What do you want from this forum?

villagefarang

I sometimes wonder what people want or expect from this little Chiang Rai sub-forum. ThaiVisa already covers most things so well in other sections. News, visas, food, sports, religion, motor vehicles, housing, farming, travel, photography, computers and many other topics are covered in their own forums. What's left for us?

Chiang Rai is still a pretty small town, though growing rapidly, so I have never had any problems finding things by simply asking around. At the same time members seem to be spread over a vast area. That seems to suggest social networking or providing a gateway for people who are interested in Chiang Rai either as tourists or potential new residents.

With a steady influx of new people who have not had a chance to weigh in on what they want from this forum, I though it might be appropriate to invite comment.

So anyone have a comment or opinion? As usual, try to keep it civil.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic VF,

I am heading out for the evening soon, but will ponder and post in the morning whilst savouring my first cup of freshly ground "YODDOI" Doi Chaang coffee. coffee1.gif

Something Mrs. Aft brought home for me today. What a sweetheart!

Until then, enjoy your evening and Cheers from here. wai.gif

• Like 1

Good Morning,

I am in total agreement regarding the "photo's" as being a highlight on the Chiang Rai forum.

The discussion's of local attractions and items of interest that are posted with a C.R. perspective are also appreciated.

Even the idle chit-chat about yogurt and pomelo juice are entertaining and encourage a sense of community amongst posters and lurkers. clap2.gif

My view of our local C.R. thread is about building that sense of community, even if our friendships are limited to an on-line introduction and relationship.

Also the typically positive aspects of C.R. thread postings is something that we should be proud of and encourage.

Cheers from here.

Aft. coffee1.gif

Oh, and the locally grown morning coffee is great. (See former post) Thanx Mrs. Aft!

• Like 2

Thanks to those who have posted so far and hope to hear from others.

It strikes me that too much of the press about Chiang Rai is focused on drugs, murder and pollution. Thought it might be nice to present a counter image, of a nice place to live or visit, with abundant natural beauty and options for a healthy outdoor lifestyle and social life.

A very subtile shift from “how cheap” to “how nice” life is in Chiang Rai, would also paint a very different picture. There is room for many different interests and viewpoints to be expressed but someone has to post.

There are alway several people waiting at the bottom of the page for something to read but so few individuals willing to post. Hopefully we can put our sometimes divisive past behind us and embrace new members with a more welcoming atmosphere.

Edit: I like Aft’s comment about building a sense of community but the question is how do we go about doing that?

Edited by villagefarang

Thanks to those who have posted so far and hope to hear from others.
It strikes me that too much of the press about Chiang Rai is focused on drugs, murder and pollution. Thought it might be nice to present a counter image, of a nice place to live or visit, with abundant natural beauty and options for a healthy outdoor lifestyle and social life.
A very subtile shift from “how cheap” to “how nice” life is in Chiang Rai, would also paint a very different picture. There is room for many different interests and viewpoints to be expressed but someone has to post.
There are alway several people waiting at the bottom of the page for something to read but so few individuals willing to post. Hopefully we can put our sometimes divisive past behind us and embrace new members with a more welcoming atmosphere.

I have some worries about this. You seem to be advocating some "glossy travel writing" kind of image projection. This is the last thing we need. It is a community forum and as such should have a warts and all inclusive aproach. It is not as some think a market place, it is not as some think a place to block everyone you disagree with it is a place where people can present their view of this great community as THEY see it. The only restriction should be that personal abuse should not be tolerated. Bad language should not matter as much as this says more about the poster than what they are talking about.

Trying to make the forum united and polished and what the community is not will never work.

Edited by harrry

Good Morning,

I am in total agreement regarding the "photo's" as being a highlight on the Chiang Rai forum.

The discussion's of local attractions and items of interest that are posted with a C.R. perspective are also appreciated.

Even the idle chit-chat about yogurt and pomelo juice are entertaining and encourage a sense of community amongst posters and lurkers. clap2.gif

My view of our local C.R. thread is about building that sense of community, even if our friendships are limited to an on-line introduction and relationship.

Also the typically positive aspects of C.R. thread postings is something that we should be proud of and encourage.

Cheers from here.

Aft. coffee1.gif

Oh, and the locally grown morning coffee is great. (See former post) Thanx Mrs. Aft!

Not being an early riser, I too am sitting here in front of the computer with my morning brew.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

As a starter, can anyone provide an update on opening of the new bridge in Chinag Kong?

