What Method Of Quitting Smoking Was Most Successful For You?

MAJIC

Which Quit Smoking Method Has Had The Best Results?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been five or six days without a proper cigarette now. I started using a very basic e-cigarette called a Socialite (from the UK) but the nicotine dose was very low so I was getting a little tetchy at times.

Now I have my EVOD vaping kit with 6mg nicotine liquid I feel less tetchy.

I think giving up the real cigarettes was the first step big step and I feel much more optimistic about totally beating my nicotine addiction.

Congratulations on being six days without a cigarette! However, a cigarette is just one type of nicotine delivery system, as are e-cigarettes, gum, patches, and various other forms of tobacco such as snuff. While the act of lighting, holding, fondling the cigarette, tasting and smelling the smoke, feeling the sensation of smoke filling the lungs adds a layer of complexity to the addiction, one can be profoundly addicted to nicotine via any delivery system. So, if switching temporarily to eCigarettes is a helpful transition to abstinence, I am all for it. I don't know what the word "tetchy" means, but I assume it has something to do with being anxious, "jittery" and irritable. That experience comes from a deprivation of nicotine, not a deprivation of tobacco or cigarettes, per se.

The bad news is that no matter how you approach it, sooner or later, you are going to have to make peace with the idea that you are gong to feel like crap for awhile. Although there are things you can do to soften that discomfort somewhat, there is nothing you can do to prevent it entirely, at least not while you are alive.

The good news, however, is that (1) You CAN tolerate the anxiety and other withdrawal symptoms. While they are uncomfortable (OK, granted, very uncomfortable), no one has ever died form them, and they cannot actually cause you to smoke a cigarette. Only you can do that my choosing to light up. And (2). Withdrawal symptoms are temporary. If you can just put up with them and/or distract yourself from them for a couple of weeks, and then be on guard for challenges the first couple of months, you will be home free.

The other important thing to be very aware of is that there is no cure for this addiction. You can arrest it--and hopefully keep it arrested life-long--by not lighting up, but you cannot cure it. In other words, it is highly unlikely that you could ever smoke a few fags "just for the hell of it" without reactivating the addiction.

So, yeah, use patches or gum or eCigarettes or whatever gets you through the night, but get used to it, Dude, sooner or later, it's just YOU. You are the one who has to decide to abstain from nicotine in whatever form . . . or not. And it is up to you to choose NOT.

It's been five or six days without a proper cigarette now. I started using a very basic e-cigarette called a Socialite (from the UK) but the nicotine dose was very low so I was getting a little tetchy at times.

I think giving up the real cigarettes was the first step big step and I feel much more optimistic about totally beating my nicotine addiction.

• 5 weeks later...

I was a smoker for 31 years (im 46 now). I have a daughter and I swore I would give up when she was born.........I didnt I just moved my smoking to outside.

8 weeks ago whilst playing ball with my now 5 year old daughter I had to sit down and have a rest (and ciggie), my daughter said "Papa I dont like you smoking, if you didn't smoke you would have more energy to play with me"

From that moment I quit! Wednesday 11th June will mark 60 full days of no smoking!!

I was a smoker for 31 years (im 46 now). I have a daughter and I swore I would give up when she was born.........I didnt I just moved my smoking to outside.

8 weeks ago whilst playing ball with my now 5 year old daughter I had to sit down and have a rest (and ciggie), my daughter said "Papa I dont like you smoking, if you didn't smoke you would have more energy to play with me"

From that moment I quit! Wednesday 11th June will mark 60 full days of no smoking!!

Well done. Excellent work Zonka. Keep it up.

Today is 4 months for me after 35 odd years (I'm 51). I gave up on my daughters 16th birthday. At two months I still thought about it most days but now I can go a few days at a time without thinking about it, and can watch my friends smoke without feeling jealous now. I missed them so much at first but am now getting used to a ciggy free life. No cough and no phlegm. Whenever I had a cold or the flu it would always go to my chest and take 3 weeks to clear. I'd take strong painkillers just so I could have a cigarette; it's amazing what the nicotine beast gets you to put up with. We don't stink any more either. Recently in a dream I had a cigarette - I was very disappointed with myself, and so relieved when I woke up and realised I hadn't.

How's it going?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You need a good reason to quit smoking then you need the will power, i went cold turkey took 2 goes the first 3 months were fine as your very determined then you can wain, if you can get past the first 2 years your almost there.

