Everyone's a Hacker.

Forethat

Do you take offense being called a "hacker"?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry to burst someones bubble here.

But as someone who works on the Pro tours

i have heard pros say that they hacked there way around

when playing badly.

Does not offend me i had plenty of hacking days when i was playing,

divots the size of bunkers.

Potters

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when playing badly.

Potters

That's perfectly okay my friend, some have no problem with the term others are the opposite!!

I have to admit to using derogatory terms whilst posting within my thread regarding caddies in this country, it was uncalled for considering the majority of these people are trying to do a difficult job, I hate the fact I am forced to have a caddie and took it out on these people using comments which were tottaly uncalled for, even though these people will never see my thread I always learn by my mistakes and will make sure I dont lower my morals into the gutter again, lets hope other people follow my lead!!! in fact I hate being forced to have a caddie so much I have given the game up, but looking forward to my next game at Black mountain which did not have any of the problems related to Phuket!!!!

Using your own outspoken principle, may I suggest that you walk up to each of the caddies at said golf courses and apologise rather than doing it here?

When you're done I suggest you work your way thru the remaining topics on TV where you frequently use the terms "idiot", "stupid" and similar so you can make the same type of amends.

And to return to the subject, didn't I agree to call you "duffer" and refrain from using the word "hacker" (even though I have never called you that)?

when playing badly.

Potters

nothing is wrong with big divots when done with high loft blades with no offset... although it can be painful for the knuckles when the fairways were built on the cheap and contain a lot of stones. or worse, earth-stabilizing mesh - nearly broke my wrist because one of those in a bunker. very painful, had to stop playing for the day.

Sorry to burst someones bubble here.But as someone who works on the Pro toursi have heard pros say that they hacked there way aroundwhen playing badly.Does not offend me i had plenty of hacking days when i was playing,divots the size of bunkers. Potters

nothing is wrong with big divots when done with high loft blades with no offset...
Well, if the divot is five inches behind the ball, then....

:-/

when playing badly.

Potters

nothing is wrong with big divots when done with high loft blades with no offset... although it can be painful for the knuckles when the fairways were built on the cheap and contain a lot of stones. or worse, earth-stabilizing mesh - nearly broke my wrist because one of those in a bunker. very painful, had to stop playing for the day.

A professional friend of mine who visited earlier this year had that problem in a bunker at one of the top courses here on Phuket, he was not impressed!! Although this was not a mesh it was plastic sheeting placed just beneath the sand, why do they do that? Is this a normal practice?

when playing badly.

Potters

A professional friend of mine who visited earlier this year had that problem in a bunker at one of the top courses here on Phuket, he was not impressed!! Although this was not a mesh it was plastic sheeting placed just beneath the sand, why do they do that? Is this a normal practice?

no, not normal practice, but cheap corner cutting by ignorant and/or cheap greenkeepers. In all fairness, they might not have the adequate budget to rebuild the bunkers and edges every 6 months, but it is certainly frustrating and can also be dangerous as in my case.

Sorry to burst someones bubble here.But as someone who works on the Pro toursi have heard pros say that they hacked there way aroundwhen playing badly.Does not offend me i had plenty of hacking days when i was playing,divots the size of bunkers. Potters

nothing is wrong with big divots when done with high loft blades with no offset...
Well, if the divot is five inches behind the ball, then....

:-/

agreed. if lucky, the divot can then flip over and cover the ball !! w00t.gif

when playing badly.

Potters

I agree Potters, every golfer uses the term for himself.

But that isn't the question. May I ask you, if you are playing on tour and one of the your partners is having a bad run of it do you go up to them after the game and call them a hacker? No problem saying to the guy that he hacked around. But to actually just say that he is a hacker could lead to a nasty feeling.

I don't think you'd be the most popular lad around if you did that.

when playing badly.

Potters

no, not normal practice, but cheap corner cutting by ignorant and/or cheap greenkeepers. In all fairness, they might not have the adequate budget to rebuild the bunkers and edges every 6 months, but it is certainly frustrating and can also be dangerous as in my case.

And in the case of my friend, he actually hit the edge of the sheeting hurting his wrist quite badly, he was already stressed by the caddie who was talking on her phone, so this just annoyed him even more, but bless her she has a difficult job pulling a golf cart round a very hot golf course!!

If we are to believe the posters who argue that "Hacker" is a derogatory term only when used to describe a good golfer (at which point it becomes an insult if we are to believe the minority), but a perfectly reasonable term when used to describe a player of lesser ability, then perhaps the question is exactly at which point is a player considered a "good" golfer..?

If you ask me, the only reason certain players scream, swear and throw clubs, is because they can't accept that they are not as good players as they think they are. One would imagine those are also the ones who get offended when someone uses the word "hacker" in generic terms to describe a recreational golfer who may not have the same capability as a Pro.

