come back and kill you , chop you up and get rid of your little body in the ocean . You never know who your dealing with or what type of family they are from . In my circle , no police would have been called and the little Thai guy would not be seen again , and he would deserve it ! Better to live peaceful , live and let live and if you have an unfaithful wife , it kick her ass out and find a new girl too many fish in the sea , Peace ! wai.gif
  • Like 2

Is pointing a fake piece at someone against the law here?

If any lawyer can address this scenario...

Had this (russian) guy on seeing a gun, assaulted the thai chap in self-defense (since not knowing that the gun is fake) .... what would have happened ?

Would the russian be charged for aggravated assault ? Or, not charged at all as he acted in self-defense ?

I forgot to say there are a lot of people on Phuket that are very nice and honest and don't want this kind of thing happening Anywhere

Yes I have to say that I know people like this too in Phuket. The problem is that they remain silent, and they do absolutely nothing to stop activity.

No protesting to stop the corruption and abuse of tourism, no protecting of the industry. How about they started carrying cameras or turned the cameras on that their phones have every time they see something being done and posting one copy to the police, another to the media. Having the media publish it if something is not done about it.

They can protest about if their selected political group controls the country, but they do not care enough to protest about the well being of the tourism industry in their province. Obviously Tourism is not an important funding mechanism for Phuket. I would suggest that perhaps the Russian Federation is about to provide a timely reminder of how important it is in the form of a reduction in tourism numbers and spending.

• Like 1

Is it possable to tarnishes Phuket's image???

No!! but it is possible to tarnish it's image.

Iit took a steady hand to highlight the I in bold, still not sure it had the impact I was after though.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

I forgot to say there are a lot of people on Phuket that are very nice and honest and don't want this kind of thing happening Anywhere

Yes I have to say that I know people like this too in Phuket. The problem is that they remain silent, and they do absolutely nothing to stop activity.

No protesting to stop the corruption and abuse of tourism, no protecting of the industry. How about they started carrying cameras or turned the cameras on that their phones have every time they see something being done and posting one copy to the police, another to the media. Having the media publish it if something is not done about it.

They can protest about if their selected political group controls the country, but they do not care enough to protest about the well being of the tourism industry in their province. Obviously Tourism is not an important funding mechanism for Phuket. I would suggest that perhaps the Russian Federation is about to provide a timely reminder of how important it is in the form of a reduction in tourism numbers and spending.

Are you saying that these particular 'silent' people are hyperactive???

hmm... seems the russian knew what was coming, or why did he setup a camera to film the scene?

I usually don't do that when someone knocks on the door.

I would have anticipated what was going to happen (seems he did obviously as he set up the camera for such purpose) and got a much bigger gun than his - A la crocodile Dundee style with the knife!!!

Either that, or he enjoys the thrill of being dominated by others!!

If you (knowingly) mess with a married woman you deserve to get hurt in my opinion.

I believe that's also the opinion of the police, so why would they take action against a Thai man if was really the victim in the broader story.

People step out of line and get slapped every day, it's only that fact that this is on video that makes it different.

The woman told the Russian man that she was single and living with her BROTHER, numb scull

Numb scull is a good description of someone who makes that comment ignoring the word (knowingly) which I put in brackets to make it easier for people with limited intelligence.

(The point is he (dint) (knowingly) (mess) with her. he was (told) she was living with her (BROTHER) and was (not) married)))

If he had "knowingly" "messed" with a married woman I agree he (would have) "deserved" to get hurt (reprimanded)

• Like 2

Is 'causing a Thai national to lose face' a criminal charge now?

Causing Thai nationals to lose face is a criminal charge. It's called "damaging the image of Thailand." just as the police stated in the article.

When you here police making comments like these, it's a good reminder of protections we live under in most western countries when compared to many developing counties.

Is pointing a fake piece at someone against the law here?

Yes, if your intent is to make the person you are pointing it at think it is real. Same as in most countries.

Not sure I agree, I know of one case where the police would not follow up on a case of threatening behaviour with a sword as it was only a threat, only if there had been an attack and harm would a crime have been committed...
I am sure that most police forces in the world do not stop crime from happening so much as they investigate crimes that have happened. You really need to protect yourself.

Two of the most important apps on my phone are my camera and the voice recorder. You would be amazed at the difficult situations you can protect yourself from using them. It is important obviously to understand the legal standing and implications of filming or audio taping in the setting you are in (e.g. I cannot film or record in a store in my country, but I can record and tape in a public place).

I am saying that Phuket people are voicing their concerns in the photo that this guy has tarnished their image (even though the Police claim it is the Russian tarnishing their image) however they are not doing enough to ensure that tourists are kept safe from such people in Phuket. You can claim it happens everywhere as some do on this forum regularly, the fact is it that it is being highly publicized in Phuket, and to a lesser extend in Pattaya. If Phuket residents love the tourist dollar, they need to understand that they are sharing their right to enjoy the towns and beaches with tourists in exchange for cash and for fair and reasonable treatment.

