Broken furniture at rented furnished house

We just started our second year renting at the same house. It came with a bed that was already old and not in great condition. Today it broke. Generally speaking, if we bought a new one (that we would bring with us when we moved), would this be acceptable with our landlord? Do we still have to pay for a replacement bed too? Is this cost incurred by the landlord? Any adivce on how to proceed as we email our landlord (she lives elsewhere)?

Do you have a lease agreement? This sort of thing is normally covered in that. My lease says that any repairs under 1,000 THB are the responsibility of the tenant, implying minor breakages or replacement light bulbs etc. Furniture is covered by a fair wear and tear clause.

I'm sure your landlord will be reasonable - what nationality is he/she?

Edited by Gsxrnz

ah those pesky landlords...first house, 2-3 trees in the garden died of roth .... gave them normal water everyday, but you know how it is with plants and trees in this country

she charged us 6000 baht per dead tree... blaming us.... she would not return security deposit otherwise

6000 baht for a tree... can u imagine

• Like 1

depends on the rent charged

I would think that if you rent a furnished place then Lessor should fix or replace it

new bed - 30% reduce the value when first used

20% reduce the value per year after that

normal wear and tear

Some Landlords charge for everything even if its not your fault.

All our resident's are invited to sign a lease on occupying our houses. It covers the cost, date of occupation of the house, rent, electric charge and meter reading at begining, other free services such as sat tv, wifi internet etc and a full inventory of the contents. The only expense we expect occupants to pay is for the replacement of light bulbs and batteries for remote controls. The rest is down to us, unless we agree with the resident that any breakages were down to their negligence, ie broken glasses/plates, or missing items. My recommendation is; talk to your Landlord and site us as a case example of what other Landlords do in their rental agreements, most are reasonable and will come to an amicable agreement with you I am sure. If not, find somewhere else to rent.wai.gif

• Like 1

Some times talking to a landlord is like talking to a wall. I rented a single home, when the water pump went our I called, she said that is your expense, I then knew I had a problem. Fortunately I had a used wanter pump at home and replaced it. Nest the water heater in the bedroom went out, I called her "that is your expense". One month later with cold showers and not paying rent, but using last month deposit (only first and last) I moved out, she had to replace the water heater and the property sat vacant for over 6 months, Thai's shoot themselves in the foot so often. This one is still dancing.

• Like 1

ah those pesky landlords...first house, 2-3 trees in the garden died of roth .... gave them normal water everyday, but you know how it is with plants and trees in this country

she charged us 6000 baht per dead tree... blaming us.... she would not return security deposit otherwise

This is why it makes sense to get a good real estate agent with a contract in English and some weight as a registered company that will make the owner see sense if they do try any nonsense. NOT a freelancer or god forbid walking into a condo building and asking for a condo.

Never understand peoples aversion to using a company, commission is paid by the owners and not the renter so the cost is the same but the protection is there.

This is why it makes sense to get a good real estate agent with a contract in English and some weight as a registered company that will make the owner see sense if they do try any nonsense. NOT a freelancer or god forbid walking into a condo building and asking for a condo.

Never understand peoples aversion to using a company, commission is paid by the owners and not the renter so the cost is the same but the protection is there.

Best advice is to talk to the landlord in the first instance. Given the history that the OP alluded to, he may be quite surprised at how ameniable the landlord is.

There's good and bad landlords. There's good and bad tenants also.

Gerry