Personally, I dont use the word to describe the playing ability of anyone, I use it to describe a golfer who has no ambitions to play on the Tour.

Edited by Forethat

Sorry to burst someones bubble here.But as someone who works on the Pro toursi have heard pros say that they hacked there way aroundwhen playing badly.Does not offend me i had plenty of hacking days when i was playing,divots the size of bunkers.Potters

Actually, the landscaping cloth at the bottom of bunkers fulfills an important purpose; it prevents weed and other stuff from growing in the bunker. It also prevents stones from raising through the layers up into the bunker and in also keeps the sand free from being mixed with clay and dirt. For this reason there's always a cloth underneath the sand in a bunker (or at least there should be).

I dont know if this is relevant in the discussion regarding hackers, but lets just agree that you grennkeeper is NOT a hacker at greenkeeping just because there's a cloth under the sand...if it is exposed due to poor maintenenace, then he is!

Ok, weighing in - haven't gone through all the nitty gritty of the posts.

Hacker, chopper both very common phrases in my neck of the woods, part of golfing venacular. I can understand how someone might be a bit offended if they didn't think they were a Hacker and were labled as such. But really it is a generic term in my book and many hackers/choppers I know do refer to themselves as a 'bit of a hacker/chopper'. I feel it is all in good taste, not with malicious intent.

A lot of comp days and social events actually have a NAGA (Not A Golfers ###Hole) award.... That in effect announces someone that has 'hacked/duffed/chopped' around the golf course for the day? All taken in context it normally isn't condescending , surely?

• Like 1

when playing badly.

Potters

But that isn't the question. May I ask you, if you are playing on tour and one of the your partners is having a bad run of it do you go up to them after the game and call them a hacker? No problem saying to the guy that he hacked around. But to actually just say that he is a hacker could lead to a nasty feeling.

I dont play i caddy.

Words dont need to be exchanged between players

who have played badly,the expression normally says it all.

Some players can laugh a bad round off others get upset,

just the nature of the person.

Potters

• Like 1

when playing badly.

Potters

I dont play i caddy.

Words dont need to be exchanged between players

who have played badly,the expression normally says it all.

Some players can laugh a bad round off others get upset,

just the nature of the person.

Potters

You're just avoiding the question. If hacker is not a derogatory term and doesn't bother you then you would have no problem going to a player and calling him a hacker after a bad round then?

Or is it that players are actually sensitive to someone who is not playing well and use manners by not referring to them as a hacker.

Edited by FDog
  • Like 1

There are people who think the word hacker is perfectly okay(up to them, but would they go up to a player and call him it to there face? being a considerate person I would never use this word in any context of the game, if someone came up to me and called me a hacker to my face I would show him my displeasure as it is an insult and has nothing to do with ones golfing ability!!

• Like 1

There are people who think the word hacker is perfectly okay(up to them, but would they go up to a player and call him it to there face? being a considerate person I would never use this word in any context of the game, if someone came up to me and called me a hacker to my face I would show him my displeasure as it is an insult and has nothing to do with ones golfing ability!!

And that is it in a nutshell.

ChuckD also made reference to something similar. You may be chatting to a bar girl but you never refer to her as a whore even though she is, unless you want a bottle over your head.

It is just totally bad manners and you'd soon find yourself as a Nigel No Friends.

ChuckD also made reference to something similar. You may be chatting to a bar girl but you never refer to her as a whore even though she is, unless you want a bottle over your head.

It is just totally bad manners and you'd soon find yourself as a Nigel No Friends.

It's all down to having consideration for others, many people are devoid of this and basically use the word aimed to insult, intelligence would tell them it is quite clearly wrong!!

when playing badly.

Potters

Quite frankly, I dont see one ounce of relevancy in your question/statement.

Do you seriously believe that you'd be looked at as anything but a tosser if you walked up to ANYONE after his/hers round and said "You're a hacker*...?

Why on earth would ANYONE walk up to someone after a round of golf and start commenting on his/hers game...?

I can't see how anyone would be looked at as anything but a bit of a weirdo.

And mind you, it's not like the virtual world where you can start over from scratch once you've burned your name, and register a new account and behave as if it rained; most people recognises a weirdo regardless of new name or not...

whistling.gif

• Like 1

As you yet again avoiding the question?

In case you have yet to comprehend this, I have already replied to your request for answers. Interesting how certain individuals feel that they have the right to demand answers to irrelevant questions from others. Edited by Forethat

It's all down to having consideration for others, many people are devoid of this and basically use the word aimed to insult, intelligence would tell them it is quite clearly wrong!!

I have never experienced or seen anyone using the word as an insult. It'd be great if you could show me an example of what this looks like...?