best air-con in thailand?

aussieinthailand

The 'guestimator' used for sizing aircons (in the BKK area at least) is about 600 BTU per m2 although last time I was A/C shopping HomePro wanted to use 700 sad.png

Your 9x4 room is 36m2 so you're looking at a pretty hefty 21,600 BTU unit.

With such a long room you would probably be better off with two 11,000 BTU units, you could run only one during the cool season. but that's likely going to be outside your budget.

Let's try this in DIY.

• Like 1

As Crossy notes, 36m2 isn't a small area to cool...

If the room is downstairs in a 2-story house, or is very well insulated you could maybe get away with 20,000 BTU - but I'd still recommend 25,000 BTU to be safe on really hot days.

if it's an upstairs room, or gets quite hot you'll need up to 30,000 BTU to cool it down though.

With the type of cooling capacity you need and budget specified, it's simply going to be a matter of finding the cheapest big unit you can. The top-end in these kinds of BTU ranges cost around 45,000-50,000 Baht.

You might want to check out the heavy duty air/con from Mitsubishi which are mounted in the ceiling. Of course you need enough room in the ceiling but it is a great unit for large rooms. I use them for my large rooms and one needs even 2 compressors (double unit, one on top of the other).

thumb_package.jpg

Do not think your budget will pay for what such a large space needs unless you can find a trusted service place to sell you second hand with some guarantee but better to buy new.

Or you can get a big curtain to be comfortable with a small one.

Do not have to buy top brand like Mitsubishi the Thai ones like Central are OK but the better brands last longer cheaper long run.

2 smaller ones is better than one only run both when it is very hot, do not die waiting for a repair man.

For sure to clean the grid every 2-3 months and full service every 6-8 months.

• Like 2

I have a 12,000 BTU unit.

For my bedroom in an upstairs apartment.

Does the job.

Sell for 14 or 15000 bahts in Phuket town stores, Samsung and LG. But more expensive in stores like Big C and Tesco.

I do not remember if installation was included, if not 1,500 bahts more.

Your room is the same size as my living room and we have an open plan kitchen too. We have a Daikin invertor 18,000 BTU and it works great. It cost 38,000 baht with free fitting and its cheap as chips to run. Our living room is at 26 degrees from 9AM till midnight everyday, plus we have the air con in the bedroom on from midnight till 9AM and the electric bill is 2,500 to 3,000 every month. If you are buying the AC for a long term use buy the invertor type. Yes they are more expensive to buy but you will get that back in 6 months. The house we lived in before had the same Daikin air conditioners but they werent invertor and our electric bills were sometimes 6 to 8K a month. Invertor AC's can save over 40% so they are worth it, and the one we have has a sensor so if you go out of the room or nip to the 7/11 they power down slightly and when you come back in they fire up again.

I took the dimensions of our living room to Home Pro and they told me I needed a 40,000 BTU to cool the room and they tried to sell me 2 x 20,000 BTU air cons. I looked on eBay for air conditioners and emailed an AC company and asked what size BTU i needed for my living room and they said 18,000 BTU. I have no idea where Home Pro get their figures from but they are way way off. They even have a chart where they sell the AC's with room sizes and what size BTU you need.

If your budget is 15 to 20k you will only be able to buy a cheap but expensive to run AC. 18,000 BTU is enough so dont let them sell you anything higher.

Whatever you get I would suggest:

1. Running costs are more important than initial costs - and a higher BTU will be more expensive in the long run.

2. A combination of ceiling/standard fans and air conditioner means you could probably do with lower power on the a/c and cheaper running costs if you can't afford more. This helps circulation - esp if placed at far end of room. I do it in my condo because I like moving air.

3. You can get away with lower BTUs if you only use your a/c at night like I do in my bedroom. I use ceiling fans and open doors/windows during the day - a great saving.

