Thai Beef- Buy a steak, marinate it... and hope for the best!

Today, I went to the fresh market on Pattaya Tai, where I bought a beef tenderloin (ask for: Sun Nai)- cost 375 baht for the whole tenderloin. After trimming the meat (the dog is over the moon), I used 1 pound, and followed this Korean marinade recipe & preparation. Then, we put it in the fridge for about 7 hours, took it out and grilled it. The beef slices came out with slightly charred grills marks and the flavor was really good. Also, the pear definitely helps tenderize the beef. Even if you start out with the best cut available at the local market here, it still will always need tenderizing... and this worked really well. All things considered, it was a delicious and economical way to prepare Thai beef... and that ain't easy.

Korean Beef Marinade-

Ingredients:

• 1 pound beef tenderloin, sliced into thin pieces, 1/8” thick

Marinade (for 1 pound of beef):

• 1/2 pear, pureed
  • 1 small onion, pureed
  • 6 cloves of chopped garlic, minced
  • 1 green onion, minced
  • 3 1/2 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 1/2- 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tbs sesame oil
  • several thin slices of carrot

Directions:

1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Add the sliced beef and mix well. Keep it in the fridge and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes- up to overnight for tougher cuts of beef.
  3. You can grill, pan-fry, or BBQ right after marinating. Koreans always serve with ssamjang sauce.
  • Like 2

Sounds goo but to much like hard work,I will stick to the Australian imported rib eye from tops cheers.

That's fine, of course. I like to cook, so this preparation was no problem. But, the imported Aussie steaks are undoubtedly better tasting all around. Salt, pepper... and right on the barbie. Super good. All I'm saying is that we're in a position of trying to eat well on a budget- and this was one attempt that everyone enjoyed.

Edited by Michaelaway

I usually buy striploin @ 325 baht a Kg.

The steak is tender enough and in general ok, but the taste is not very strong.

I have yet to find Thai rib eye steaks of acceptable quality.

You will never find one, mainly because Thai cows are only bred and fed for dairy. What you get at the slaughter house is a very ordinary looking moo moo

You will never find one, mainly because Thai cows are only bred and fed for dairy. What you get at the slaughter house is a very ordinary looking moo moo

Don't fully agree with that. KU Beef by Kasetsart University is quite good.

Available over what % of the country...?

Available over what % of the country...?

I don't know the distribution channels but it is available in Chiang Mai.

On the few occasions where I buy a beef steak these days from BigC, frozen from Makro, or from the local hang-it-by-the-hoof market, I whack it with one of these that I brought back from the USA. I've tried various tenderizers bottled or fresh papaya, etc. and I find that it makes the meat too mushy.

prod.90010_lg.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds goo but to much like hard work,I will stick to the Australian imported rib eye from tops cheers.

That's fine, of course. I like to cook, so this preparation was no problem. But, the imported Aussie steaks are undoubtedly better tasting all around. Salt, pepper... and right on the barbie. Super good. All I'm saying is that we're in a position of trying to eat well on a budget- and this was one attempt that everyone enjoyed.

Yes, the Imported Aussie Beef is great, as is the NZ Lamb but I agree with you about the "budget" and the Oz Dollar isn't worth what it was a few weeks ago so we'll be trying your marinade.....many thanks. Murray in CNX.

On the few occasions where I buy a beef steak these days from BigC, frozen from Makro, or from the local hang-it-by-the-hoof market, I whack it with one of these that I brought back from the USA. I've tried various tenderizers bottled or fresh papaya, etc. and I find that it makes the meat too mushy.

prod.90010_lg.jpg

I actually have one of these, and I agree that it works pretty well to tenderize Thai beef. But, I wanted to compare other methods to tenderize, One thing about marinades with pear, papaya or any enzyme element that breaks down the fibers of the meat, you learn from trial & error. Ie; don't let it marinate too long, and try to shake off most of the marinade before cooking... this to avoid mushiness.

• Like 2

prod.90010_lg.jpg

Owned a BBQ & Grill restaurant for several years. Would not even open the doors if I didn't have one of these. Generally called a "Jaccard". They work great for marinating. Also like the comment about using fresh papaya juice. Few people know that this is a natural tenderizer. Breaks down all of the muscles. Just don't leave it on the meat forever, or it will go too far and break down everything, and influence the taste in a way that you don't want. Steak....great. Papaya juice....great. Flavors melded together...not so great. You want the flavor of the beef.

prod.90010_lg.jpg

errrrrrrm... yuck!

I'd rather have a hacked meat patty.

Rather sit in the NY steakhouse at the bar with a couple of Martini's and wait for my Wagyu Tenderloin to arrive from the kitchen..

No shopping requried, no scary looking tenderiser required, no washing up, no waiting - Bliss...

Your recipe looks very interesting, I used to be a mostly beef eater but the beef available in Thailand quickly changed that preference of meat to pork.

After trying steak houses in Pattaya and only managed to pay more money for the same low quality meat, I gave up completely on beef.

Fast forward 8 years, my wife BBQ-ed some meat and as I was eating it I tasted that great flavorful beef taste and asked my wife, she told me at the local Macro she found some small packaged beef steak and purchased 3 of them. She cooked them they were great tasting just a slight toughness that I had no problem with.

I will try your recipe, on one of those steaks, should work. I also like Korean sauce and believe I would like the results.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers:wai2.gif

Your recipe looks very interesting, I used to be a mostly beef eater but the beef available in Thailand quickly changed that preference of meat to pork.

