BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAJIC

What Method Of Quitting Smoking Was Most Successful For You?

Which Quit Smoking Method Has Had The Best Results?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have just ordered some Electronic Cigarettes, with yet another attempt at quitting the smoking habit (hopefully for good this time)

and I was wondering with all the helpful remedies available,which ones have the best chance of success,I realise that this may be a small Poll,and lots of Members will have tried to give up at various times and more than one method,but I thought it might be interesting to know which method has been most helpful?

Of course you may have tried something not on my list,but I'm sure many members would like to hear what did it for you? and even what was a waste of time and money.

Almost forgot to mention I have given up for a couple of 3 month periods,thought I had cracked it,had one cigarette and promptly started again,vainly thinking I still had the addiction under control.........

Hypnosis. One 55 minute session and I was done. Haven't smoked for 20 years now.

Hypnosis. One 55 minute session and I was done. Haven't smoked for 20 years now.

Wow amazing! I tried it for 2 x1 hour sessions the Hypnotist most certainly had me under the influence,but the cost of it many years ago (£30 per hour) put me off going indefinately.Maybe I should have carried on with it,regardless of the cost.

One of my pals went to a hypnotist in Feb and it didn't work. She admitted that she wasn't committed to the process before she started and was only trying to please her husband.

Another pal of mine has a business selling the electronic lighters, he reports good results, and he has a steady customer base, a mutual friend of ours buys from him and he hasn't smoked since November last year, another friend here in CM is doing very well with the electronic cigarettes.

My Mum quit after a heart attack, before that she went down from 20 to 5 a day, in her words, the one's she enjoyed. To go from 5 to zero wasn't a major problem for her in the end.

So you could go cold turkey, or use the electronics, or use a combination of electronics and the one's you enjoy, up to you. The most important thing though is that you need to want it, as my first pal proved.

I can say Chantix really works, even if you aren't committed,

the desire or even thought to have a sig goes away.

But as the medicine is finished, i kept smokin.

I cant make up my mind if i want stop smoke or die

I had a friend who was a clinical psychologist who used hypnosis in his work and he taught me how to self-hypnotise (which is what all hypnosis really is) so I didn't have any doubts about its effectiveness. I'd also promised my Mum, who was suffering from lung cancer at the time, that I'd give up.

I first used the biggest nicotine patch I could get and the slowly tapered down. I fell "off the wagon" twice but finally stopped for good. Now stopped for 15 yearsclap2.gif

I could not be hypnotised, but I did try.

I had a friend who was a clinical psychologist who used hypnosis in his work and he taught me how to self-hypnotise (which is what all hypnosis really is) so I didn't have any doubts about its effectiveness. I'd also promised my Mum, who was suffering from lung cancer at the time, that I'd give up.

That emotional key is very important, many people I know quit due to an emotional key, only yesterday Mercedes Girl was saying she quit because she picked up her baby one day and could smell smoke on his head. My ex wife quit for exactly the same reason.

You can't underplay the effect of emotion when it comes to quitting.

One of my pals went to a hypnotist in Feb and it didn't work. She admitted that she wasn't committed to the process before she started and was only trying to please her husband.

Another pal of mine has a business selling the electronic lighters, he reports good results, and he has a steady customer base, a mutual friend of ours buys from him and he hasn't smoked since November last year, another friend here in CM is doing very well with the electronic cigarettes.

My Mum quit after a heart attack, before that she went down from 20 to 5 a day, in her words, the one's she enjoyed. To go from 5 to zero wasn't a major problem for her in the end.

So you could go cold turkey, or use the electronics, or use a combination of electronics and the one's you enjoy, up to you. The most important thing though is that you need to want it, as my first pal proved.

Many thanks,some things to consider.

I can say Chantix really works, even if you aren't committed, the desire or even thought to have a sig goes away. But as the medicine is finished, i kept smokin. I cant make up my mind if i want stop smoke or die

I have never heard of Chantix,is it something like Zyban?

I hope you are joking on your last line!

I first used the biggest nicotine patch I could get and the slowly tapered down. I fell "off the wagon" twice but finally stopped for good. Now stopped for 15 yearsclap2.gif

Never give up,giving up! seems to be part of the answer.

None of the given choices. I decided to stop in ONE day and never smoked any since, simply because I suddenly started to hate myself. No other choice then to quit immediately, simple.

YOU decide ! (most smokers who want to quit don't know this)

You want to stop ? Then stop. (otherwise you don't really want to stop just fool yourself)

No need no fukkin therapist for this.

I just gave them up one day, i used normal chewing gum went through 2-3 packs a day. When i went back to the gym i didnt smoke as much so this also helped. I had always said id give up when ciggys reached £5 when i started they were 70p.