4. I highly recommend Mitsubishi a/c units or Daikin I've heard - they tend to be more expensive but certainly last a lot longer than some others, eg. Panasonic, which is crap.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

Whatever you get I would suggest:

1. Running costs are more important than initial costs - and a higher BTU will be more expensive in the long run.

2. A combination of ceiling/standard fans and air conditioner means you could probably do with lower power on the a/c and cheaper running costs if you can't afford more. This helps circulation - esp if placed at far end of room. I do it in my condo because I like moving air.

3. You can get away with lower BTUs if you only use your a/c at night like I do in my bedroom. I use ceiling fans and open doors/windows during the day - a great saving.

4. I highly recommend Mitsubishi a/c units or Daikin I've heard - they tend to be more expensive but certainly last a lot longer than some others, eg. Panasonic, which is crap.

Curculating the air is a good idea. I have 1 floor fan near my AC blowing towards me and also a pedastal fan on ocsilate and it works a treat.

I've been through most makes, Panasonic, Trane, Samsung, Daikin. Trane is the only one that hasn't died. All the others lasted anywhere between 3 and 6 years before breaking beyond repair. The Daikin was the last to die, and it wasn't much more than 3 years old. The tech took the plastic housing off and a metal area at one end was terribly corroded. I was quite shocked. The machine has had very light use and has been very well taken care of, with frequent servicing.

I've just had a Mitsu fitted. See how that goes. I was told that Mr Slim is better than Heavy Duty. Not sure if true but that is the one i went for. 18,000 BTU. Cost 30k. Works fine so far, but how long it lasts, who knows...

• Like 1

i would do what we done upstairs had the master bedroom and the ajoining one knocked into one and fitted a japanese folding door,and a 12,000btu daikin in the bedroom then the other part which is the upstairs front we had a balcony built with double doors that are left open 24/7.the wf.used to be a rep for aircon units so she knew if its too small or too big,it will either work toooo hard giving a short life or if its too big it will keep going on and off too frequent then you get big bills.we have a big house with a lot of windows and doors through the day we open some each side of the house to create a draft which does work most days.if you like to watch telle.in a large room then your best bet is to get some good fans hatari have some very good ones,ceiling fans waste of money unless u want them for deco.

Get one of the new 'inverter compressor' models, they use about 25% less electricity.

Samsung and LG both have 12,000btu models out for about 17kbht.

Inverters can only save on electricity costs when they're *not* running at 100% duty cycle - which a 12,000BTU unit would be doing almost perpetually to try and cool a 36m2 room wink.png

OP is much better off getting 2x 12000 BTU cheapies for his 20K Baht budget.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

My chum in UK who is an A/C fitter advised me to buy Daikin which he fits if it is left for his decision by the customer. He says hardly ever a call out with them. Mine is 7 years old now. They are very quiet and non of that clicking on and off, it is an inverter type.

• Like 1

Get one of the new 'inverter compressor' models, they use about 25% less electricity.

Samsung and LG both have 12,000btu models out for about 17kbht.

Inverters can only save on electricity costs when they're *not* running at 100% duty cycle - which a 12,000BTU unit would be doing almost perpetually to try and cool a 36m2 room wink.png

OP is much better off getting 2x 12000 BTU cheapies for his 20K Baht budget.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

One thing I could never understand, here in the US, I can buy a really good Japanese or Chinese window a/c unit, 12,000 btu - 15,0000 btu for about 300.00 bucks.. or about 9000 baht. Why are they so expensive in Thailand?

One thing I could never understand, here in the US, I can buy a really good Japanese or Chinese window a/c unit, 12,000 btu - 15,0000 btu for about 300.00 bucks.. or about 9000 baht. Why are they so expensive in Thailand?

you are talking about "window units" (outdated since World War II ended, outside wall required). haven't seen any of these units for sale in Thailand for more than a decade.

have you ever been to Thailand?

you are talking about "window units" (outdated since World War II ended, outside wall required). haven't seen any of these units for sale in Thailand for more than a decade.

