Where can I do a visa conversion? Khon Kaen?

I understand to get a Non-O marriage visa I have to visit immigration to convert my tourist visa to a 3 month Non-O.

My question is: can rural immigration offices (like Khon Kaen) do a visa conversion or do I have to go to Bangkok?

Thanks.

Most likely they will send you to Bangkok. to do the conversion. You need to have at lest 15 days left on your current permission to stay. The visa will be for 90 days. During the lasr 30 days you apply for the 1 year extension at Khon Kaen if that is the office responsible for the area where you live.

Hahaha, I love that expression you do and call Khon Kaen for "rural",Are you aware that Khon Kaen is a rather big city??? Easiest the biggest city up in Isaan????

Anyhow besides that. I think DEFINETIVELY that you should go there at first and talk to them. As long as your aim is to get an extension of stay in the end they will most probably help you out there.

My own friend, an american guy, went there with only his entry-VISA (30 days VISA) they extended this one for a month first time, he went back again they extended that VISA for 2 months (or three?) and told him that he was welcome back after that and they would give him a non O plus an extension based on marriage..... And this was Khon Kaen and all was fullfilled as promised by them..... Khon Kaen is now according to me a extremely effective immigration-office with very nice people working there..... I have really nothing bad to say at all about that office.

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

The fact is many offices will defer to Bangkok for extension conversions other than retirement - but yes he needs to ask that office first as some of the larger offices will do.

As for your "American friend story" suspect it is dated or a misunderstanding as there is no provision for 30 day extensions on a 30 day visa exempt entry. There is a 60 day extension to visit wife available which is more likely what was provided - but that is one time only on an entry.

The fact is many offices will defer to Bangkok for extension conversions other than retirement - but yes he needs to ask that office first as some of the larger offices will do.

As for your "American friend story" suspect it is dated or a misunderstanding as there is no provision for 30 day extensions on a 30 day visa exempt entry. There is a 60 day extension to visit wife available which is more likely what was provided - but that is one time only on an entry.

Lopburi3 with all respect of course, "my friend" is a close friend of mine since 2009. I saw his passport and I was informed about every trip he made from Chaiyaphum to Khon Kaen and how his matter progressed.

According to law or not according to law, this was just the way they helped him out at Khon Kaen Immigration. Anyhow the important thing is that Khon Kaen maybe is a good place to start for the threadstarter. They are really helpful there, at least that is what I have found during the years since they opened up...

Glegolo

From KK a trip to Vientiane for a single entry non-o would be better than going to Bangkok. No need for showing financials and all the other documents twice.

Just leave KK early morning cross bridge, put in your application, spend the night, pick up passport in afternoon and head back home. Then get your extension during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

Hahaha, I love that expression you do and call Khon Kaen for "rural",Are you aware that Khon Kaen is a rather big city??? Easiest the biggest city up in Isaan????

Anyhow besides that. I think DEFINETIVELY that you should go there at first and talk to them. As long as your aim is to get an extension of stay in the end they will most probably help you out there.

My own friend, an american guy, went there with only his entry-VISA (30 days VISA) they extended this one for a month first time, he went back again they extended that VISA for 2 months (or three?) and told him that he was welcome back after that and they would give him a non O plus an extension based on marriage..... And this was Khon Kaen and all was fullfilled as promised by them..... Khon Kaen is now according to me a extremely effective immigration-office with very nice people working there..... I have really nothing bad to say at all about that office.

Glegolo

I suspect that the first 30 days was an under consideration stamp (not an extension) while they processed his visa application which is what some offices do. Then when he went back after those 30 days they put in the visa stamp with an entry equal to the date he applied for the visa which gave him the remaining 60 days of the 90 day visa entry (again not an extension). He was then told to come back near the end of his permit to stay from the visa and do his application for the one year extension.

As I said in my previous post it would be easier to get a visa in Vientiane rather than going through all this.

Edited by ubonjoe

Glegolo

I suspect that the first 30 days was an under consideration stamp (not an extension) while they processed his visa application which is what some offices do. Then when he went back after those 30 days they put in the visa stamp with an entry equal to the date he applied for the visa which gave him the remaining 60 days of the 90 day visa entry (again not an extension). He was then told to come back near the end of his permit to stay from the visa and do his application for the one year extension.

As I said in my previous post it would be easier to get a visa in Vientiane rather than going through all this.

Exactamente Ubonjoe, you hit the head of the nail there.... he is now living with an extension of stay based on marriage, which was the plan from the early beginning, and with the nice help of Khon Kaen immigration, they made it work for my friend...

Thank

Glegolo

Glegolo

Exactamente Ubonjoe, you hit the head of the nail there.... he is now living with an extension of stay based on marriage, which was the plan from the early beginning, and with the nice help of Khon Kaen immigration, they made it work for my friend...

Thank

Glegolo

Yes You can.