What Method Of Quitting Smoking Was Most Successful For You?

MAJIC

Which Quit Smoking Method Has Had The Best Results?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After yet another dose of bronchitis I just stopped completely over 3 years ago.

I had smoked for 45 years and said that's it. Then discovered I had C.O.P.D. (emphysema pretty badly, so I did the best thing)

Cold Turkey & Will Power worked for me.

I did the will power route but only succeeded after I had quit drinking. I did that via AA and I modified the mantras: the first cigarette is the one that does the damage; one is too many and 20 is not enough etc. Ultimately I found quitting much more challenging than with other things like booze and gambling - I distinctly recall wanting to smoke every day for the first two years and then it just went and I have never been bothered since. That was about 10 years ago. I have no doubt quitting drinking had helped but also the developing restrictions on where you could smoke really helped - so being in the UK and not being able to smoke inside a restaurant, for instance, probably saved me. Good luck, it's worth persevering with and the madness will eventually leave you.

The gum works great if and only if you follow the instructions. Chew the strong gum (as the instructions suggest) at the intervals they suggest and decrease to lower nicotine levels as required. You can't just do as you want and have a few pieces now and again.

If you don't follow the plan don't bother as it will not work.

I tried it a few times but never followed the plan as I did it my way, stupid ! When I followed the instructions exactly it worked perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying now. I was more of a social smoker a couple of years ago and always believed I can quit easily and I always did for months or a year. However last 3 years since everyone smoked at work I picked up and I cant quite more than 2-3 days. I end up catching myself thinking about it and then drive to the shop to pick up a few cigs. It is psychological more than physical I think. With alcohol it is even worse I can go through a pack or close to that in the evening. It is time, I want to do it cold turkey, I dont want to substitute one addiction with the other. I havent smoked for 3 days but picked up 2 cigs today. Time to start fresh.

You have done it before. Stopping is easy. Staying stopped is the supreme challenge.

Firstly, you must have a desire to stop. You have that.

Staying stopped. I did this more than 30 years ago. It is much more difficult that stopping drinking.

I tried many times - cold turkey to other methods.

Finally, I went to a qualified medical doctor who used acupuncture & I followed his advice to the letter.

I had to cease smoking about 1 day before the acupuncture - extremely challenging but I did it.

Then, there were several sessions of acupuncture - no physical pain at all.

I felt terrible - "depressed"??? - but the desire to smoke again had gone.

A BLESSING!

I'm trying now. I was more of a social smoker a couple of years ago and always believed I can quit easily and I always did for months or a year. However last 3 years since everyone smoked at work I picked up and I cant quite more than 2-3 days. I end up catching myself thinking about it and then drive to the shop to pick up a few cigs. It is psychological more than physical I think. With alcohol it is even worse I can go through a pack or close to that in the evening. It is time, I want to do it cold turkey, I dont want to substitute one addiction with the other. I havent smoked for 3 days but picked up 2 cigs today. Time to start fresh.

Everyone fails, part of trying. No one does it clinically first go.

I think it is mostly mental too. I hear the biochemical argument but they just do not account for being "ready". So refocus, have another crack. Want it and be ready!

It is, it issssssss so much better on these cheap seats than those. You will never regret giving up and always wonder why it took so long when you do.!! Easy to say i know. Keep trying.

Good Luck!!

I ceased drinking & smoking - 35 years ago. Started as a young teenager.

Putting the drink down is not easy but it is nothing cf to cigarettes.

You must have a strong desire.

Usually, it takes several attempts.

But, it is well worth it. The ladies will flock to be your companion. You will have to fight them off.

Me thinks that the lady challenge will be too great for you.

Get back on the cigs - a painful death.

BTW, the withdrawal was painful. I used acupuncture administered by an experienced medical practitioner!

• 2 weeks later...

You have done it before. Stopping is easy. Staying stopped is the supreme challenge.

Firstly, you must have a desire to stop. You have that.

Staying stopped. I did this more than 30 years ago. It is much more difficult that stopping drinking.

I tried many times - cold turkey to other methods.

Finally, I went to a qualified medical doctor who used acupuncture & I followed his advice to the letter.

I had to cease smoking about 1 day before the acupuncture - extremely challenging but I did it.

Then, there were several sessions of acupuncture - no physical pain at all.

I felt terrible - "depressed"??? - but the desire to smoke again had gone.