After trying steak houses in Pattaya and only managed to pay more money for the same low quality meat, I gave up completely on beef.

Fast forward 8 years, my wife BBQ-ed some meat and as I was eating it I tasted that great flavorful beef taste and asked my wife, she told me at the local Macro she found some small packaged beef steak and purchased 3 of them. She cooked them they were great tasting just a slight toughness that I had no problem with.

I will try your recipe, on one of those steaks, should work. I also like Korean sauce and believe I would like the results.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers:wai2.gif

Yes, I used to eat a lot of beef in my past life in the U.S. But, coming to Thailand on a budget has forced me to pretty much exclude beef from my diet. I mean steaks, mostly, because I make a lot of ground beef dishes. I can get along because I've found lots of good ways to cook chicken, pork, seafood & fish, etc. Add to that the number of local Thai foods that I like (a good number) and the farang restaurants in my taste and budget range, and I'm doing ok.

In my retirement, cooking has become a major hobby so this was just an idea to buy the (affordable) best cut of Thai beef and try to make it taste good, of course, but tender was the challenge. Good luck if you try it. If you want to, you can decrease the brown sugar a bit. I'd say it's ok to use a lot of garlic, but don't use too much pear, ok?

cool.png

prod.90010_lg.jpg

Owned a BBQ & Grill restaurant for several years. Would not even open the doors if I didn't have one of these. Generally called a "Jaccard". They work great for marinating. Also like the comment about using fresh papaya juice. Few people know that this is a natural tenderizer. Breaks down all of the muscles. Just don't leave it on the meat forever, or it will go too far and break down everything, and influence the taste in a way that you don't want. Steak....great. Papaya juice....great. Flavors melded together...not so great. You want the flavor of the beef.

When I got one of these, the first thing I tried was this:

First, I poked the heck out of one of the rib eye steaks from Makro (might be the same ones Manarak +/or Kikoman mentioned) Then, I rubbed it with olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper & garlic powder and chilled it in the fridge for an hour. After that, I popped it on a charcoal grill to cook. It was good- not USA-tender, but pretty good flavor.

Edited by Michaelaway

prod.90010_lg.jpg

When I got one of these, the first thing I tried was this:

First, I poked the heck out of one of the rib eye steaks from Makro (might be the same ones Manarak +/or Kikoman mentioned) Then, I rubbed it with olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper & garlic powder and chilled it in the fridge for an hour. After that, I popped it on a charcoal grill to cook. It was good- not USA-tender, but pretty good flavor.

olive oil for steak ???

Rather sit in the NY steakhouse at the bar with a couple of Martini's and wait for my Wagyu Tenderloin to arrive from the kitchen..

No shopping requried, no scary looking tenderiser required, no washing up, no waiting - Bliss...

cant afford $100 at a time for a 20oz steak and 6pints of cider.

i have been following adrian richardson on the a.f.c. 8.30pm.thurs.he is the meat man,every recipe has been good,

using steak from makro marinated overnight.

oyster sauce,

dk.soy,

palm sugar,

rice wine,

grated garlic,

olive oil.

i measure small amounts just enough to give it taste[trial and error]

Doesn't the oyster sauce and palm sugar make it taste sweet and doesn't burn very easily if cooked on a charcoal fire? Sounds good for a dipping sauce but not for an overnight marinade.

--------------------

Throw it on the Barbie ....3 minutes on one side, 2 minutes on the other.

More good meat has ben ruined by that method than anything else.

But whatever, it's your life, do whatever you wish.

For those who do know about the value on a good marinade .... try using Lime juice or even Papaya juice in the marinade.

Papaya has natural enzymes in it that will soften the meat and tenderize it. Lime has a different taste that gives a nice tang to the beef,

Lemon juice is good too, but be careful not to overdo the acidic juices like Lemon or Lime.

Doesn't the oyster sauce and palm sugar make it taste sweet and doesn't burn very easily if cooked on a charcoal fire? Sounds good for a dipping sauce but not for an overnight marinade.

we havent rearly noticed but definately doesnt burn although we have an electric grill,as for being sweet there is a sauce to go with the steak a.r.calls it dragon so maybe this takes away any sweetness,the wf.loves it.

fresh chilli-s

garlic

shallots

lemon grass

all the above bok bok them

add,chpd.corriander

jus of 2 limes

fish sauce

soy sauce

salt

mix well

Have you tried a slow cooker or crock pot for meals other than grilled steaks?

Have you tried a slow cooker or crock pot for meals other than grilled steaks?

Yes, I tried crockpot Penang beef curry and a few other ideas a few months ago with beef from Makro. This brisket recipe was pretty good:

Crockpot Beef Brisket-

Ingredients:

• 2-3 lbs. beef brisket
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 2 Tbsp. Sri Racha sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 1-2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 2 onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 carrots, chunked
  • 2 Tbsp. ground, roasted red chilies
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/3 cup water

Preparation:

Brown the brisket in olive oil; when 90% finished, toss the garlic in the pan and cook until the meat is all browned & the garlic has become fragrant. Then, put the onions & carrots in the bottom of the crockpot and place the brisket & garlic on top. Combine tomato paste, Sri Racha, chilies, vinegar, and brown sugar in small bowl; pour over the beef. Add 1-2" water to the crockpot; cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours. For the gravy, when the brisket is done, remove it from the crockpot and place on a serving plate; cover with foil. Turn crockpot temperature to High. Mix flour with 1/3 cup water, add to crockpot, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently with wire whisk until bubbling & thick.

cool.png

Edited by Michaelaway