You seem to be missing the most successful method in your poll, for some strange reason.

Allen Carrs easy way book. Hands down the winner by a country mile.

Fri 29 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm

First of all, I support whatever works. Over the years, I have heard good things about Carrs book, and I am happy if any one person or any one million persons find that it does the trick for them.

However, the title is offputting to me personally. It took me literally five years of stopping and starting and many different strategies before I finally made it. I can say that none of the strategies worked, or that they all worked, or that cumulatively over a period of time I was finally ready, and that it was readiness was the thing that finally turned the corner. The problem is, we really don't know what "ready" or how to establish it. I never found it "easy," and while I found some methods helpful, I never found one one method that was especially effective. It was always hard for me, and cumulatively, quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done, harder than stopping drinking and using cocaine. OK, so Carrs claims that stopping smoking is "easy," but the experience of millions of people is that it is anything but easy. Personally, I think it is unkind to send some to a gun fight armed with nothing but a knife. Know your enemy and you have a better chance of defeating him!

I also have to say that I am inherently suspicious of methods that use nicotine to cure a nicotine addiction such as gum, the patch, snuff (smokeless tobacco), and the newest fad , "eCigarettes." The concept is nothing new. Heroin was first used as a cure for morphine addiction. Methadone "may" be a better choice than heroin in terms of "harm reduction" to the addict and to society, but it merely substitutes one addiction for another and doesn't really solve the problem.

Again, I support whatever works, and I applaud anyone's success not matter how they achieve it. Just do the research. Please don't be naive, realize that eCigarettes (et al) may be no different than switching from bourbon to vodka.

You need a good reason to quit smoking then you need the will power, i went cold turkey took 2 goes the first 3 months were fine as your very determined then you can wain, if you can get past the first 2 years your almost there.

One of the most destructive, silly-ass claims to come along in the 20th Century was the half-baked notion that "will power doesn't work," as perpetrated by psychologists, the helping profession, phsrinks, self-help gurus and organizations such as Alcoholics Anonymous. It simply isn't true. You need buckets and barrels and cisterns full of will power (and "won't power). Every time there is a temptation to light up a ciggie or a doobie or pick up a drink, you are confronted with a choice: Follow the path of least resistance and smoke or drink or use . . . or say "no." In the early stages of being smoke-free, you may have to make that choice hundreds of times a day. And it doesn't matter whether your choice is of the "white knuckle" variety, or if you sit mindfully and breath gently until the craving passes. Gradually you are tempted less often. Eventually the cravings and the temptations subside and only resurface occasionally, but even then you are confronted with that same choice and it requires will power to say no. it is not unusual for people with years, even decade of being smoke-free to reactive a two-pack a day addiction out of a curiosity or boredom or stress or some unusual temptation.

However, this notion that you can't do it by will-power is only "half-baked." It is perfectly valid with the other half of the half-baked, and it makes sense if you change it to "You can't do it by will power alone." It is the "alone" business that makes it a valid and powerful concept. Will power is important, but you probably need LOTS of other stuff as well. It will probably be necessary to change your environment, change your routines and lifestyle, possibly change the people you hang out with. Having a plan in the overall sense is important as is having a plan for how you are gong to deal with cravings. A formal or informal support network is very important as well. Education and knowing what you are up against (not being naive) is also crucial. Some people are going to need professional help. The over-arching take-away is that abstinence needs to become your first priority in the beginning and for a good, long time into the future.

Understandably, people would prefer to just put the nasty ciggies down, walk away and go back to their life as if nothing had happened. I have met very few people who that has worked for, but on the other hand met many who relapsed because they were unwilling to do all the things necessary to achieve a long-lasting and meaningful abstinence.

Good luck!

Aloha,

Rex

Like tartempion above, heart problems - a different mindset takes over when the doc tells you that you have suffered a minor heart attack. There's a sudden clarity of mind, and any excuses you may have dragged up in the past about having just one more, are suddenly diminished into nothingness. It's like there's nothing within your visionary scope anymore except total and complete abstinence, a kind of cleanliness - it's a great feeling to see it all so clearly, but a pity it took a serious health problem to engage it. So, more than three months now, no smokes and no booze. Not really missing the booze all that much, but I do enjoy a puff, so the ecig helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thu 11 Sep 2014, 11:10 am

There needn't be any "debate" about "e-cigarettes." Everyone should be happy when anyone is able to quite smoking . . . by whatever means!