A BLESSING!

How long did that terrible feeling last?

Smoking right now, not really a desire to quit but from a health perspective I'm willing to give it a shot as I really smoke way too much, everyone makes me aware of it continuosly.

You happen to have a contact number for the acupuncturist you used?

The acupuncturist was a qualified medico. I had to cease smoking 24 hours before the first session.

Number of sessions??? I felt terrible, irritable - leave me alone symptoms. I cannot recollect a lot ie 1984.

I had tried aids as available at that time - useless.

I never realised the odour from smoking.

Why did I wish to stop? Intuitively, I knew that it was health related. Six years ago, I got throat cancer. Alcohol & nicotine apparently have a lot to do with throat cancer.

I married shortly afterwards=stressful? Honeymoon was a disaster.

My sister would not allow me into her house & smoke=bitch. Now, I understand.

The best advice I can offer is - just grin & bear bit for as long as it takes. Another relapse only prolongs the pain.

When you finally recover from this terrible addiction, spoil/reward yourself with the saved funds. Holidays/women/katoeys - all of them? Nicotine addiction is far worse than alcohol addiction (I had both) (observe how many drinkers smoke).

Be stubborn - take up jogging.

As they say in AA -"this too shall pass" - ie the craving.

If you "fail", get up, dust yourself & repeat.

Currently, I post on another thread - alcohol.

I am surprise that electronic cigarettes are actually on the poll. In reality it is all about a nicotine addiction that your giving up. Electronic cigarettes just change the delivery method of nicotine.

I have known several people who stopped smoking with hypnosis. They said it is the only method that breaks the mental addiction as the physical addiction is gone in under 4 days once the nicotine bleeds out of your body. It is the mental addiction that brings people back.

The acupuncturist was a qualified medico. I had to cease smoking 24 hours before the first session.

Number of sessions??? I felt terrible, irritable - leave me alone symptoms. I cannot recollect a lot ie 1984.

I had tried aids as available at that time - useless.

I never realised the odour from smoking.

Why did I wish to stop? Intuitively, I knew that it was health related. Six years ago, I got throat cancer. Alcohol & nicotine apparently have a lot to do with throat cancer.

I married shortly afterwards=stressful? Honeymoon was a disaster.

My sister would not allow me into her house & smoke=bitch. Now, I understand.

The best advice I can offer is - just grin & bear bit for as long as it takes. Another relapse only prolongs the pain.

When you finally recover from this terrible addiction, spoil/reward yourself with the saved funds. Holidays/women/katoeys - all of them? Nicotine addiction is far worse than alcohol addiction (I had both) (observe how many drinkers smoke).

Be stubborn - take up jogging.

As they say in AA -"this too shall pass" - ie the craving.

If you "fail", get up, dust yourself & repeat.

Currently, I post on another thread - alcohol.

Ah right, long time ago, will check one of them out to see I can find any easy route to get rid of it, maybe combi of accupuncture and hypnosis.

Just had someone visit the house I rent as I cancel it next month, I don't smell any cigarette but he complained about it and said not a little, uh ok.

Spoil myself even more with the boys, that will be a challenge, just had a threesome the other night and two others the nights before, time for some break again.

Dennis

Read the other thread - drinking.

Join the club - I am in the class of 1984.

Similar principles but smoking more physically addictive.

Good luck!

(Succeed & you will smell like a rose. All the ladies will be clamoring for your time.)

Bonus - you will be a rich man - more $$$, more honeys!)

Dennis

Read the other thread - drinking.

Join the club - I am in the class of 1984.

Similar principles but smoking more physically addictive.

Good luck!

(Succeed & you will smell like a rose. All the ladies will be clamoring for your time.)

Bonus - you will be a rich man - more $$$, more honeys!)

You know what I think, screw it all, better life a short good life then a long one with holding me from everything.

In case I end up with a terrible disease I'll just OD myself with sleeping pills or jump from some tall building (but the anxiety, OMG) wink.png

Ladies, ladies, ladies, you want to cure me too lor? biggrin.png

Ok off to the bar, I've read that it's bad to stop drinking all of a sudden, need to gradually decrease tongue.png

You are a master of your own destiny - specializing in suffering?

Don't talk BS!

You would not have started two threads unless you were serious.

Be a betting man. I will bet you two katoeys to your old lady night.

Fold 'em?