Does anyone know how ofter the car ferry croses over from Chiang Kong and what the price and insurance reqirements are to put a car on the ferry?

Does anyone know what is required to take a vehicle across to Burma in Tacalek?

As a starter, can anyone provide an update on opening of the new bridge in Chinag Kong?

Does anyone know how ofter the car ferry croses over from Chiang Kong and what the price and insurance reqirements are to put a car on the ferry?

Does anyone know what is required to take a vehicle across to Burma in Tacalek?

I am sure from previous posts of yours you can tell us more about Chiang Kong that we can tell you.

Taking a car to Tachilik is almost painless.

drive to the border. get passport stamped in Thailand. Drive across the bridge remembering to change lanes (They drive on the wrong side there) Get your visa to Tachilik there. They will also take a fee ( I think round 100 baht though I cannot remember exactly) for the car (show blue book). They will also issue around 40 baht I think an insurance slip. Drive on carefully. Five minutes after getting there I had a motorcycle driven by a thai thump into the back of the vigo, she picked her bike up and continues without once taking the phone she was talking on from her ear.

Edited by harrry

At least we have a civil discussion going here and hopefully more will weigh in on this topic.smile.png I have only received one PM insisting that the only problem with this forum is me.w00t.giflaugh.png That coming from someone who has been kicked off multiple times, starting from well before I joined, yet always comes back under a new name for some reason.whistling.gif

Have you ever considered that the bad language and abuse may be a major factor in alienating people and making them reluctant to post here? Is there something inherently wrong with being nice?

There is nothing inherently wrong with being nice but there may be in demanding that others are too by our standards.

Some Christian people for to a place like Central and would immediately want to ban the sale of liquor there and the sale of the loverly explicit clothes they sell in Robinsons.

Some Muslim people would want to ban the sale of liquor, the nice clothes and the selling of Moo Daeng.

Some feminists would demand the banning of those shops designed with the reinforcing to people that the female is not beutiful unless surgicly enhanced.

My view is that none of these are inherently wrong but being nice does not demand that everyone keeps the same standards as me.

Being nice is accepting people as they are warts and all.

As I have just been to Chiang Rai for a weeks visit, I was helped a lot buy the Chiang Rai forum

as to information on sites to see, roads to take and accommodation......wai.gif

Reading this forum, and following the topics that related to my interests, I probably would never of had the desire to visit.

Now I am over the moon, having been, and will definitely return for a much longer visit......thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Next time, with my travel plans in order, I will make it 3 weeks.

Edited by kevjohn
  • Like 2

Have you ever considered that the bad language and abuse may be a major factor in alienating people and making them reluctant to post here? Is there something inherently wrong with being nice?

There is nothing inherently wrong with being nice but there may be in demanding that others are too by our standards.

Some Christian people for to a place like Central and would immediately want to ban the sale of liquor there and the sale of the loverly explicit clothes they sell in Robinsons.

Some Muslim people would want to ban the sale of liquor, the nice clothes and the selling of Moo Daeng.

Some feminists would demand the banning of those shops designed with the reinforcing to people that the female is not beutiful unless surgicly enhanced.

My view is that none of these are inherently wrong but being nice does not demand that everyone keeps the same standards as me.

Being nice is accepting people as they are warts and all.

No one is making demands, harrry.smile.png Maybe I am not very nice then, as there are some warts I am not inclined to accept and would prefer not to be subjected to. I suspect we all have our limits.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

How about the variety of tribal people here which certainly amazes me and the friendliness of all these different people

Also it would be nice to hear about peoples business ventures here because only my friends in the south seem to be making money

Is it the tourist- beech thing ?

• Like 1

Learning more about the hill tribe people would be wonderful. I have had an Aka man and his wife working for me part time for the past 8 years. They are very interesting. They live in a small but clean house in Doi Hang at the Aka village. They are hard workers. The wife can not speak any Thai but the husband can but not Thai numbers. Neither have any education but eager to learn. I have taught the man Asang to do basic electric wiring, water pump installation and maintenance. He is quick to learn and does not forget. They are Christians and go to church each sunday. They still don't know the meaning of Christianity They pay a lot of money to keep their son and daughter in a private boarding school in town. The total cost per year for tuition room and board is 40,000. They have to work hard each day and struggle to keep up with their expenses. board board board board gave then a bedroom suite with king size bed and they were thrilled. I tried to explain to them that I had to work hard to get my two sons through college with advanced degrees. What is more important to a parent than giving his children an opportunity for the best education they can handle. You can see my children in Merchant of the Orient.

