best air-con in thailand?

aussieinthailand

My chum in UK who is an A/C fitter advised me to buy Daikin which he fits if it is left for his decision by the customer. He says hardly ever a call out with them. Mine is 7 years old now. They are very quiet and non of that clicking on and off, it is an inverter type.

Your chum is right. See my earlier post. We get ours serviced every 6 months for 800 baht and they pressure wash all the inside unit and the outside unit. Yes they are very very quiet, its on now but I cant hear it at all.

My chum in UK who is an A/C fitter advised me to buy Daikin which he fits if it is left for his decision by the customer. He says hardly ever a call out with them. Mine is 7 years old now. They are very quiet and non of that clicking on and off, it is an inverter type.

Your chum is right. See my earlier post. We get ours serviced every 6 months for 800 baht and they pressure wash all the inside unit and the outside unit. Yes they are very very quiet, its on now but I cant hear it at all.

For 800 Baht, I sure hope you're getting at least 4 units cleaned & serviced :)

We have a Daikin in our office area at my temple.. It just keeps on working, year in and year out.. very quiet.. We clean it about every two months..

In the US Pacific NW. the window units are used the most. Its a waste of money to put in central A/C for maybe a week of use.a year. (this year an exception. Where I lived, you would put on a jacket to watch the 4th of July parade. Calling for 108F this year)

I have a Samsung split here---very noisy

Edited by bunnydrops

In the US Pacific NW. the window units are used the most. Its a waste of money to put in central A/C for maybe a week of use.a year. (this year an exception. Where I lived, you would put on a jacket to watch the 4th of July parade. Calling for 108F this year)

I have a Samsung split here---very noisy

The same around Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. The summers are too short for the expense of central units.

Get one of the new 'inverter compressor' models, they use about 25% less electricity.

Samsung and LG both have 12,000btu models out for about 17kbht.

I have a similar sized living room and i got a 12,000 LG inverter. It keeps the room cool bur probably too underpowered if you want sub 20 C. It cost 21,000 baht though and i doubt you would get a good one for much less.

• 7 years later...

I have followed this discussion for some time and took notes here and there .... but probably did not get all the science and wisdom, knowing next to nothing to AC's. Here I am, fitting up my wife's house in Isan (she's got a nice large one) and of course heat is a problem. So, AC's then! But what and how?

Our bedroom is 19 sq. metres and 2.6 metres high, facing north. I guess an inverter of 12,000 BTU would be appropriate, Mitsubishi Slim or similar. We do not tend to run the AC's the whole day around and not at all at night.

The main part of the house is about 65 sq. metres in a T-shape open arrangement, 2.7 metres high, facing south and east but with quite a few things in front offering some shading, like plants and what is actually the main part of the compound, her parents' house which she inherited 5I will not say anything about AC's in there). For these 65 sq. metres, I'm really confused. I reckoned 2 inverter units of 12,000 BTU's would be OK, but talking to a vendor in Global House, the guy told me we would need an 18,000 BTU unit. I'm not sure anymore he meant only that or in addition to one 12,000 BTU unit. As it is where people stay during the day, the AC's would be used more than in the bedroom (but again not a night).

Both areas in question are separated from the classic roof (metal sheets) by a ceiling.

I would be very grateful for reactions and advice on all that.

• 5 months later...

This summer my father bought a Samsung air conditioner, which is great for making life easier on the hottest days, but at some point, it crashed, it just started blinking, at different times the number of blinks changed, depending on the buttons we pressed, in the hope that everything will be the same. After many futile attempts, I looked on the Internet and came across an article: why the samsung air conditioner blinking lights. Which helped us a lot.

In the end, it turned out that a different number of flashes at different intervals meant different air conditioner processes that were running on it. For example, when the light blinks for 2 seconds in blue, it indicates that the power supply of the air conditioner itself is being reset. I lead to the fact that you can find a solution to your problem on this resource, in my opinion, you cannot find professionals in this topic anywhere better. Therefore, I highly recommend it.

On 6/25/2013 at 2:18 PM, IMHO said:

As Crossy notes, 36m2 isn't a small area to cool...

