Seven Glorious Years Since I Got Sober at Thamkrabok Temple

garro

Thanks for sharing that ... Awesome indeed ...

Thanks smileplur

Congratulations very strongly done​​, and wonderful that you are sharing with you from your experience clap2.gif

Thanks Tommy

Thanks for sharing Garro.. I wish more people could read your articles. I remember your name for a long time ago. I also have been sober for 7 years.. But intead of going to Thamkrabob, I joined the Monk hood. I'm still a monk and still sober.. Peace out brother.

Well done Phra Khaowong :) It sounds like you have a very interesting tale before.

Well done mate..........I can highly recommend his book on the subject of his recovery, it's called Dead Drunk and if you have a kindle you can order it from Amazon, I think it's also available in Thailand bookstores, I am sure I saw a copy once in Asia Books in Chiang Mai.

It's a really good readthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Well done mate..........I can highly recommend his book on the subject of his recovery, it's called Dead Drunk and if you have a kindle you can order it from Amazon, I think it's also available in Thailand bookstores, I am sure I saw a copy once in Asia Books in Chiang Mai.

It's a really good read:thumbsup:

Thank you TP. I hope you're keeping well.

• Like 1

Congratulations!

I think you really hit the nail on the head when you said you were willing to do whatever it took to stay sober. Funnily enough, that is pretty much what my sponsor asked me when I first got into AA. It's excellent advice for anyone who is trying to get/stay sober whatever methodology they use.

• Like 1

Congratulations!

I think you really hit the nail on the head when you said you were willing to do whatever it took to stay sober. Funnily enough, that is pretty much what my sponsor asked me when I first got into AA. It's excellent advice for anyone who is trying to get/stay sober whatever methodology they use.

Hi Graham, I think that was the key for sure. My attitude going to the temple was that if the monks told me I needed to run naked around Thailand that is what I would do. I went there a humble-broken-man and that made all the difference.

Good for you, my friend. From a brother in recovery.

Thanks alfalfa

Nice to hear from you Garro - all the best and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Neeranam

Congratulations. Thank you for posting your experiences. Many people still fail to realise what a powerful and dangerous drug alcohol is. My late father worked for a very large brewery company, which in those days also owned pubs, restaurants, and nightclubs. Alcohol was freely available and I saw many of his colleagues and people working in the industry become alcoholics or develop physical health problems because of regular large intakes. As with all drugs, people react differently.

• Like 1

Congratulations, what a great story. So nice to hear something positive and inspirational on these forums. The teenagers of today should listen and learn from people like yourself. Good luck for the future.

• Like 1

Garro, I sadly don't know you, but I am never the less so pleased that you are seven years clean and I hope that you have many more. We only have one shot at this life (as far as we know) and it is far better if you can enjoy and share it with happiness. The very best of luck to you.

• Like 1

I think that this is the first thread that I have ever read here where all the posts are positive and full of good things. I add my congratulations. I hope that it gives heart to those afflicted with the curse of alcoholism.

• Like 1

I think that this is the first thread that I have ever read here where all the posts are positive and full of good things. I add my congratulations. I hope that it gives heart to those afflicted with the curse of alcoholism.

Well, not every post. giggle.gif

You gave up alcohol forever? Congratulations! (And it's very cool that you can see the future.) ^^

Forever and not one day less smile.png

I usually stick to a 'never say never' policy but this is one area in my life where I needed to make an exception.

It works - what can I say.

Well done, for some its a hard thing to do but a necessity.

Yeah, where I was heading wasn't a good place.

I doubt I would have lived much longer if I had of continued.

I wouldn't have even made it to the front of the Pattaya news because I lived in the bunnies.

Congratulations. Thank you for posting your experiences. Many people still fail to realise what a powerful and dangerous drug alcohol is. My late father worked for a very large brewery company, which in those days also owned pubs, restaurants, and nightclubs. Alcohol was freely available and I saw many of his colleagues and people working in the industry become alcoholics or develop physical health problems because of regular large intakes. As with all drugs, people react differently.

I agree with you. I think many people are fooled by the sterotype of the hopeless drug to fool themsevles into believeing they don't have a problem. There are also plenty of people who can handle their booze. I certainly don't begrude them, but I don't envy them either.

Respect!!!

Thanks

Fantastic work Khun Garro. We get so much depressing stuff here it is really terrific to hear some good news.

Thanks for making my Friday afternoon and good luck to you Sir ...

TV must have radically changed recently if it is full of negative stuff - it never used to be like that- I thought this was the entry portal for the Land of Smiles smile.png

Congratulations, what a great story. So nice to hear something positive and inspirational on these forums. The teenagers of today should listen and learn from people like yourself. Good luck for the future.

I do sometimes get invited to give talks to young people. It's nice. It makes a change from people running a mile when they see me coming smile.png

Garro, I sadly don't know you, but I am never the less so pleased that you are seven years clean and I hope that you have many more. We only have one shot at this life (as far as we know) and it is far better if you can enjoy and share it with happiness. The very best of luck to you.

You are so right - we have to make the best of this life because it might be all there is and there probably are no refunds.

Thanks Bagwan

Edited by garro

congrats and yes it doesnt happen til we are ready to surrender. I will always remember a guy in a meeting many years ago say "that trying to get an alcoholic to stop drinking was like trying to teach a horse to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the hell out of the horse" It sounded very funny with his Irish accent and its so true.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your 7 years. STAY STONG.

My son spent a month at Thamkrabok earlier this year, unfortunately he is still struggling with his addiction.

Your comment that it was the fact that you were "ready to do whatever it took to stay sober" that made the difference is dead on.

I keep praying my son will decide to "do whatever it takes" to stay clean, but it hasn't happened yet...

• Like 2

congrats and yes it doesnt happen til we are ready to surrender. I will always remember a guy in a meeting many years ago say "that trying to get an alcoholic to stop drinking was like trying to teach a horse to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the hell out of the horse" It sounded very funny with his Irish accent and its so true.

I hadn't heard that saying before. I like it.

I once ended up on the streets, begging and sitting in my own shit, and I still thought I knew better than everyone else.

I had to stop fighting but once I did it all became easy.

Congratulations on your 7 years. STAY STONG.

My son spent a month at Thamkrabok earlier this year, unfortunately he is still struggling with his addiction.

Your comment that it was the fact that you were "ready to do whatever it took to stay sober" that made the difference is dead on.

I keep praying my son will decide to "do whatever it takes" to stay clean, but it hasn't happened yet...

Hi rjcampbe, I've talked to a few people who relapsed after Thamkrabok, but they did manage to get sober afterwards.

It must be really hard on your family but never lose hope.

The fact that he is trying to get clean must mean that there is a part of him that really wants to quit.

Garro, great to hear of other sober people - if nothing else, it conveys the idea that it is possible; to all those who are still struggling with booze (and dying from it). Good to hear positive things of alternative routes to this marvellous thing called sobriety. Just so happens, in a week's time on 7th July to be precise - I will have 45 years of sobriety under my belt. I did it the AA way, but fully accept there are other methods. I think perhaps that you and I share a bit of knowledge - it's the 1st drink that does the damage to those of us who can't handle booze. Could be as high as 3% of the population - but no-one knows for sure.

16,430 or so "Just for todays" - builds into a quality of life that is beyond our wildest dreams. Greetings to someone on the same journey.

Wow - you are sober longer than I've been alive. That is truly remarkable. I have a great deal of respect for AA, and I still recommend to those people who I think would benefit from it. I think in a very real way - all the paths converge. The key for me in this new life has been letting go and acceptance.