However, without getting into any "debate" about e-cigs, i would strongly caution people about being naive about what they are getting into. E-cigs are NOT a method of quitting smoking, they are merely trading one nicotine delivery system for another one that (that may "possibly" offer some advantages over smoking tobacco). The same can be said for gum, the patch and other forms of tobacco such as snuff or "smokeless" tobacco taken orally. They all have their advantages and disadvantages over smoking tobacco cigarettes, especially with regard to secondary smoke and fire hazard. However, "raw" nicotine causes hypertension, coronary heart disease, and "metabolic syndrom" which is the precursor to diabetes and other health issues. "Smokeless tobacco" reduces the risk of lung cancer while increases the risk of oral cancers. From what I have read, having lung cancer is a walk in the park compared to aggressive oral cancers.

Bottom line, sooner or later, one way or another, a smoker has to stop smoking, that is stop using nicotine, and never again pick up another cigarette lest he risk reactivating the addiction. Period. It hardly matters whether he stops smoking tobacco cigarettes, e-cigarettes, the patch, gum, smokeless tobacco or whatever. At some point the "moment of truth" needs to be faced.

"Tapering off" systems of quitting are as old as tobacco addiction itself and have been used for as long as people have been trying to quit. Some of these are quite ingenious. For example, while you are decreasing the number of cigarettes you smoke per day, store you pack of cigies in a place that is inconvenient to get to, wrap your pack in paper, and secure it with rubber bands. This is supposed to slow you down a little and give yourself the opportunity to "talk yourself off the ledge." Substitute nicotine delivery systems are just another method of tapering off.

If tapering off systems work for you, great! clap2.gif However, two things to keep in mind:

1. In the end, most people who quite successfully, do so "cold turkey" and tapering off systems don't work for most people.

2. Even if you use a tapering off method, sooner or later, that moment of truth, you you have go go cold turkey anyway. Sooner or later you can have any more nicotine from whatever source.

Good luck! Congratulations and long life to anyone who is even making the effort to do this!

One of my uncles was a chain smoker and he couldn't quit smoking since he had been smoking for 40 years at least. Till he was on brink of death a couple years ago and went through a major op. He totally stopped smoking since then. Now he's healthier and still alive kicking.

If you treasure your life and wouldn't want risk going through unnecessary medical procedure in the future... then quit smoking. You can use this as motivation.

Suk suk na!☺️

• 2 weeks later...

Having quite several time by just saying no - only to light up again a few months later in some bar - made decision in 1984 while in Conakry where locally they were only available at ridiculous price of about $100 a pack (this when they were still cheap normally) decided not to order new supply from Europe as willpower reinforcement. Have remained off them since.

Having quite several time by just saying no - only to light up again a few months later in some bar - made decision in 1984 while in Conakry where locally they were only available at ridiculous price of about $100 a pack (this when they were still cheap normally) decided not to order new supply from Europe as willpower reinforcement. Have remained off them since.

Thu 25 Sep 2014, 3:03 pm

Good for you, Lopbur! Congratulations!

Maybe one day I will get around to reading this book that so many people recommend, "It's easy to Quit Smoking" or whatever it is called. There is obviously something I am missing, but the title turns me off. In my experience, quitting was anything but easy, in some ways it was the most difficult thing that I ever did, even more so that stopping drinking and using cocaine. And it's not just me. Personally, I don't think it is an effective strategy to take on something difficult and pretend that it is easy. I too relapsed and relapsed and relapsed off & on for five years before I got it right. Perhaps if when I first started, I had understood, as I do now, that nicotine is an addictive drug, for many people more acutely addictive than heroin I might have gotten unhooked sooner. At least with heroin, you don't need to keep dosing yourself every hour to keep the drug at optimal levels in your blood. Looking back, it seems awfully naive, but I simply didn't get it that if I had one even puff of a cigarette weeks or months or even years later, I risked reactivating the addiction. How many times I had that experience of sitting in a bar and out of boredom or curiosity or stress or whatever, deciding to have a smoke. That happened one time after I had been smoke-free for one year! And it happened to me over and over again after shorter periods of quitting; one day, two days, two weeks, a month or two. Somehow, I maintained this delusion or blind spot about it. Famous news anchor, Peter Jennings had been smoke-free for ten years. Then under the stress of reporting on the "911" attacks, he started smoking again. Three years later, he died from lung cancer!

