• 3 months later...

I've just put together my bin and just need to raise it. Our yard is a typical small BKK "yard" mostly tile and stones so no grass or clippings. We get daily leaves and flowers dropping from trees in the yard and that's what I've started with. I added 2 packages of what looked to me like black earthworms from the fishing tackle store round the corner, which included dirt with lots of worm tailings. Each pack contained maybe 10 worms. I'm using a 66 liter Plim brand white plastic garbage can with a lid from Home Pro. The leaves we have are rather rigid so I imagine they will be difficult to break down. I add a small amount of water every so often to replace what escapes when I leave the lid off.

My plan is to get in there and stir things adding small amounts of dirt from time to time as we don't cook much.

We'll see how this works out!

I was looking for a compost bin in Ubon the other day and the best I could find was a large plastic 115 litre waste bin which had a locking lid and also a smaller 6 inch lockable lid that would be perfect to dump waste in. It was only 499 baht. I was going to buy it and drill holes in the bottom.

Unfortunately they only had one in stock and it was broken! They said they will get more in stock within the next 2 weeks.

That sounds like it might work. I would think you'd need to make some access at the bottom so you could remove compost from the bottom rather than the top.

Are these the blue bins with black lid.I drilled holes in the bottom and also put a steel bar through it so you can spin it to get compost out.Also spin to aerate once a week.