If the room is downstairs in a 2-story house, or is very well insulated you could maybe get away with 20,000 BTU - but I'd still recommend 25,000 BTU to be safe on really hot days.

if it's an upstairs room, or gets quite hot you'll need up to 30,000 BTU to cool it down though.

With the type of cooling capacity you need and budget specified, it's simply going to be a matter of finding the cheapest big unit you can. The top-end in these kinds of BTU ranges cost around 45,000-50,000 Baht.

no , not the biggest... it can go against u.... get correct..

On 9/8/2021 at 5:52 AM, louiswalker said:

This summer my father bought a Samsung air conditioner, which is great for making life easier on the hottest days, but at some point, it crashed, it just started blinking, at different times the number of blinks changed, depending on the buttons we pressed, in the hope that everything will be the same. After many futile attempts, I looked on the Internet and came across an article: why the samsung air conditioner blinking lights. Which helped us a lot.

In the end, it turned out that a different number of flashes at different intervals meant different air conditioner processes that were running on it. For example, when the light blinks for 2 seconds in blue, it indicates that the power supply of the air conditioner itself is being reset. I lead to the fact that you can find a solution to your problem on this resource, in my opinion, you cannot find professionals in this topic anywhere better. Therefore, I highly recommend it.

samsung.. i have 5, one is inverter.. ALL SUK

On 7/1/2013 at 2:24 PM, misterphil said:

ah yes, thats something that rarely gets mentioned.. the clicking and noise when sleeping... I ex mil and sleep with the pillow ear over my hand for elevation to get more use of the bottom ear (habit) and that damn clicking when on and off and the whoosh of gas whatever...  suks...  then I go 5 star  traveling.. hardly hear a thing...   dreams...  yes, well said.. I would happy pay more  for a good sleep... checking Daikins now, thanks

On 6/26/2013 at 6:34 PM, AnotherOneAmerican said:

Get one of the new 'inverter compressor' models, they use about 25% less electricity.

Samsung and LG both have 12,000btu models out for about 17kbht.

all the CHANGS  in the know, dont like inverter ones... cost more up front.. more maint, more repairs, more cost...   they say not worth the pain and cost....   yes I have 9 units, one is inverter samsung and core failed lucky with  in waranty home pro but thats consistent with the old CHANGS beleif the aluminium cores are <deleted>...  changes another samsung alum core on a non inverter as well, then the new inverter PCB died, another 2200 .... never again..  I have 4 fujitsu casette... rararly fail, not as dirty because its in the ceiling, with gravity... 2 never cleaned in 14 years , still gets cold....  all this hype with U WANT CLEAN all the time...   tired of it... pull the top filter off urself and blast it... 

7 hours ago, Seeall said:

ah yes, thats something that rarely gets mentioned.. the clicking and noise when sleeping... I ex mil and sleep with the pillow ear over my hand for elevation to get more use of the bottom ear (habit) and that damn clicking when on and off and the whoosh of gas whatever...  suks...  then I go 5 star  traveling.. hardly hear a thing...   dreams...  yes, well said.. I would happy pay more  for a good sleep... checking Daikins now, thanks

If you want really really quiet then the Mitsubishi Move eye range have a fan setting that is virtually silent. They are pricey and they have a heat pump setting for the couple of weeks a year when it’s useful 

On 6/26/2013 at 9:33 PM, rixalex said:

I've been through most makes, Panasonic, Trane, Samsung, Daikin. Trane is the only one that hasn't died. All the others lasted anywhere between 3 and 6 years before breaking beyond repair. The Daikin was the last to die, and it wasn't much more than 3 years old. The tech took the plastic housing off and a metal area at one end was terribly corroded. I was quite shocked. The machine has had very light use and has been very well taken care of, with frequent servicing.

I've just had a Mitsu fitted. See how that goes. I was told that Mr Slim is better than Heavy Duty. Not sure if true but that is the one i went for. 18,000 BTU. Cost 30k. Works fine so far, but how long it lasts, who knows...

I have been using both Pana and Daikin for 4 years now and it is still functioning. 

Two Yorks over twenty years old (moved twice)

One Carrier fifteen years old (moved once) 

One Mitsubishi fifteen years old 

One Carrier two years old

Two Carriers one year old. 

All still going strong. Just clean the filters monthly. Had to replace the starter for the compressor on the the 15 year old Carrier about a month ago.