I live in Khoksamrong, Lopburi, Thailand. Have been since 2006. I was just making an observation.. And no they are not outdated. You can buy them at any Home Depot, Lowes, Sears in the US.. Have you ever been to the US?

• Like 1

As said USA is home of 'cheap' - not that it is always bad but because market is based on price only the most inexpensive hit mass market sales - and the cheap to build single unit window version is popular because of the price (and only needed part of year - where needed full time central units are normally used - here, where homes are normally close together and can not easily accommodate central units and windows did not accommodate window units the split versions became the norm with most window units only used in short time motels (in wall rather than windows) where the noise might be an advantage.

What is needed for cooling will vary greatly - in our home we are comfortable at about 28 so have found a 9k back-up for the 18k recommended unit in our 26sm bedroom to be fully adequate 24 hours a day all year round. If we needed cooler than a larger unit would likely be required (but have not done any testing to see how low can get it as just do not want cold). But for a large area like 36sm believe two units might be best option as you also have a back-up if one fails.

I live in Khoksamrong, Lopburi, Thailand. Have been since 2006. I was just making an observation.. And no they are not outdated. You can buy them at any Home Depot, Lowes, Sears in the US.. Have you ever been to the US?

i lived 15 years (1989 till 2004) in the U.S. and know that these kind of units are nowadays installed only in shacks.

I believe what Commander Worf was trying to say is that Window style units are noisy, horribly inefficient and ugly, and are only still manufactured because they're cheap to make... You'll have a very hard time finding one for sale in Thailand where AC's are expected to work, properly, year 'round.

Thanks IMHO.. I guess Commander Worf isn't used to the Earthling speech yet. biggrin.png At the present moment, I'm living at a temple in Phoenix Arizona.. I live in a small monks hut behind the main temple.. Here, window units are essential.. we don't have the money for a proper home a/c unit and they would be to large for a 12 x 14 room, which is all we have. window a/c units are indespensable here as they are designed for 200-400 square foot areas. And the new ones are quiet with maybe just a hum. My room is approx. 190 square feet and I have a 12,000 btu unit in it which cost about 285 bucks.. It keeps it cool in here, Today is supposed to be 119 outside.. So far it stays about 83 in my room.. good enough for me. I'll be back in Lopburi in July. I was just hoping to find a rather cheap window unit for my monks hut there.. I guess that is out of the question. coffee1.gif

I have a 12,000 btu unit in it which cost about 285 bucks.. It keeps it cool in here, Today is supposed to be 119 outside.. So far it stays about 83 in my room.. good enough for me. I'll be back in Lopburi in July. I was just hoping to find a rather cheap window unit for my monks hut there.. I guess that is out of the question.

whoa! $285 Dollars = ~9,000 Baht, that's what you pay for an ElCheapo 9000 btu/h split unit in Thailand plus of course the installation. when i say ElCheapo i mean that financially but not necessarily quality wise.

for further, perhaps interesting information, please check your private messages.

I have a 12,000 btu unit in it which cost about 285 bucks.. It keeps it cool in here, Today is supposed to be 119 outside.. So far it stays about 83 in my room.. good enough for me. I'll be back in Lopburi in July. I was just hoping to find a rather cheap window unit for my monks hut there.. I guess that is out of the question.

whoa! $285 Dollars = ~9,000 Baht, that's what you pay for an ElCheapo 9000 btu/h split unit in Thailand plus of course the installation. when i say ElCheapo i mean that financially but not necessarily quality wise.

for further, perhaps interesting information, please check your private messages.

Yes, it is pretty cheap compared to units in Thailand..

Here in the US, a lot of people buy these window units to help cool off a den, rec room, garage apartment, rather than going whole hog for a central unit and paying outrageous electric bills.

They are quite popular.. although most of these units are only used in the very hot summer months, which is usually about three months, we have 4 seasons here, and they seem to last maybe three years tops. kind of like disposable bic lighters, ha ha ha ..