• Like 2

It seem that people like photos, travel experiences, local news and updates, local attraction, sense of community, positive posts, sites to see, roads to take, accommodation, tribal people, personal stories and one vote for warts and bad language.

These are some of the ideas I have garnered from this topic so far. Considering the more civil tone of late, I was hoping more people would weigh in with their ideas and opinions without fear of retribution. It is important to remember these things don’t just appear out of thin air. Someone has to step up and post something.

We need your contributions and if someone does take the time to contribute, please say something to let them know someone is reading.
  • Like 1

I find this forum a most valuable link.

i have a house,wife and daughter in the province. it is my dearest wish to live with them. Sadly I have to spend most of my time in the UK as I care for my mother who has dementia and other health issues. That will not be for ever.

Meanwhile this forum allows me to keep in touch with Chiang Rai and its expat community, of which I am perforce rather on the fringes. Along with my daily Skype calls to Best Beloved and Little Miss JAG, it keeps me sane.

And when people moan about the place - well, you lucky lucky b*st*rds!!

Thanks for this reminder of sorts. I believe you represent what is often a silent majority of individuals who have strong ties to Thailand, for whatever reason are not able to live here full-time, but sorely wish they could.
I know this to be the case with my blog and suspect it is the same here on the forum. People log in for a daily dose of Thailand, to help keep them sane and to keep the dream alive. I can’t imagine what some of the moaning must sound like, to someone who would give almost anything to swap places.
  • Like 2

I find this forum a most valuable link.

i have a house,wife and daughter in the province. it is my dearest wish to live with them. Sadly I have to spend most of my time in the UK as I care for my mother who has dementia and other health issues. That will not be for ever.

Meanwhile this forum allows me to keep in touch with Chiang Rai and its expat community, of which I am perforce rather on the fringes. Along with my daily Skype calls to Best Beloved and Little Miss JAG, it keeps me sane.

And when people moan about the place - well, you lucky lucky b*st*rds!!

Thanks for this reminder of sorts. I believe you represent what is often a silent majority of individuals who have strong ties to Thailand, for whatever reason are not able to live here full-time, but sorely wish they could.
I know this to be the case with my blog and suspect it is the same here on the forum. People log in for a daily dose of Thailand, to help keep them sane and to keep the dream alive. I can’t imagine what some of the moaning must sound like, to someone who would give almost anything to swap places.

I can't agree more on your last sentence VF. It bewilders me (at times) the amount of folks who absolutely denigrate this place and yet are fortunate enough to be able to have a full time existence in this extraordinary country. More base emotions come to mind in what they should do with their views...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I bumped into one of our young mommy members in Starbucks the other day. We got to talking about the process of settling in here in Chiang Rai. Though the specifics for young mothers are different the process doesn’t seem that different.

Apparently there are a lot more young mothers with infant children than one might imagine. Many do seem to find each other eventually but it is not always easy and relies to a great extent on word of mouth.

Our discussion got me thinking about all the gay people one sees floating around Chiang Rai or all the young teacher/volunteer types, as well. There are a lot of people out there to whom we seem to have little to offer, here on this forum.

Now whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I don’t know. I suppose things are contentious enough with our present demographic but it does give one pause, to consider how insular and exclusive we may appear to others. That is assuming they even know this forum exists.
  • Like 1

I bumped into one of our young mommy members in Starbucks the other day. We got to talking about the process of settling in here in Chiang Rai. Though the specifics for young mothers are different the process doesn’t seem that different.
Apparently there are a lot more young mothers with infant children than one might imagine. Many do seem to find each other eventually but it is not always easy and relies to a great extent on word of mouth.
Our discussion got me thinking about all the gay people one sees floating around Chiang Rai or all the young teacher/volunteer types, as well. There are a lot of people out there to whom we seem to have little to offer, here on this forum.
Now whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I don’t know. I suppose things are contentious enough with our present demographic but it does give one pause, to consider how insular and exclusive we may appear to others. That is assuming they even know this forum exists.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph smile.png

Edited by Garry

I think you hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph smile.png

offtopic2.gif.pagespeed.ce.kcjFR6YG46.gi Thanks Garry, you just pushed my “likes” to 2500. By coincidence that just happens to be the number of followers I have on Google+ at the moment.clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

• Like 1

Still looking for a source of Lao dark beer in Chiang Rai. Anyone know where it can be bought. For sure nat at the super markets, beer stores or common places. Do not know why it is not available. Even in Mae Sai it is not available.