A I S /One-2-Call 3G Pre-paid SIM on 2100 MHz 3G: A Review

lomatopo

Nice review. For gods sake, buy a new phone :)

New chinese mtk6589 phones are both cheap and fast. You may also like to play around with baseband options, lotf of them in mtk engineer mode menu.

They support hspa plus (14.4 or 21 mbit depending on antenna design)

Lomatopo...

I'm sure your mate will be happy with what you have set up for him/her. I'm with AIS on a subscription & have

been for over 10 years and I'm satisfied. 1-2-Call has always worked well when my friends come to visit

and they've never had any complaints. I reckon all service providers here are about the same anyway.

Nice write up about this too...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Where are you? All depends on your location with AIS. Lived in Pattaya and Chiang Mai and the service was good, moved to Ban Chang Rayong and upgraded to the new 3G service and could not get any signal in the house. The wife called them up and a few days later our phones went back to the old network. Still bad signal in the house though.

dam_n lucky so n' so, you pay for 3G and get 3G, here in Mukdahan have to pay for 3G...but only get Edge, there is NO AIS 3G and NO Edge package, or so I'm told.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 1

You can check/review AIS 2100 MHz 3G (network: 52003) here:

Note that AIS have admitted to some issues re: the rollout of this new service:

"Somchai Lertsutiwong, AIS's chief marketing officer, acknowledged that the current lower-than-advertised mobile broadband service is due to the complicated transition period of the 3G network roll-out.

AIS now has 5,000 3G base stations on the 2100-megahertz frequency, covering 31 major provinces, with the figure rising to 6,000 covering 67 provinces next month. "

My location is Wireless Road, Bangkok.

I will get this SIM back when my colleague leaves next week.

I installed the SIM in my Google Nexus 4 - a more modern phone than the one I used initially for testing (an SGS1), and the speedtest results are below. By far the best result I’ve seen across DTAC, TrueMove H and AIS.

AIS/One-2-Call offer EDGE+ accounts, mostly time-based. Obviously if you buy a volume-based plan you would use it up faster with 3G, so you are really paying for volume rather than speed.

I'll follow-up with my colleague's experiences, and additional thoughts/comments, including conjecture on why so many people are having issues with this new AIS 2100 MHz 3G service.

post-9615-0-16856100-1372493362_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-90079300-1372493410_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-79059300-1372493425_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Wonderful review. Would you mind telling me what phone is being used? I am considering a Nokia 720. Also, do you know anything about the quality of service on Koh Samui? I know that where I am now (Thung Song, Nakhon si Thammarat) it is pretty poor.

Thanks

I've been testing with two different phones:

1.) A Samsung (AT&T) Captivate, which is an SGS1 variant, ~ 3+ years old, but running Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39E)/custom ROM: SlimBean. This hardware is limited to a max. of 7.2 Mbps.

2.) A stock (rooted) Google Nexus 4, running 4.2.2 (JDQ39).

My colleague has an SGS4 (I9505), stock, un-rooted, which I think is also running 4.2.2/JDQ39.

I am not at all familiar with mobile services on Koh Samui, sorry.

I always recommend talking with neighbors, to see what they are using, and to experiment with SIMs, which cost ~ 50 baht, and most providers have a 49 baht single day plan, which makes it easy and inexpensive to experiment.

Edited by lomatopo

Am I reading correct 7 day for 264 baht? that's $36 a monthdo they have a better monthly rate

The plan my colleague requested for his six day stay is a single, one-time, non-recurring mobile data package which provides unlimited internet usage with a 1 GB fair-use cap and a 64 Kbps fair-use speed limit over seven (7) days. I provided a link, in my OP, to the other packages which are available. One of which is a monthly, recurring 1 GB (FuP = 64 Kbps) for 399 baht.

Here is that link again: http://www.ais.co.th/3g/th/smartphone-package.aspx?package=Extra-Package#tips

Where are you? All depends on your location with AIS. Lived in Pattaya and Chiang Mai and the service was good, moved to Ban Chang Rayong and upgraded to the new 3G service and could not get any signal in the house. The wife called them up and a few days later our phones went back to the old network. Still bad signal in the house though.

