BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAJIC

What Method Of Quitting Smoking Was Most Successful For You?

Which Quit Smoking Method Has Had The Best Results?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cold turkey at age 40 after smoking for over 22 years. Haven't had one now going on 26 years. It was hard to do but also the cheapest way to do it.

E cigs for me with 0mg of nicotine ,3 weeks now ,was also a huge green smoker of 18 yrs as well, feeling extremely good and hope to continue

I was a chain smoker, 40 a day from the age of 18-25, and as so well put by another poster, the cigarette was my friend. I couldn't imagine sitting still without a cigarette, what on earth would my hands do?

In my misspent youth my friends and I did a lot of communal smoking with bongs, big poster tubes, inhaling large amounts of hot tobacco and other substances etc into our lungs, ripping them apart, inducing coughing fits.Youth is certainly wasted on the young in some cases!

It took me a year to quit, and only then because one day I rode my bike to Bristol library and just couldn't breathe. I collapsed into the dank Victorian public toilets outside and thought I was going to croak.What a sordid place to be found, graffiti, smells of urine and broken toilets! I was only 25.

The doctor said I had the early signs of bronchitis on the X ray but actually I think I had, and still do, mild emphysema.The symptoms surface from time to time.

I quit by chewing gum and peanuts for a year, I could hardly see the floor of my Morris Minor for empty wrappers.It worked,all the time I was thinking,' I must not think about cigarettes' , so of course I'm still thinking about them! And then one day I realised - 'Hey I haven't thought about cigarettes at all today!' I never missed them again.

Here in Thailand I had a friend who died of emphysema, in his mid 70s his last few years were hell.

Apart from the measures mentioned so far, perhaps addicts should be taken on a tour of wards full of terminal lung cancer and emphysema patients. The current Ministry of Health's ad with the guy with no voice box croaking away is pretty scary too.

I had a friend who was a clinical psychologist who used hypnosis in his work and he taught me how to self-hypnotise (which is what all hypnosis really is) so I didn't have any doubts about its effectiveness. I'd also promised my Mum, who was suffering from lung cancer at the time, that I'd give up.

It works the other way as well.

I hypnotized myself in believing that smoking ain't that bad and probably live till my nineties on two packs a day.

Champix. It's very easy but can have side effects for some people. I had no problems but a couple friends did (it still helped them quit though).

I went from 60 a day to having absolutely no desire to smoke in a week.

tried Champix for 9-10 days, consumption of cigarettes increased, stopped Champix.

same result using Zyban.

Swedish snuff helped me, probably why it's banned in the rest of EU.
6 years now....

snus_portion8.jpg

Champix. It's very easy but can have side effects for some people. I had no problems but a couple friends did (it still helped them quit though).

I went from 60 a day to having absolutely no desire to smoke in a week.

tried Champix for 9-10 days, consumption of cigarettes increased, stopped Champix.

same result using Zyban.

You arent using it right then,

3 weeks keep smoking as usual, then stop.

In practice, the urge or even thought of sig go down hill after 3 weeks

The first time I gave up I simply stopped and used will power and determination. It was a close run thing but I was successful. The craving lasted about three weeks. I found chewing fruit sweets helpful. Twenty years later I started again when I accepted the offer of a cigarette at a Christmas party. It took another four years to become abstinent although on this second occasion I gradually reduced my cigarette intake over several weeks until I got it down to two a day ,before quitting completely. On reflection I think that stopping abruptly was easier but both attempts were difficult. I celebrated my 25th anniversary of abstinence in February this year. I read somewhere that after 25 years of abstinence your life expectancy will revert to the same age as a non smoker of comparable age.

A friend of mine used many different methods over a period of twenty years and failed on every occasion. Finally, she used a hypnosis tape and stopped without much difficulty.

A 20 year break...then took it up again....remarkable

I think it serves to demonstrate that even after so many years you still have to be on your guard. I enjoyed being a smoker and would smoke again if there were no health consequences.

I bought a good e cig last week in the EU and have gone from 10 down to 1 or 2 a day over night. i dont think i could cold turkey. i have tried using the crappy e cigs from pattaya but they dont woek well. i know others that have had similiar experience. good luck

I will post a update on my E-Cigarettes,when they arrive

The realization that l was pumping poison into my blood stream every time l lit up, poison and addictive ingredients which the manufacturers are legally permitted to put into their product in order to get me hooked (and eventually Killed). Once l accepted the truth, it was quite easy to quit. One year now.

I too would definitely recommend a look at Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. A classic. In the end I did it cold turkey eight years ago, easily smoking two packs a day. I adapted a few mantras from Alcoholics Anonymous: the first cigarette is the one that does the damage, one is too many and twenty is not enough, if I don't have the first I can't have the second, put it off for an hour......

I wanted to smoke every day for the first two years. It was a battle and at times I was on my knees begging for strength. There is no doubt that on a number of occasions I was saved by no smoking policies being in place in restaurants - so could stay inside when the smokers in my company had to go outside after eating.

Then it left me altogether and hasn't bothered me for a long time. Quitting is one the smartest things you will ever do for yourself and your loved ones. Good luck

When someones comes around I can have a beer and a smoke.That day or night I will smoke a packet of smokes.No one comes around much because that is the way I like it. I might smoke a packet very 2 or 3 months.I could never smoke again would not worry me but I like to have a smoke with a drink occassionally

I envy people like you,who can pick up smoking,and drop it for long periods. All it does for me is start me back on the slippery slope again. I know now that one cigarette will always be one too many for me!

tried a dozen methods, no success bah.gif

There's the hardcore smokers and the dabblers,and weekend smokers,and you may not believe this: I had a Locum Doctor once, who voluntarily told me he has a few cigarettes at weekends. But I guess we both must be the Hardcore smoker types!