Chiang Rai: Hidden Gem of Thailand?

pomchop

I love the look of the mountains here.

They are like large foot hills where I grew up, but covered in tropical vegetation that looks like green feathers from the highway.

As we drive north of Chiang Rai I smile and take it all in.

That make's my wife very proud of the landscape that she some times takes for granted.

The first time I brought my wife "across the pond" and she seen the Rocky Mountain's, she cried.

At that moment I was touched and so proud. It was like seeing them again for the first time, but through her eyes.

Mountains can be awe inspiring regardless of size. Just love the beauty.

That being said.........I relate to harrry's comment. whistling.gif

You bring back memories. Like the first time my wife saw and played with snow in Yosemite or saw a bear up in Glacier National Park. I’m not sure but I think the Grand Canyon made the biggest impression on her. Seeing things through her eyes was magical.smile.png
The landscape here is different but beautiful in its own right. Nothing like sharing it with someone you love.wub.png
  • Like 1

They are like large foot hills where I grew up, but covered in tropical vegetation that looks like green feathers from the highway.

That make's my wife very proud of the landscape that she some times takes for granted.

The first time I brought my wife "across the pond" and she seen the Rocky Mountain's, she cried.

At that moment I was touched and so proud. It was like seeing them again for the first time, but through her eyes.

You bring back memories. Like the first time my wife saw and played with snow in Yosemite or saw a bear up in Glacier National Park. I’m not sure but I think the Grand Canyon made the biggest impression on her. Seeing things through her eyes was magical.smile.png
The landscape here is different but beautiful in its own right. Nothing like sharing it with someone you love.wub.png

So you are going to take Cookie on your rides nowwai.gif

• Like 1

My wife is a massive fan of Scotland and it just totally blows her mind when she talks to English people who have never bothered to look at whats on their own doorstep (Btw, I'm not Scottish!), then again their experience of Thailand is often Phuket...

• Like 1

I haven't visited CR in 10-12 years or so. The OPs post brought back some good memories and I will see what the years have brought when I relocate to LOS in August.

10-12 years? The traffic will be a bit of a shock to you, that's for sure. I remember that 10 years ago, people would say that Chiang Rai was like Chiang Mai used to be before it got so busy down there. Well,.....

• 8 months later...

Last October, I visited Chiang Rai for the first time.

(A friend got a job at an elementary school there

so I went to visit him.) I stayed 4 days- I was supposed

to stay 6. I didn't like it. I didn't find the people at

all friendly and I guess I am too accustomed to

the non-stop "action" of Bangkok. As a "farang"

walking about, I was solicited for every little

"Massage Parlor" - that invariably was staffed

by middle-aged and above employees. Of course,

only "Traditional Thai Massages" were

available.

Granted, outside of town is a quiet, pleasant,

rural setting if you're already "attached" and

just want to settle-in with her.

I am sad you had this experience in Chiang Rai, I personally feel the opposite .When I first went there 3 years ago , I felt like a local in the markets and did not feel the locals were trying to squeeze every baht of me . Been back 4 times now and because of family reason will be moving up there. I am really excited to find somewhere and beautiful , kind local people . The farangs are that bad either!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

available.

The line "of course only traditional Thai massages were available" pretty much gave you away old sport smile.png Sexpats like yourself are always better off in the cesspools of Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket! As for Chiang Rai, it is indeed a hidden gem and the OP did a great job in his post thumbsup.gif I for one hope that it does not get "discovered" the way Chiang Mai has been discovered over the past 20 years, that way Chiang Rai will continue to have all those great qualities pointed out in the OP wai2.gif

clap2.gif

Edited by kevvy

I am glad that you didn't say that in the Chiang Rai Immigration Office if you take more than 10 minutes doing the 90 days report, the officers will apologize to you, and next time they will come Central Plaza for you do not have that "aggravation" again...Please do not do that...Too many foreigners will move here...and we will have to spend 15 minutes! No way!!!

Ohhhhhh...I forgot. They do not go to Central Plaza anymore.....Now...Immigration have 2 offices serving Chiang Rai......They opened the new one just 5 minutes from my house....I didn't ask for that...but...I think they love to see me more often, just to chat and practice my Thai with them....If you can, please do that. Poor people.....they do not have nothing to do all day!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a 'hidden gem'....Thanks to the OP....Wanted to go somewhere to escape Pattaya for sonkran, 13th to 20th...After reading this I'm going to CR. I guess it's a lot tamer than Pattaya for sonkran?? Will get a car at the airport and drive around for a week....Any recomendations of where to go from the ex-pat locals would be greatly appriciated...Thanks...

Plenty to see up here in a week ginglee, you still need to be careful around Songkran though, water throwing aside, drunk driving is also part of the festivities.

The river (Chiang Saen, Golden Triangle, Chiang Khong) and the mountains (Doi Mae Salong) and a trip into Myanmar (Tachilek) are probably the highlights.

Perhaps, Chiang Rai is much better off with less people like you settling in. Pattaya is probably the more appropriate place for you?

available.

• Like 1

Read the OP again. He did mention the smoke and the heat... whistling.gif

OP forgot to mention the smoke, which makes Chiang Rai and most of the north very undesirable for a few months each year.

Substitute 'highlight' for 'mention' (and apologies in advance for my initial poor choice of word smile.png