Police: online clip of attack on Russian tarnishes Phuket's image

webfact

In what country would you get by with taking another man's wife on an 'excursion' and not expect trouble?

Absolutely agree.

The old saying comes to mind; never <deleted> on your own doorstep.

Lets face it, if some guy was having an affair with your wife, would you not be angry, although of course this doesn`t say much for the class of this guy`s wife.

As I have said many times in the past, keep your head down and keep a low profile in Thailand, do not get involved.

• Like 1

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How come nobody is talking of the two timing wife in this case ? Apparently she told the russian that the man she lived with was her brother and not boyfreind/husband...surely she would have cooked up a story to protect herself from an angry husband when caught...the enraged thai husband pulls out a gun and threatens the man who went on a date with his wife... crimes of passion like these happen all over the world... carrying a gun and demonstrating your intent to use it is clearly a problem... the issue is what triggered the whole situation ? the 'image' of this country is tarnished less by an angry husband threatening a man who sleeps with his wfie and more by the danger of being duped by a married woman who can expose a foreigner to such a predicament by willing to go out with an unsuspecting man.... dunno...

• Like 1

bet the russian gets some jailtime for recording the viseo without permission and invaded the persons privacy , the slapper on the other hand gets a 500 Thb fine

No the Russian has gone home with his tail between his legs and I bet he wont come back along with another 1,000 other people who are influenced by this incident.

I would have hoped he could have sent some unsavory people to pay a visit to our little Thai man and teach him a lesson Russian KGB style (and put that on U-Tube but it would take a fair bit of cash to do that and judging by the room he was staying in, he is most likely not so rich. Shame

• Like 1

Phuket Police defend action over Russian gun threat YouTube video
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Phuket’s top-ranking police officer Maj Gen Choti Chavalviwat called a press conference yesterday to announce that he has ordered an investigation into the posting of a YouTube video which he says damages the image of Phuket and Thailand

The 2.16 minute video (click here) shows a Thai man using a gun to threaten a Russian man, kick him once and repeatedly slap him.

“The fact is, this happened because of a personal conflict,” said Gen Choti. “It was not a random attack. It happened a while ago; the Thai man confessed and he is expected to be sentenced on July 12,” he said.

“I don’t know exactly what the person who posted this on YouTube was thinking,” said Gen Choti.

“A video like this could hurt the relationship between Thais and Russians, and Thais and other nationalities too.”

Gen Choti said he had assigned Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Arun Kaewvatee to determine if any “hidden motive” was behind the posting of the video.

“Our first step is to contact the High Tech Crime Unit in Bangkok,” Col Arun told the Phuket Gazette.

The Russian man in the video, Vasiln Tubaev, 26, arrived on Phuket on April 5 and was attacked in his room at PN Mansion in Rassada on June 6, said Gen Choti.

The suspect, 37-year-old Patchara Utsaha, lived in the same building. He confessed to the attack, saying he was angry because Mr Tubaev went with his girlfriend, Wilaiwan Kengdiaw, 21, on a trip to Khao Lak.

In the video, Mr Patchara stands at the entrance to Mr Tubaev’s room holding what appears to be a gun. Mr Tubaev kneels in front of him with his back to the camera as Mr Patchara threatens him with the gun and slaps him in the face several times.

Among other things he says, “You know she girlfriend [points to self]. “You know.” “Karn is my wife.” “You go back Russia.”

The incident happened on June 6, Phuket City Police received the complaint on June 9 and arrested the suspect on June 12. The YouTube video was posted on June 18.

By 11:15am today, the video had received 145,127 hits, almost double the number it had 24 hours earlier, when the story was first posted online.

“We try our best to serve and protect the people of Phuket, both Thais and foreigners. I do not want our reputation to be destroyed by such a video,” Gen Choti stated.

“Please be informed that we take every case seriously, especially those that involve foreigners… We searched Mr Patchara’s room and found a replica gun. Mr Patchara has been charged with breaking another person’s property, assault and deprivation of liberty.

“I would like to ask the press to present what we have done and what the truth is,” he said.