The bottom line is, if you are addicted to nicotine, you can never, ever again have a cigarette; not even an experimental puff "just to see what it would be like after all these months."

Thanks for sharing your story Lomburi. Good luck to you guys who are stopping now!

That "experimental puff" is the killer. I've seen (and experienced) many times how it ruins good intentions. I'm heading for 5 months smoke-free, but that niggly bloody urge to light a cig keeps creeping up on me. Sometimes I think it's the habit of the physical action of smoking rather than nicotine popping by to say hello. Whatever, a puff on my e-cig (nil nicotine liquid) helps it pass quite pleasantly. It's not too often, though, so that tells me that anyone who's gone the distance should be able to handle it. Just totally and completely push aside any slight thought of a puff on a cig - destroy it the moment it pops into your mind - terminate it with extreme prejudice.

So, yep, willpower. Some might say I'm weak because I have a crutch in the e-cig. Well, whatever floats your boat. My e-cig liquid contains no nicotine, so now it's just the pleasurable pastime of vaping. I don't need a crutch because I have the most powerful incentive of all. The desire to spend a bit more time on this planet. There'll be no backslide, no experimental puffs as my next minor heart attack could be the last.

My best wishes to those who take the plunge.

Wit.

Fri 26 Sep 2014, 11:12 am

Hi IBM,

Congratulations on 5 months smoke-free, and for resisting those urges! It is very important to keep reminding ourselves that EVERY full-blown relapse begins with that first puff, hit, drink or whatever. That is not to say that "just one puff" in every and all cases leads to relapse (although in the case of nicotine, it is highly likely), but there is no relapse that ever happened without the first puff! Never take the first puff and you will never relapse!

I don't think eCigarettes are a "crutch." However, I was quite surprised to hear you say they contain no nicotine. I don't really no that much about them. Is that true? I was under the impression that they were just an alternative nicotine delivery system like the patch or like nicotine gum.

Can anyone clear that up?

There is a wide range of liquids available to put into your e-cig system (and there is a wide range of systems, many of which bear no resemblance to a cig). The variety of flavours is quite intriguing, even bacon. But what's most important is the nicotine strength of the liquid. It ranges from zero nicotine (most people who vape don't do nicotine at all, just vape the flavours :)) to a measure of 24, which is the strength of Marlboro Red. It can get stronger, I believe, but that's for the hardcore smokers.

There are questions hanging over the manufacturers of the liquids and the ingredients they use - but other threads discuss this at length. No need to replicate the arguments here, other than to warn anyone thinking of vaping to DO YOUR HOMEWORK. I have found no issues so far, but until the business is properly regulated, I will remain vigilant.

Oh, thanks for that. I had no idea. Bacon flavor, huh? Sounds disgusting! Yuck! Oh, well. To each his or her own.

If an e-ciggie with inactive ingredients (no nicotine) helps, you can probably get the same effect and save a bit of $$$ with using ordinary cinnamon sticks as "dummy cigarettes."

cinnamon_short.jpg

Even the fancy gourmet kind are dirt-cheap and available everywhere. The more fancy, the more perfectly smooth and cylindrical they are, although even the stubby, ugly ones do the same job. They are hollow so you can drag and inhale through them, keep them in your mouth and suck on them all day. The cinnamon gives you a mild, spicy flavor that lasts. You can hold and fondle them the same as you would with a cigarette. Best of all, no salt, sugar or fat! Probably serve pretty much the same function as an "inert" e-ciggie. I found them very helpful.

BTW, I own no stock or have any other interest in any cinnamon company. Heheheh . . . ;o}

There is a wide range of liquids available to put into your e-cig system (and there is a wide range of systems, many of which bear

no resemblance to a cig). The variety of flavours is quite intriguing, even bacon. But what's most important is the nicotine strength of the liquid. It ranges from zero nicotine (most people who vape don't do nicotine at all, just vape the flavours smile.png) to a measure of 24, which is the strength of Marlboro Red. It can get stronger, I believe, but that's for the hardcore smokers.

