How do you live with permanent depression (obesity)

armedian

Check you temp each morning before getting out of bed, get an old fashioned thermometer shake it down the night before, place under your arm for 10 min. record temp for 10 days, is it hard to get up in the morning, are you tired in the afternoon. You could have a low functioning thyroid. Have a thyroid test preformed but be careful of the reading the range on thyroid is huge and you could be in a low normal range but this would be too low for best health. Do a bit of research o0n this as there is plenty of info on it, low thyroid can make it very difficult to lose weight.

That is true, have had low thyroid for ages but even with taking the medicine its still not that much easier. But the medicine did magic for my energy levels at night.

My score for thyroid test was .81 which is in the low range and maybe not optimal but maybe a factor that contributes to not putting on weight as easily as someone with a higher score?

Actually I don't know what thyroid you tested as there are levels you can test. But the thing is low thyroid makes you put on weight easy, high keeps it off easy.

But now that I am Thyroid medicine 100mcg levotoxine i only feel more energetic but weight wise I fail to see a change.

T3

Free t3

T4

Free T4

TSH

My test only did the TSH which was .81

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost almost 70kgs 3 years ago and have kept it off. Your weight will always vary if you are prone to weight gain. One of my friends gave me some advice, he said to weigh myself frequently and set myself an alarm weight. So, in my case, if I ever get above 95kgs again it is time to hit the gym and the diet hard and get back down to 85ish.

I never really stop excercising now and I always try to eat reasonably healthy, just avoiding useless carbs like white rice / bread and pasta is enough. Even still, when I am not focused on the diet I tend to drink more and eat things a shouldn't. It's a constant battle that will never be over but you can never give up, being and looking healthy just feels too good!

To be honest I think its like this for most people who want to keep weight off. I exercise a lot and keep track of my food if i would not i would get heavier too. I don't know a single person who is 100% lean who does not watch his or her food (if over 30).

Rob, it's the same for the people who are only 80% or so lean too, mate.tongue.png

What I am saying is that for most people it takes an effort to stay on a weight, always something has to be done.

Watching your food or exercising, i think there are not many that can eat all they want and still stay lean. Many people seem to think that thin people don't put in an effort. But from experience that is not true, they do mind their food too and they do exercise. Usually less of course as those who want to loose weight as that is harder. But I think for all its still not easy to stay on a weight.

Just to counter the general mood here that it is effortless.

I agree. I can put on weight very easily, and indeed I do get asked how do I manage to keep the weight off. Easy answer is be careful what you eat and remember to exercise, and as you said, it is not something that happens without effort.

Check you temp each morning before getting out of bed, get an old fashioned thermometer shake it down the night before, place under your arm for 10 min. record temp for 10 days, is it hard to get up in the morning, are you tired in the afternoon. You could have a low functioning thyroid. Have a thyroid test preformed but be careful of the reading the range on thyroid is huge and you could be in a low normal range but this would be too low for best health. Do a bit of research o0n this as there is plenty of info on it, low thyroid can make it very difficult to lose weight.

That is true, have had low thyroid for ages but even with taking the medicine its still not that much easier. But the medicine did magic for my energy levels at night.

My score for thyroid test was .81 which is in the low range and maybe not optimal but maybe a factor that contributes to not putting on weight as easily as someone with a higher score?

Actually I don't know what thyroid you tested as there are levels you can test. But the thing is low thyroid makes you put on weight easy, high keeps it off easy.

But now that I am Thyroid medicine 100mcg levotoxine i only feel more energetic but weight wise I fail to see a change.

T3

Free t3

T4

Free T4

TSH

Here is an alternative take on thyroid issues.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3139/13-Ways-to-Treat-Hypothyroidism-Naturally.html

@tolly

Strange that they did not say eat kelp because that has iodine i believe and helps too (not with people who eat a lot of salt and processed food already). I am doing a two pronged attack the medicine and stuff that I think helps. But I must say ever since taking a (low dose) of the medicine I feel more energetic. For the weight loss I have not noticed anything different.

Got the healthy fats covered, the gut with my kefir and I am sure i get enough proteins. Anyway I am happy that I lost the fatigue.

But you said low and normally if thyroid hormone is low you got a problem but they tested TSH in your case and if that is low it means the opposite so you probably got a fat acting thyroid.

@tolly

Strange that they did not say eat kelp because that has iodine i believe and helps too (not with people who eat a lot of salt and processed food already). I am doing a two pronged attack the medicine and stuff that I think helps. But I must say ever since taking a (low dose) of the medicine I feel more energetic. For the weight loss I have not noticed anything different.

Got the healthy fats covered, the gut with my kefir and I am sure i get enough proteins. Anyway I am happy that I lost the fatigue.

But you said low and normally if thyroid hormone is low you got a problem but they tested TSH in your case and if that is low it means the opposite so you probably got a fat acting thyroid.

No if i read the tsh correctly it is a high reading like 5 that leads to being overweight.

@tolly

No if i read the tsh correctly it is a high reading like 5 that leads to being overweight.

I mean and i wrote it wrong is that a low tsh indicates fast thyroid while low other thyroid hormones mean slow thyroid. Meaning that just this one reading it is reversed all others low means slow thyroid only in TSH it does not.

TSH is the hormone that signals for more t4 and that converts into t3

If its high it might indicate that it is signaling a lot for more t4 but its not happening thus slow thyroid (one of the many explanations.)

A TSH of 0.81 is within normal range.

An elevated (high) TSH is indicative of hypo(low) thyroidism which can contribute to weight gain.

While most overweight people don't have thyrois problems it is important to rule it out since if present it is easily treated and will make weight loss easier.

• 2 weeks later...

message to the OP and anyone else who is interested

starting yesterday I have decided to loose a few pounds as the old weight has been creeping up a bit recently. diet since arriving back has not been gr8 and its time to get back to normal

i weighed in yesterday at 87.5kgs and target 74kgs by xmas. I`m into cycling and its a struggle in the wet season but i want to be fit for the dry season for the local bike races.

to do this you need to use

(commercial url link deleted by moderator - PM poster if interested)

i`m not trying to promote this sight.. i just use it and it works for me. the site in itself is not enough. you have to really want to loose it. but the sight helps you focus by turning the whole thing into a project.

i`m signing up for 3 months for £27. so basically its peanuts. you can use it for 24hrs free so just give it a go. its straight to the point and fad free.

you will need a set of kitchen scales as well. the wife picked me a 1kg kitchen scale set on the market for 270baht.

any questions welcome

Edited by Sheryl