Ecuador 'analysing' Snowden asylum request: FM

webfact

Ecuador 'analysing' Snowden asylum request: FM

HANOI, June 24, 2013 (AFP) - Ecuador's foreign minister said Monday his country was "analysing" a request for asylum by fugitive US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden who is currently in Moscow.

"We will make a decision... we are analysing it," Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino told reporters in Hanoi of the request by Snowden who is on the run from US authorities over his explosive leaks on American intelligence methods.

"It (the request) has to do with freedom of expression and the security of citizens around the world. We always act by principle not in our own interest. There are some governments who act more on their own interests, we do not," he added.

Snowden, a former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor, arrived in Russia on Sunday from Hong Kong, hoping to win asylum in Ecuador and evade arrest after leaking sensational details of secret US surveillance programmes.

He was expected to head to Ecuador via Cuba and AFP correspondents at Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport saw an Ecuadoran flagged diplomatic car at VIP arrivals.

"We know he is in Moscow, we're in talks with higher authorities," Patino, who is on an official visit to communist Vietnam, said.

The South American country, led by outspoken leftist President Rafael Correa, has been sheltering WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who is wanted by Sweden, at its London embassy for the past year.

US authorities have been severely embarrassed by Snowden's revelations of intelligence trawling by the NSA of phone call logs and Internet data, prompting concern from governments around the world and outrage from privacy campaigners.

Snowden made the revelations from Hong Kong which allowed him to travel to Moscow, prompting criticism from US authorities have laid charges including of theft and espionage against the whistleblower.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-06-24

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will have to make an effort to keep out of Canadian and USA airspace.

attachicon.gifgreat-circle-map-moscow-cuba.png

Chicago Convention of 1944 - Transit rights, First Freedom.....Also known as the IASTA (International Air Services Transit Agreement).

There would be repercussions for breaking that agreement, such as US carriers may not be allowed to overfly certain countries.

EDIT - That's why I had a quiet chuckle a couple of years ago when a certain absent former prime minister overflew Thailand and some local people wondered why the plane was not forced to land here.....

Edited by airconsult

RT @AP: BREAKING: Aeroflot says flight for which Snowden registered has departed, but he is not seen on plane.

RT @RAGreeneCNN: Plane is taking off from Moscow to Havana -- CNN is on the plane but there are conflicting reports about whether Edward Snowden is

He's probably sitting on the beach in Pattaya enjoying a beer.

And a few years down the road he'll be bragging about having been Special Forces and CIA ....

You might want to read his profile on Wikipedia......he Did, at one time, work for the CIA. Of course, they got janitors and window wipers there as well.

Russia defiant as U.S. raises pressure over Snowden

Ecuadorean Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino, on a trip to Vietnam, said Quito would analyze his asylum request with a "lot of responsibility". He was expected to hold a news conference around 7 p.m. (1200 GMT) in Hanoi.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-warns-countries-against-snowden-travel-014740817.html

Edited by JDGRUEN

If his USA passport has been revoke as American media claim, how would he be able to travel so freely?

Here is how:

Snowden’s ability to board an Aeroflot flight Sunday to Moscow, despite the revocation of his passport and the warrant for his arrest, was one more move in a series of artful legal and diplomatic maneuvers that have involved China, the Kremlin, WikiLeaks and the Ecuadoran government and kept the 30-year-old outside the grasp of the normally long arm of U.S. justice.

The Obama administration and politicians on Capitol Hill are likely to be infuriated if Snowden makes it to Ecuador, where he has requested asylum. But the former contractor who had worked at an NSA facility in Hawaii until he fled to Hong Kong skillfully placed his fate in the hands of WikiLeaks and countries that nurse animosities toward the United States. And Snowden’s odyssey is likely to exacerbate the United States’ strained relations with China and Russia

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/legal-political-maneuvering-let-snowden-flee/2013/06/23/5643e0b6-dc36-11e2-bd83-e99e43c336ed_story.html

I wasn't sure before, but NOW I kind of think Snowden is a ... traitor.

Not so much for the leaks. For what he is doing now. Understandable from a personal self interest point of view but he has made himself a public figure. He is allowing himself to be used as a anti-American propaganda tool by unfriendly countries. Doesn't that fit the definition of traitor?