“This is about a man who made a mistake and he is paying the price. I would like to ask everyone to understand the situation and to understand that we have done our job. We do not want tourists to think that this is a normal thing for Thai people to do,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Police-defend-action-over-Russian-gun-threat-YouTube-video-21402.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-21

I don't see why there is so much national fuzz around this story.

An unfaithful wife goes for a ride with another man. Her husband finds out and confronts his rival. This can happen (and it does happen) anywhere in the world, including Russia. As a matter of fact, a similar situation in Moscow, Sankt Petersburg or Vladivostok could have ended up much worse.

The scary lesson foreign tourists learn from this: do not sleep with someone else's spouse, even if you're in Thailand. Wow.

This is not about a Thai national and a Russian (or foreign) visitor. It's not a Phuket or Thailand issue. It's a story of two men and one unfaithful woman. What message will the Royal Police send if they give the worst possible hell to the husband: Thai man, beware, never confront the farangs who fool around with your wives?

I would not like to be in any of the two men's boots.

well said....my thoughts exactly...

• Like 1

If you (knowingly) mess with a married woman you deserve to get hurt in my opinion.

I believe that's also the opinion of the police, so why would they take action against a Thai man if was really the victim in the broader story.

People step out of line and get slapped every day, it's only that fact that this is on video that makes it different.

If you read the first post she never told the Russian she was married, maybe the woman wanted to get her husband jealous for some reason.

Phuket Police defend action over Russian gun threat YouTube video

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Phuket’s top-ranking police officer Maj Gen Choti Chavalviwat called a press conference yesterday to announce that he has ordered an investigation into the posting of a YouTube video which he says damages the image of Phuket and Thailand

The 2.16 minute video (click here) shows a Thai man using a gun to threaten a Russian man, kick him once and repeatedly slap him.

“The fact is, this happened because of a personal conflict,” said Gen Choti. “It was not a random attack. It happened a while ago; the Thai man confessed and he is expected to be sentenced on July 12,” he said.

“I don’t know exactly what the person who posted this on YouTube was thinking,” said Gen Choti.

“A video like this could hurt the relationship between Thais and Russians, and Thais and other nationalities too.”

Gen Choti said he had assigned Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Arun Kaewvatee to determine if any “hidden motive” was behind the posting of the video.

“Our first step is to contact the High Tech Crime Unit in Bangkok,” Col Arun told the Phuket Gazette.

The Russian man in the video, Vasiln Tubaev, 26, arrived on Phuket on April 5 and was attacked in his room at PN Mansion in Rassada on June 6, said Gen Choti.

The suspect, 37-year-old Patchara Utsaha, lived in the same building. He confessed to the attack, saying he was angry because Mr Tubaev went with his girlfriend, Wilaiwan Kengdiaw, 21, on a trip to Khao Lak.

In the video, Mr Patchara stands at the entrance to Mr Tubaev’s room holding what appears to be a gun. Mr Tubaev kneels in front of him with his back to the camera as Mr Patchara threatens him with the gun and slaps him in the face several times.

Among other things he says, “You know she girlfriend [points to self]. “You know.” “Karn is my wife.” “You go back Russia.”

The incident happened on June 6, Phuket City Police received the complaint on June 9 and arrested the suspect on June 12. The YouTube video was posted on June 18.

By 11:15am today, the video had received 145,127 hits, almost double the number it had 24 hours earlier, when the story was first posted online.

“We try our best to serve and protect the people of Phuket, both Thais and foreigners. I do not want our reputation to be destroyed by such a video,” Gen Choti stated.

“Please be informed that we take every case seriously, especially those that involve foreigners… We searched Mr Patchara’s room and found a replica gun. Mr Patchara has been charged with breaking another person’s property, assault and deprivation of liberty.

“I would like to ask the press to present what we have done and what the truth is,” he said.

“This is about a man who made a mistake and he is paying the price. I would like to ask everyone to understand the situation and to understand that we have done our job. We do not want tourists to think that this is a normal thing for Thai people to do,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Police-defend-action-over-Russian-gun-threat-YouTube-video-21402.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-21

And the more fuss they make, the more hits and publicity it gets . . . what a bunch of complete and utter idiots.

