Phuket tuk-tuk drivers protest illegal taxis

Lite Beer

Phuket tuk-tuk drivers protest illegal taxis
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: A protest by about 100 tuk-tuk drivers today won the drivers a crackdown on illegal taxis, which the tuk-tuk clan says are stealing their jobs.

After staging a convoy from Kathu, the protesters parked their tuk-tuks at Sanam Chai, across the street from Provincial Hall in Phuket Town (map here).

“We do not have enough money to pay the monthly installments on our tuk-tuks and to cover living costs. Our incomes have fallen because many illegal taxis are stealing work from us,” said protest leader Sakol Srisompoch.

Mr Sakol identified the source of the tuk-tuk drivers’ woes as pickup trucks illegally modified to carry passengers in the back; illegal “black plate” taxis (standard sedan cars illegally used as taxis); and vehicles legally registered as used taxis, but in provinces other than Phuket.

“They are stealing our passengers in Patong, Kata and Karon. Almost all of them work only at nighttime” he said.

“We want government officers and the police to be more strict. Arresting these people and charging them with the highest penalty should be a top priority.

“Illegal taxis charge 500 to 1,000 baht per fare, and pay 200 to 300 baht to police who stop them. We want police to throw the book at them and fine them 2,000 baht each time,” Mr Sakol said.

After voicing their concerns, the drivers marched across the street to hand their complaint to Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut.

Governor Maitri was unavailable at the time, so Phuket Vice Governor Sommai Prijasilpa received the complaint.

Attached to the complaint was a list of names of allegedly illegal taxi drivers in Patong that the tuk-tuk drivers want arrested, to make it easier for officials to take action against them.

At a quickly assembled meeting that followed soon after, Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karachedi vowed to launch a campaign targeting illegal taxi drivers in Phuket.

“I will order police in every area to crack down on and arrest illegal taxi drivers,” he said.

Col Peerayuth also promised that drivers found serving passengers with illegally modified vehicles would be fined double: 4,000 baht.

However, he added the police must catch illegal taxi drivers in the act of ferrying passengers, otherwise they were powerless to arrest them.

“If local residents can help us find them, and even take photos for us, it would help a lot,” he said.

Vice Governor Sommai gave police until July 15 to report to her the results of the crackdown.

“I do not want to see people getting away with breaking the law in Phuket,” she said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-tuk-tuk-drivers-protest-illegal-taxis-21453.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-26

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket tuk-tuks under siege from ‘black’ tuk-tuks
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1372244275_1.jpg
Tutk-tuk drivers carry banners objecting to any possibility of the 30-40 black tuk-tuks being made legitimate.

PHUKET: -- Two hundred tuk-tuk drivers drove their machines to Phuket Provincial Hall this morning (June 26) to protest against a growing problem of “black” tuk-tuks stealing their business.

One protester told The Phuket News, “Today, we have come from many places, including Patong, Kata and Karon. We can no longer tolerate these black tuk-tuks snatching our customers. Before, we could earn about B500 a day but after they came our income has fallen to only B300.”

They moved into the grounds of the Provincial Hall, chanting “Please, Governor, Help!”, “Here there are too many black tuk-tuks!” and “We are in trouble! We ask for your help!”

Vice-Governor Dr Sommai Preechasilpa walked out to listen to their complaints.

Using a megaphone, the leader of the protest, Sakol Srisompot, explained the situation. “Please, Vice-Governor Sommai. We need help or we will be in trouble in the future.”

He explained that the black tuk-tuks are actually Suzuki mini-trucks, modified and painted to look similar to tuk-tuks.

“They always come at night to snatch the tourists. They often stop in the area around Hard Rock [at the east end of Bangla Rd], near restaurants, along the beach and in other places.”

Deputy Provincial Police Commander Pol Col Peerayut Karajedee said he agreed that something should be done about the illegal tuk-tuks. He added that this was something officers had had no prior knowledge of, and he praised the legitimate tuk-tuk drivers for their bravery in standing up for their rights.

Jaturong Keawkasi of the Phuket Land Transportation Office (PLTO), who also attended the protest, said, “Thank you very much for telling us about this. The black tuk-tuks have been registered with us as vehicles for personal use. But they are being use for commercial services.

“This is against the law and the law-breakers can be fined up to B2,000 for each instance.

He told The Phuket News, “V/G Sommai has already ordered us to follow up on this. Today the protesters told me there are 30 or 40 of these black tuk-tuks. We will make a plan to check up on this.”

Tuk-tuk leader Sakol said afterwards, “We were very impressed with officials today. But we will be watching closely what action they take.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tuk-tuks-under-siege-from-%E2%80%98black%E2%80%99-tuk-tuks-40449.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-06-27

If they before could do 500 baht a day and now 300 baht a day, that means they only had one or two customers each day. What a bunch of liars. I hate those scumbags and i rather walk then take a tuk tuk in these areas. Let them suffer until they come up with reasonable prices.

• Like 1

A lot of illegal taxis are members of the tuktuk co-operatives. You see them parked in the tuktuk only bays, often with a taxi sign on the roof.

On another issue: where does Governor Maitri spend his time? Why is nearly every meeting attended by the Vice Goveror. Is he the Yingluck of the South?

• Like 2

Before, we could earn about B500 a day but after they came our income has fallen to only B300.”

I find that bit laughable, is it possible to go anywhere in Phuket by tuk tuk for 300 Baht? Last time I was there some comedian wanted 400 Baht to take me from the 9th floor restaurant to Sea Pearl.

Karma somchai, karma.

• Like 1

Before, we could earn about B500 a day but after they came our income has fallen to only B300.”

I find that bit laughable, is it possible to go anywhere in Phuket by tuk tuk for 300 Baht? Last time I was there some comedian wanted 400 Baht to take me from the 9th floor restaurant to Sea Pearl.

Karma somchai, karma.

Im not backing these guys at all, but logically,any vehical has ''running costs"' yes?

Apart from the real running costs there is also the payments that MUST be made to those in charge.[ i believe at about 500baht per day]..and they are the real villains here IMO.

55555555555555555 What a load of Bull

These scum could be said to be like "the pot calling the kettle black"

And yes their incomes might be down but these a'holes are a big part of the problem, and not the solution.

Only when the last tourist has left; Only then will they find that money cannot be eaten.

• Like 2

Perhaps the governor (anyone know where he is?) should ask the people of Phuket what they want? I am quite sure an overwhelming majority (like 99%) would rather see the governor do something about the tuk tuk mafia than see him remove the socalled illegal taxis. The socalled illegal taxis are only a problem for the tuk tuk mafia, the tuk tuk mafia is a problem for EVERYONE!

• Like 1