Wholesale Silver Prices in Chiang Mai?

zznoname

• 2 weeks later...

When you buy silver jewelry at the wholesale level, you pay current silver price plus a labor component, , Fine jewelry that weights very lite, such as earrings, has a higher labor component. I dont know about Chiang Mai but I know there is a wholesale silver jewelry district in BKK at Charoen crung road .

If you buy for resale in the US and I am sure the same must be correct for most European countries, make sure the jewelry is marked 925 , which indicates sterling silver..

Right. But we're not interested in the .925 stuff or anything on Charoen Krung road Rd. It's the Hill Tribe stuff and the sellers just weigh it and the only time they talk about "making" cost is when they want to jack up the price. So it's best to know the current BKK silver price per gram and shoot for that. You know, it helps in the dissucion if the sellers believe you know what your talking about 'cause there are others that will pay much more especially the tourist products like Hill stuff. I mean, the "labor componet" as you probabally know, per item is very, very cheap with Hill stuff. The .925 your talking about often required placing stones and .... well more. But still, even that labor in Thailand is cheap and mostly automated. It's all about the silver cost really.

Earings cost more because they are cheaper to start out with. If you're buying "regular" jewerly mostly earings are going to be the cheapest thing, so it's popular and if you sell at the same mariging as a bracelet it would cost way too cheap. So the margin is hihger. Buying resale is a whole other bag of tricks. Now days, it's easier just going through one of the big "cataloge" houses in Thailand it's so processed.

Right. But we're not interested in the .925 stuff or anything on Charoen Krung road Rd. It's the Hill Tribe stuff and the sellers just weigh it and the only time they talk about "making" cost is when they want to jack up the price. So it's best to know the current BKK silver price per gram and shoot for that. You know, it helps in the dissucion if the sellers believe you know what your talking about 'cause there are others that will pay much more especially the tourist products like Hill stuff. I mean, the "labor componet" as you probabally know, per item is very, very cheap with Hill stuff. The .925 your talking about often required placing stones and .... well more. But still, even that labor in Thailand is cheap and mostly automated. It's all about the silver cost really.

Earings cost more because they are cheaper to start out with. If you're buying "regular" jewerly mostly earings are going to be the cheapest thing, so it's popular and if you sell at the same mariging as a bracelet it would cost way too cheap. So the margin is hihger. Buying resale is a whole other bag of tricks. Now days, it's easier just going through one of the big "cataloge" houses in Thailand it's so processed.

Why dont you spend real time with the people who are actually making it

.Then you can decide what is a fair price for the maker and yourself

if the price is higher than you pay with having no or little contact with the makers put it onto the cost at the final end

Easy enough to do and a much fairer price system all round

I was at karen silver in palladium bkk last week. when buying over 1kg it was 26 baht per gram. Want any other info on places to buy ethnic silver pm me.

OK. Thanks. Appreciate the help. We'll check it out next year. Thank.

We're leaving for Vietnam tomorrow. Our silver shopping is all about a few pieces. In Jatuchak this weekend we bought five earnings at 30 Baht/gram. So your prices make sense. Posted above they were quoting mid 20's for larger quantities. It's located across from the Coconut Ice cream and just south of the Indian food (sort of hidden). It's the main inside road (cars allow early) south of the inside motorbike parking. I'd check the place out because the boss dad was not there and only the uninterested son and mom were around, so I'm thinking there are deals to be made below 26.Baht. They have a decent amount of stock.

This map was used for something else, but the location is marked with the RED PIN.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201019037177328844503.0004e0dba9a77f20cb210&msa=0&ll=13.799209,100.550249&spn=0.002574,0.005284

Edited by zznoname

Went to Chatuchak today and paid 30 Bhat/gram for ear rings.

July 5, 2013.

They were asking 35 B and said mid 20's were possible with bulk purchase.

chatuchak is not the place to buy anything if you are serious about wholesale

We're not. Just trying to get the best price for a few items as close to "home" as possible.

Actually,"wholesale" what? 'Cause many shop owners have "real" shops somewhere else and bulk purchasing in Jatuchak is quite common.

Well, at least from watching people hauling "truck loads" away. I mean, what are the seller doing with all the stuff jammed into the place anyway?

Edited by zznoname

if the price is higher than you pay with having no or little contact with the makers put it onto the cost at the final end

Huh?

Besides the fact that we'd rather go out eating and drinking, are you talking about the bosses or the lowly workers?

Fair price is the whole point of this thread. So the OP was about the going rate for BKK silver. Knowing it's cheaper in Chiang Mai and more expensive (hopefully) in the "west".

Fair is all about knowledge. I mean if you don't know what something currently cost, how would you know if the price was "fair"?