Unfortunately, it IS a normal thing for (some) Thai's to do.

An unfaithful wife goes for a ride with another man. Her husband finds out and confronts his rival. This can happen (and it does happen) anywhere in the world, including Russia. As a matter of fact, a similar situation in Moscow, Sankt Petersburg or Vladivostok could have ended up much worse.

The scary lesson foreign tourists learn from this: do not sleep with someone else's spouse, even if you're in Thailand. Wow.

This is not about a Thai national and a Russian (or foreign) visitor. It's not a Phuket or Thailand issue. It's a story of two men and one unfaithful woman. What message will the Royal Police send if they give the worst possible hell to the husband: Thai man, beware, never confront the farangs who fool around with your wives?

Don't agree, most of the bar and gogo girls have a husband in the village and supporting him and the children, how are we suppose to know if she is married? They never wear a ring or something that state that she is married and if you ask her she will certainly deny it and say she's single.

In what country would you get by with taking another man's wife on an 'excursion' and not expect trouble?

How many Thai men pimp out their wives? It is not unusual here or in most other countries.

Well, looks like the kid was expecting some trouble of some kind, so play with fire, expect to get burnt, and he did. Some would not show as much restraint as the alleged attacker. Many would not be brandishing a toy gun. Life is cheap everywhere now, its not just a Thai thing is it. The boy got out of it with his shirt on, and is alive to tell the tale. Should have copped the 10,000 baht and be happy.....go holiday in Pattaya with it, and try the same thing again. See if it works twice. So many women in this country, try find a single one, or at least one who says that she's single.

Well, looks like the kid was expecting some trouble of some kind, so play with fire, expect to get burnt, and he did. Some would not show as much restraint as the alleged attacker. Many would not be brandishing a toy gun. Life is cheap everywhere now, its not just a Thai thing is it. The boy got out of it with his shirt on, and is alive to tell the tale. Should have copped the 10,000 baht and be happy.....go holiday in Pattaya with it, and try the same thing again. See if it works twice. So many women in this country, try find a single one, or at least one who says that she's single.

Jack as a polite suggestion, you might want to read the original article. This will explain that she DID say she was single, she DID stay with him for a period of time (not a single night go-go bang) and also that she lived in the same building as he did. He even went with her and some of her friends on a trip to Khao Lak..

The only way he could have POSIBBLY found out was to be doing the deed at her house and the "brother" walked in, or have her refuse him to go to her room and he become suspicious.. but Thai women in this situation would probably just send the "brother" to the family home to help out or something..

The Russian guy had done exactly what I would have done if I was looking for some fun, and possibly even a relationship with someone new.

Amazing Thailand. Police want to investigate if the video released was for ill intentions.

One of the many reasons I cannot release bamboo abuse videos from my schools. Face is far more important than the truth!

Commander was saying "the video has caused dammage" to the image of Thailand

Aint that a BIG joke ? Sooooooo mannnyyyyyyyyy other things causes EVERY DAY damage to that "image", many times caused by the inefficiency of all those poo yais and of course the worst thing the "loosing face" shit. Even when it are the Thais who cause all this bad behaviour! They simply need a victim : the Farang

There are a few points about this video that i do not get:-

1, How come the web cam was perfectly placed towards the door before the Thai guy arrives? Surely if you had a web cam on while sat at your computer it would be facing the user of the computer, wouldnt it?

2, How do we know the gun is fake?

3. The Thai guy doesnt really seem that outraged.

4, Why doesnt the Russian seem to lock the door and chain it when the Thai guy leaves ?

I t all looks a bit contrived to me. Dont know what motive there may be for doing that though. Just saying like.

First off, assault with a deadly weapon, a gun, is not different if the gun is a replica. A replica looks as authentic as the real thing.

This IS an assault.

It would be interesting to learn of the relationship of the criminal with the gun and the local police chief.

These "little guys" just want to feel, well, "bigger".

There are a few points about this video that i do not get:-

1,  How come the web cam was perfectly placed towards the door before the Thai guy arrives?  Surely if you had a web cam on while sat at your computer it would be facing the user of the computer, wouldnt it?