You are a master of your own destiny - specializing in suffering?

Don't talk BS!

You would not have started two threads unless you were serious.

Be a betting man. I will bet you two katoeys to your old lady night.

Fold 'em?

Serious about this anxiety thing yes, and perhaps stop smoking but not a chance I'll quite drinking.

Not sure what you mean with katoeys though, some Thai think all gay are katoey (whether they are ladyboy or not) while others only call ladyboys katoeys.

Never done a woman and never will, nope I just stick to those insane cute 18+ something year old boys, they look so sweet, I would almost love them weren't it for the fact that they are actually bitches and should be treated as such cheesy.gif

Anxiety - that is why many drink & smoke. Just a band-aid.

Mate, it ain't easy! Very tough but worth it. You owe it to your self.

Understand the katoey v gay concept. Gay is not necessarily effeminate or women disguised as man.

I find the acceptance of katoeys admirable.

Understand the katoey v gay concept. Gay is not necessarily effeminate or women disguised as man.

I find the acceptance of katoeys admirable.

Not so very sure about the acceptance of ladyboys in Thailand, sure in Pattaya/Phuket/Bangkok but in more rural areas it's quite a different case, many get laughed at and made fun of. I've seen this on several occassions in south Thailand (talking about 15 years ago) but also in Isaan as recent as this year. Could say that's the reason why they move enmass to tourist areas, however most gays in Thailand do as it can be quite boring in Isaan.

I am surprise that electronic cigarettes are actually on the poll. In reality it is all about a nicotine addiction that your giving up. Electronic cigarettes just change the delivery method of nicotine.

I have known several people who stopped smoking with hypnosis. They said it is the only method that breaks the mental addiction as the physical addiction is gone in under 4 days once the nicotine bleeds out of your body. It is the mental addiction that brings people back.

No need to be surprised that E Cigs are on the Poll,most people don't buy the Nicotine free ones! this is where they have to discover,that E Cigs come with a hidden clause i.e it's all about giving up Nicotine. E Cigs are only a step towards that goal! or could be many other of the available self help methods.

Update from Majic:

Still have not had a smoke of any discription,can't say I haven't thought about it though! 2 years and 4 months! smoke free, the original analysis still holds good:...

"I am a smokeholic and I can never have that one smoke"

E cigarettes helped me get off the cigarettes. I smoked 40 a day for 55 years and I got to the point of difficult breathing .

I have tried all things out there to quit but nothing worked for me!

I haven't had a cigarette for over a year now & I have cut down the nicotine from 18mg to 6 mg and in time I will try & cut it to zero.

They did research in Europe a few months ago and they now say that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine. The problems are caused by all the other chemicals and poison in Cigarettes. With the E Cigs I have found my health has improved 10 fold. coffee1.gif

E cigarettes helped me get off the cigarettes. I smoked 40 a day for 55 years and I got to the point of difficult breathing .

I haven't had a cigarette for over a year now & I have cut down the nicotine from 18mg to 6 mg and in time I will try & cut it to zero.

They did research in Europe a few months ago and they now say that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine. The problems are caused by all the other chemicals and poison in Cigarettes. With the E Cigs I have found my health has improved 10 fold. coffee1.gif

Nicotine is not quite so less harmful as they claim

But I will alter my last post,it was in fact Tobacco that contains 4000 poisons.

"They did research in Europe a few months ago and they now say that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine."

That's nonsense! look it up on Wiki and other web sites, you will find that Nicotine has over 4000 poisons included in it's make up!

Never the less,Congratulation on your success with dealing with your efforts of giving up smoking,..well done!

I will try & find a copy of the article for you.

Nicotine is a single item its the other 4,000 poisons that do the damage.

"They did research in Europe a few months ago and they now say that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine."

That's nonsense! look it up on Wiki and other web sites, you will find that Nicotine has over 4000 poisons included in it's make up!

Never the less,Congratulation on your success with dealing with your efforts of giving up smoking,..well done!

Here you go.

http://news.sky.com/story/1534821/nicotine-no-worse-than-cup-of-coffee-report

Just a little tip don't believe everything on wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

aken from your wiki link.

Are we talking about CHILDREN & NICOTINE.....NO.

The nicotine in the e-liquid of an electronic cigarette can be hazardous to infants and children.[10] In some cases children have become poisoned by topical medicinal creams which contain nicotine.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

Archived