Advice Re Best Visa Type For Celta Student

I have a CELTA (English teacher training course) in Bangkok starting in July for one month. I'm coming 4 weeks earlier to give myself some holiday/study time. I want to teach afterwards, maybe start a small business there. Was in Thailand back in 2000 and 2002 for a few weeks at a time. What would people advise is the best visa to apply for in the circumstances? I'm English, 53, well educated (grad.) and would like the least hassle re. visa renewal (I know i've got a lot to learn in this respect). I just sold my property in UK and will be very mobile shortly. Any help gratefully received. TIA.

Try posting in the visa section - they have very good advice there.

Maybe just get a tourist visa for dtarters then when you have a kob you can go to Penang or Laos to get the appropriate one.

You might get a business visa for a year in your country - phone the Thai consulate and ask them. Good luck!

Maybe just get a tourist visa for dtarters then when you have a kob you can go to Penang or Laos to get the appropriate one.

You might get a business visa for a year in your country - phone the Thai consulate and ask them. Good luck!

Thank you Neeranam.

I did post also in the visa forum, just to cover both aspects.

Appreciate your feedback.

michael

Thank you Neeranam.

michael

Neeranam's advice is reasonable. I took the Celta last July and just came in on a 30 day stamp at the airport. I returned to the US right after the course finished. It's not necessary to have any kind of visa to do the course. Be ready for some torture matey :o .

Thank you Neeranam.

michael

Neeranam's advice is reasonable. I took the Celta last July and just came in on a 30 day stamp at the airport. I returned to the US right after the course finished. It's not necessary to have any kind of visa to do the course. Be ready for some torture matey :D .

Thanks mbkudu

But I'm hoping to stay and teach without having to come back to the UK. If i can't get a teaching job fairly quickly i want to set up a small business there. I kinda like the place. Um ... should i sit down while you tell me about the 'torture'? :o

michael

Some TEFL courses in Thailand advertise that they can help with your visa (some surely do help). Have you asked the CELTA course providers in BKK?

I hadn't thought of asking the course provider, Blondie. Because the course is only for 4 weeks and it's my hope to stay around. But i guess it may be worth a try.

Thanks for your input.

michael

Actually as you're over 50 you should easily be able to get a retirement Visa....but then just use it as a Non-imm O so you can obtain a WP on it. This will give you the same amount of cover as a multi Non-imm B (if they won't help you).

PM me and I'll point you in the right direction mate!!!