Whatever fair means anyway. You know, it's fair 'cause it's cheaper than home or "over there" or it's simply the going rate. Or un-fair 'cause you're paying way more than the going rate, or you're simply someone that has no idea of the worth and a mark.

Anyway.. thanks.

Interesting reading, is there anywhere in CM where you can get blocks or mini ingots of 925 silver. I think its an undervalued commodity and looking at investing a few dollars. I actually prefer it over gold and as we have seen recently, gold isnt doing so well.

Haven't seen it in Chiang Mai. Def not .925 You can buy .999 in dropped "beads" at some of the bigger gold/silver shops down by the river.

Interesting reading, is there anywhere in CM where you can get blocks or mini ingots of 925 silver. I think its an undervalued commodity and looking at investing a few dollars. I actually prefer it over gold and as we have seen recently, gold isnt doing so well.

www.kitco.com for silver and gold prices daily. Remember there is a vast difference between SPOT silver and manufactured silver per gram. I am A RETIRED Jeweler and Deal only with shops that back their goods...For true wholesale Bangkok silver manufactures will sell you silver casting shot and when you need items cast you bring in your casting shot...Of course this would be for big orders,,,Just always buy only if the items are stamped .925 and best buy items Rhodium plated as these will not tarnish...so my advice is only deal with well established jewelers & pay per gram not per piece..the more "labor" in an ITEM the more expensive it will be.

I JUST reed the HILLTRIBE comments...the "HILLTRIBES" make their goods from .999 fine silver...not .925...I see many Hill tribe designs being sold as 925 and it is just heavy sliver plate over copper...A lot of the "traveling shows do this"...buyer beware....Silver prices and Gold prices are universally set in LONDON eachday...there is no such thing as "cheaper" silver or gold...perhaps "less mark-up" makes it seem cheaper.

• Like 1

Huh?

Besides the fact that we'd rather go out eating and drinking, are you talking about the bosses or the lowly workers?

Fair price is the whole point of this thread. So the OP was about the going rate for BKK silver. Knowing it's cheaper in Chiang Mai and more expensive (hopefully) in the "west".

Fair is all about knowledge. I mean if you don't know what something currently cost, how would you know if the price was "fair"?

Whatever fair means anyway. You know, it's fair 'cause it's cheaper than home or "over there" or it's simply the going rate. Or un-fair 'cause you're paying way more than the going rate, or you're simply someone that has no idea of the worth and a mark.

Anyway.. thanks.

well you summed it up in your first sentence you would rather go out eating and drinking than knowing about your product and whats involved,,Its about givng respect

Went to Chatuchak today and paid 30 Bhat/gram for ear rings.

July 5, 2013.

They were asking 35 B and said mid 20's were possible with bulk purchase.

chatuchak is not the place to buy anything if you are serious about wholesale
We're not. Just trying to get the best price for a few items as close to "home" as possible.

Actually,"wholesale" what? 'Cause many shop owners have "real" shops somewhere else and bulk purchasing in Jatuchak is quite common.

Well, at least from watching people hauling "truck loads" away. I mean, what are the seller doing with all the stuff jammed into

Your question was about wholesale silver prices

i had over 30 years experience of wholesale export from asia including Thailand

chatuchak is not a place for wholesalers

if you want advise on business please listen but its obvious you dont want to and you are not really in the market for wholesale

dont be confused by traders seeling you a few items at wholsale prices and the real wholesale export industry

now you have an idea and have been given good advise up to you laddie

wigantojapan

well you summed it up in your first sentence you would rather go out eating and drinking than knowing about your product and whats involved,,Its about givng respect

That's all you got out of my words?

Stupid me. I Thought I was teaching you something.

Maybe we're having a language challange here or maybe this is another internet forum where I "don't belong".

Edited by zznoname

wigantojapan

"dont be confused by traders seeling you a few items at wholsale prices and the real wholesale export industry
now you have an idea and have been given good advise up to you laddie"

wigantojapan

Are you talking to me? This MultiQuote thingy is overly confusing.

Does anyone read the posts?

I wrote #5. Way back up there:

"Now days, it's easier just going through one of the big "cataloge" houses in Thailand it's so processed."

The OP was simply asking if people knew the current price of silver in BKK.

Before anyone responded, I found a quote online.

Found this website:

http://www.goldrate2.../asia/thailand/

Now, I'm totally confused. Dump the Multquote, it's confusing

Edited by zznoname

• 4 months later...

Better to buy not in "wholesale" shops at Kaosan road with "touristic" prices, but directly at factories. Some of them are not far from Bangkok downtown, for example, ELF925 silver factory located near Wongwian Yai BTS. Be prepared to pay taxes though in your country.