There are questions hanging over the manufacturers of the liquids and the ingredients they use - but other threads discuss this at length. No need to replicate the arguments here, other than to warn anyone thinking of vaping to DO YOUR HOMEWORK. I have found no issues so far, but until the business is properly regulated, I will remain vigilant.

There is a wide range of liquids available to put into your e-cig system (and there is a wide range of systems, many of which bear no resemblance to a cig). The variety of flavours is quite intriguing, even bacon. But what's most important is the nicotine strength of the liquid. It ranges from zero nicotine (most people who vape don't do nicotine at all, just vape the flavours smile.png) to a measure of 24, which is the strength of Marlboro Red. It can get stronger, I believe, but that's for the hardcore smokers.

I didn't care for the quality of the cigs here in Thailand, but obviously I was addicted after decades of smoking so I kept on trying different brands even though all of them made me feel terrible.

I saw a mate of mine vaping here, I had never heard of it, but he quit a 3 pack a day habit overnight, so I ordered mine and haven't had a real cig going on 10 months now. What a difference too. I planned to quit entirely and now cut Low strength liquid down with 0%, 50/50 mix. I do like smoking though, so may carry on vaping with straight 0%.

Pretty hypocritical and ridiculous that government here says no to vaping or, at best, maintains a head in the sand position, but you can still buy a pack of fag$ and inhale known carcinogens and other lovely toxins and that's ok. Maybe public health really isn't their priority. whistling.gif

That "experimental puff" is the killer. I've seen (and experienced) many times how it ruins good intentions. I'm heading for 5 months smoke-free, but that niggly bloody urge to light a cig keeps creeping up on me. Sometimes I think it's the habit of the physical action of smoking rather than nicotine popping by to say hello. Whatever, a puff on my e-cig (nil nicotine liquid) helps it pass quite pleasantly. It's not too often, though, so that tells me that anyone who's gone the distance should be able to handle it. Just totally and completely push aside any slight thought of a puff on a cig - destroy it the moment it pops into your mind - terminate it with extreme prejudice.

So, yep, willpower. Some might say I'm weak because I have a crutch in the e-cig. Well, whatever floats your boat. My e-cig liquid contains no nicotine, so now it's just the pleasurable pastime of vaping. I don't need a crutch because I have the most powerful incentive of all. The desire to spend a bit more time on this planet. There'll be no backslide, no experimental puffs as my next minor heart attack could be the last.

Wit.

Your post triggered a memory of a book and I can't remember the name. But I think the guy had it figured out.

He pointed out that smokers believe a lie that a cigarette is their friend. They like what it does for them when they smoke, and they always want to have it close. He also pointed out what a lie that is when they do so much harm physically and financially.

He contended that only when someone woke up and rejected the lie, and truly saw the cigarette as an enemy could he stop it. He had to learn to hate it and quit cold turkey. When he had a craving, he had to think of the truth and remember the lie and reject it.

I know that the book was successful for many people who had to have a change of paradigm. It is very hard to decide to hate cigarettes, but with rational thinking it can be done and then it's much easier to just quit.

My thing many years ago was similar to that, and I also began to hate it that they could control me. No little white stick was going to control me.

So I got mad and quit. Anger at them helps.

Wit.

Your post triggered a memory of a book and I can't remember the name. But I think the guy had it figured out.

He pointed out that smokers believe a lie that a cigarette is their friend. They like what it does for them when they smoke, and they always want to have it close. He also pointed out what a lie that is when they do so much harm physically and financially.

He contended that only when someone woke up and rejected the lie, and truly saw the cigarette as an enemy could he stop it. He had to learn to hate it and quit cold turkey. When he had a craving, he had to think of the truth and remember the lie and reject it.

I know that the book was successful for many people who had to have a change of paradigm. It is very hard to decide to hate cigarettes, but with rational thinking it can be done and then it's much easier to just quit.

My thing many years ago was similar to that, and I also began to hate it that they could control me. No little white stick was going to control me.

Same thing can apply with ex-wives.

• 5 months later...

Wit.

Allen Carr's Easy way to quit smoking.

Brilliant book.

I have the pdf version and if anyone need it PM me.

Not sure it works with everyone, but it worked with me.

When I reached 1 pack of Marlboro a day I decided it was too much.

I bought this book and stopped smoking.

That was 23 years ago.

Actually I did not read the book till the end. I stopped smoking before to read it all...

post-12654-14270415542028_thumb.jpg

Archived