2, How do we know the gun is fake?

3. The Thai guy doesnt really seem that  outraged.

4, Why doesnt the Russian seem to lock the door and chain it when the Thai guy leaves ?

I t all looks a bit contrived to me. Dont know what motive there may be for doing that though. Just saying like.

Jesus Christ, please read the thread, it's been covered in many many posts.

Reading the comments here is like watching Rashoman. Everyone has his/her own point of view, and nearly every one could be valid. Of course, it is impossible that they all ARE. And there's no sense in thinking that if we were standing there when it all happened that we would automatically be correct, since we'll nover know what was in each of the parties' minds. For example, even after reading the whole story, we don't really know whether the assailant was even married to the Thai girl. According to the police, the Thai man referred to the Thai girl both as his girlfriend AND as his wife. We don't know whether the assailant knew about the tryst before it happened, or if it even was his idea. I personally know several thai men who demand that their wives prostitute themselves to support the Thai man's drinking and gambling. Heck, I even listened to one Thai old woman who was screaming at her teenage grandaughter that she should get her butt back to Pattaya and do a better job of prostitution because she was sending home too little money. The old woman said the granddaughter could get paid more if she'd just lose a little more weight! (Oh, and by the way, she also berated her daughter for being a prostitute at the same time!).

We don't know what the Thai girl in this particular drama REALLY told the Russion guy, or why. I once dated a Thai woman who introduced me to her "uncle" and a neighbor's boy. It turned out that the uncle was actually her husband and the boy was her son. After a while, the uncle started insisting that I marry this girl and have a big party. The point is that I can tell you from experience that some Thais look at marital fidelity in a different way than westerners.

We don't know if the gun was real or fake. And neither do the police. (Thank goodness we haven't had a discussion about whether the gun was loaded, and if so, with what. Such a discussion would be as much speculation and as relevant as the conjectures about whether the gun was real. That detail only reads on the concept of intention, and there is NO WAY that any of us could be sure of anyon'e intention in this mess.)

So all we can say is that a Thia guy drew what looked to be a pistol from his belt, slapped and kicked an unarmed Russian guy, and left. Was that a crime, regardless of all the speculation as to the events surrounding this story? Absolutely. Would it be OK if the Thai guy was angry? Nope. How about if he was really, really angry? Nope. How about if he was really, really angry because the Russian had killed his dog? STILL no. You just can't do that kind of thing. Even if the Russian had consensual sex with his wife - and we don't know that there was sex, nor do we know that the girl was his wife. You just can't do that sort of thing.

Shouldn't the policeman know this?

OK, here's another one: Who's job is it to decide whether the incident was legal or not? Hint: ... the court. Who's job is it to decide who the gulty party or parties are? Another hint: ... the court. So why in the heck is the policeman making statements about the reasonableness of anyon'e actions here? And without at least as much information as the court will receive - that is to say without the opportunity to at least hear BOTH sides of the story - we can't expect ourselves to know the truth either.

Enough already.

• Like 1

Don't agree, most of the bar and gogo girls have a husband in the village and supporting him and the children, how are we suppose to know if she is married? They never wear a ring or something that state that she is married and if you ask her she will certainly deny it and say she's single.

then you date them or sleep with them at your risk... you seem to agree that most girls have husbands in the village (I am not so sure about that as most have been dumped by their men and are supporting their kids and/or parents), then why do you risk touching them ? paying them for sex when we pick them up from a bar (and saying we were not told they had husbands) does not clear us of any responsibility towards our actions... a bar or go go girl is in a commercial establishment - the 'relationship' or transaction is clearly defined by money... the russian's case is not about a bar or go go girl is it ? he went out with a girl that lived in his building... maybe he was thinking he does not want to support human trafficking and the sex trade and frequent bars or gogo joints...maybe he wanted a girl who was not in the 'sex for money' business... just that she mislead him over her relationship status... in the case of a bar there is a middleman or pimp (bar owner) that will support and protect you... dating a married woman in your building who has a gun toting husband - you're on your own...:-)