Edited by Jingthing

I don't care if he's travelling legally or not. I don't approve that he is allowing himself to be used as an anti-American propaganda tool. I think he might be somewhat mentally unbalanced but I reckon he is well aware he is now being used this way. I think it stinks and if not a traitor he's certainly more SELFISH than HEROIC. If I ever see him in Ecuador, I'll tell him! I think this is relevant because he's trying to sell himself as a big hero. The running away move makes that ploy much less credible. If he believes in what he did, stand up for it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Argeed. It is becoming more and more obvious that he is a hypocrite ands atraitor.

Yes and you don't need to be a right wing American to think that.

I just saw a clip of Secretary of State Kerry openly saying Snowden has BETRAYED his country.

Ecuador ain't bad though, I think too good for Snowden.

I don't care if he's travelling legally or not. I don't approve that he is allowing himself to be used as an anti-American propaganda tool. I think he might be somewhat mentally unbalanced but I reckon he is well aware he is now being used this way. I think it stinks and if not a traitor he's certainly more SELFISH than HEROIC. If I ever see him in Ecuador, I'll tell him! I think this is relevant because he's trying to sell himself as a big hero. The running away move makes that ploy much less credible. If he believes in what he did, stand up for it.

he only wanted to get out with his person and the people to focus on the shortcomings. He never claimed to be a hero or something like that.

Others lift him up to that point I guess.

He'd rather fight the case in court if a fair trial could be granted and not the Manning style.

• Like 2

If his USA passport has been revoke as American media claim, how would he be able to travel so freely?

Here is how:

Snowden’s ability to board an Aeroflot flight Sunday to Moscow, despite the revocation of his passport and the warrant for his arrest, was one more move in a series of artful legal and diplomatic maneuvers that have involved China, the Kremlin, WikiLeaks and the Ecuadoran government and kept the 30-year-old outside the grasp of the normally long arm of U.S. justice.

The Obama administration and politicians on Capitol Hill are likely to be infuriated if Snowden makes it to Ecuador, where he has requested asylum. But the former contractor who had worked at an NSA facility in Hawaii until he fled to Hong Kong skillfully placed his fate in the hands of WikiLeaks and countries that nurse animosities toward the United States. And Snowden’s odyssey is likely to exacerbate the United States’ strained relations with China and Russia

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/legal-political-maneuvering-let-snowden-flee/2013/06/23/5643e0b6-dc36-11e2-bd83-e99e43c336ed_story.html

Not so much for the leaks. For what he is doing now. Understandable from a personal self interest point of view but he has made himself a public figure. He is allowing himself to be used as a anti-American propaganda tool by unfriendly countries. Doesn't that fit the definition of traitor?

No, it doesn't fit the definition of a traitor. If it did Jane Fonda would still be in jail for activities far more damaging to American lives.

... and lady gaga too laugh.png

Here is how:

he can travel as a honorary consul of any country if someone supplied him with this. It's not treason. Anyone can be honorary consul of any country, it's not against the law in the US or elsewhere.

Maybe we learn about that later.

A small country for example can only gain politically with Snowden. This way he can keep his American citizenship and travel on a diplomatic passport with immunity. What NSA/CIA and the British are doing is considered a Crime all over the world and not Snowden.

If it is as I think it could be, Snowden has a bright future.

It takes time for the real culprits to admit their shortcomings. By the way of deception doesn't work any longer. The world is waking up.

Haha, can you stick your head any deeper into the sand. Bright future. China took what he had and discarded him. Russia may be doing the same. A small country will only get severe backlashes, especially after he already helped the big countries like Russia and China. Can he travel as a honorary consult while with no passport and while a fugitive for espionage.

He'd rather fight the case in court if a fair trial could be granted and not the Manning style.

Horse manure. He is running from the law as he does not want to face justice for what he has done. Manning was on active duty in the military, so was in a much different category.

No, it doesn't fit the definition of a traitor. If it did Jane Fonda would still be in jail for activities far more damaging to American lives.

She is a traitor too. She just got away with it.

Well, they were so right in the last thread about China and Russian involvement and the extent of his forray into Russia.

Can you tell me where the guy standing in front of these tanks is now?

post-25601-0-31101000-1372077772_thumb.j

• Like 1