Being accused of "tarnishing" the image of the province because you filmed and published a home invasion experience as a result of something allegedly out of your control (the Russian did not know that the woman, Karn, had a husband) is not fair treatment. It is an outrage and the biggest tarnish on the image of Phuket out of all of this.

• Like 1

The woman told the Russian man that she was single and living with her BROTHER, numb scull

Numb scull is a good description of someone who makes that comment ignoring the word (knowingly) which I put in brackets to make it easier for people with limited intelligence.

(The point is he (dint) (knowingly) (mess) with her. he was (told) she was living with her (BROTHER) and was (not) married)))

If he had "knowingly" "messed" with a married woman I agree he (would have) "deserved" to get hurt (reprimanded)

I think ye of superior intelligence should explain to these lesser mortals (lacking inteligence) exactly what a "numb scull " is, so they can start acting like one - it's only fair you know!!

Two of the most important apps on my phone are my camera and the voice recorder. You would be amazed at the difficult situations you can protect yourself from using them. It is important obviously to understand the legal standing and implications of filming or audio taping in the setting you are in (e.g. I cannot film or record in a store in my country, but I can record and tape in a public place).

I am saying that Phuket people are voicing their concerns in the photo that this guy has tarnished their image (even though the Police claim it is the Russian tarnishing their image) however they are not doing enough to ensure that tourists are kept safe from such people in Phuket. You can claim it happens everywhere as some do on this forum regularly, the fact is it that it is being highly publicized in Phuket, and to a lesser extend in Pattaya. If Phuket residents love the tourist dollar, they need to understand that they are sharing their right to enjoy the towns and beaches with tourists in exchange for cash and for fair and reasonable treatment.

Being accused of "tarnishing" the image of the province because you filmed and published a home invasion experience as a result of something allegedly out of your control (the Russian did not know that the woman, Karn, had a husband) is not fair treatment. It is an outrage and the biggest tarnish on the image of Phuket out of all of this.

"Being accused of "tarnishing" the image of the province because you filmed and published a home invasion experience as a result of something allegedly out of your control (the Russian did not know that the woman, Karn, had a husband) is not fair treatment. It is an outrage and the biggest tarnish on the image of Phuket out of all of this".

But you'll agree that he had more than an inkling in thinking that this Thai man wasn't going to be his best buddy soon though and was inclined to believe that something was amiss in all of this and his preceeding actions that led to these shenanigans!!!!

"Police Major General Chot Chawanwiwat, commissioner of Phuket Provincial Police, noted that the video clip of the attack were hurting the tourism image of the province, and the police will investigate whether the person who released the clip had such an ill intention."

This means the police are getting themselves involved in curtailing free speech. Do they call this treason?

• Like 1

Thai authorities are super-paranoid about the press moving away from self-censorship. This is a Russian edited local Phuket news outlet. Under the Thai system of "press freedom", it must not criticise Phuket, damage Phuket's image or, most importantly, expose any wrongdoing of the powers-that-be.

There are many ways the authorities can curtail or suppress the activities of any media outlet that does not tow the official line. This is a warning from a senior police officer that this outlet has gone too far.

I find the video clip a fake- the Russian guy "just happened to have a camera ready for filming" (if you know a jealous husband is coming, why not get the #ell out?); next the Russian casually opens the door ...(if I was expecting the husband I would not open it but have a conversation through the door..); next, the young man just sits there saying nothing... then when the Thai man finally leaves the Russian just casually walks up and shuts the door, doesn't even lock it. Not enough emotion from the Russian- I say the clip is a fake.

so why the russian went to file a complain with the police , left the building very fast and the country even faster ? Maybe you should try and get a gun pointed at your head , in most of the case its scary enough to avoid any movement.

I really hope this video goes viral in Russia and that the Russians stop coming to places like phuket and pattaya for a while. Maybe go else where ( hua hin, samui?) just to hurt thailands tourism for a bit.

Living in Vietnam, I get the feeling that most of them are here, already, especially in Mui Ne and Nha Trang.

You really couldn't make this stuff up!............."the police will investigate whether the person who posted the clip intended to harm Phuket's tourism image"?

<deleted>?!

How about getting off their corrupt backsides and prosecuting the slag with the weapon?

• Like 1

Why would someone have his video on like that ? Seems highly suspicious to me that there is a lot more behind this. It almost looks like it has been rehearsed and is being acted out. Why did the Russian just walk away from the unlocked door after the guy ahs already come back in ? Any sane person would blockade it and call the police. After all he has the "evidence" of the assult doesn't he ?

• Like 1