I'm in Ranong...here it reverts to EDGE+...however I travel immensely and when in a 2.1GHz area it locks right

into it and I have no probs. SGS3 rooted, stock 4.2.2 ROM TiTBu & Root Explorer, minus all the factory Samsung

bloatware. "I root my own phones."

Great review and step by step instructions on setting it up. I bought a Truemove-H sim, because at the present time it is the only 3G in my area. The problem is I can't figure out how to set it up. Can anyone out there give me the same sort of step by step directions, thanks.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm in Ranong...here it reverts to EDGE+...however I travel immensely and when in a 2.1GHz area it locks right

into it and I have no probs. SGS3 rooted,

Can you share any details? Pre-paid or post-paid? What APNs are you using? Do you roam onto AIS/One-2-Call's legacy 900 MHz network for voice, text and 2G data? Have you enabled data roaming?

Great review and step by step instructions on setting it up. I bought a Truemove-H sim, because at the present time it is the only 3G in my area. The problem is I can't figure out how to set it up. Can anyone out there give me the same sort of step by step directions, thanks.

Can you share any details? Make and model of phone? Have you subscribed to a mobile data plan? Assuming you've subscribed to a data plan all you really need to do is configure an APN. The ANdroid APN settings for True can be a bit tricky. These work for me on TrueMove-H pre-paid:

(note the intentional mis-spelling of the username as "ture" that works for my SIM, maybe also try "true" if you're having problems, and the odd APN Type: default,supl)

Re-start the phone.

post-9615-0-47930800-1372573208_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-37880400-1372573220_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-37189600-1372573229_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

into it and I have no probs. SGS3 rooted,

Can you share any details? Pre-paid or post-paid? What APNs are you using? Do you roam onto AIS/One-2-Call's legacy 900 MHz network for voice, text and 2G data? Have you enabled data roaming?

Can you share any details? Make and model of phone? Have you subscribed to a mobile data plan? Assuming you've subscribed to a data plan all you really need to do is configure an APN. The ANdroid APN settings for True can be a bit tricky. These work for me on TrueMove-H pre-paid:

(note the intentional mis-spelling of the username as "ture" that works for my SIM, maybe also try "true" if you're having problems, and the odd APN Type: default,supl)

Re-start the phone.

Please refer to post #14 of this thread...I use whatever AIS gave me and can't be bothered with fixing secondary APN's etc. BTW...I also have & use a sat-phone...Iridium Extreme...works everywhere

on this planet.

Edited by sunshine51

Another speed test on AIS 2100 MHz 3G, first time I've cracked 20 Mbps here...

How much of your alloted bandwidth does a speedtest use?

A SWAG would be 0.5% (one half of one percent). This is based on 1 GB, which is not hard-capped.

• 3 months later...

I have the AIS E-Service ap on my iPhone but can only get the UI in Thai though? Have ploughed through dozens of their site pages (stuff rarely seems to be where you'd expect it) and can't find anything about switching this ap to English, if you can that is?

Was it a downloaded ap that your'e using or is it something thats on board the SIM?

Android app., available from the Play Store. I assume you got your iVersion from the iTunes store?

Obviously you can still use the web-based eServices platform, or the standard USSD codes, for some/most account management.

• 1 month later...

You can check/review AIS 2100 MHz 3G (network: 52003) here:

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/th/coverage-checker.aspx#tips

Note that AIS have admitted to some issues re: the rollout of this new service:

"Somchai Lertsutiwong, AIS's chief marketing officer, acknowledged that the current lower-than-advertised mobile broadband service is due to the complicated transition period of the 3G network roll-out.

AIS now has 5,000 3G base stations on the 2100-megahertz frequency, covering 31 major provinces, with the figure rising to 6,000 covering 67 provinces next month. "

My location is Wireless Road, Bangkok.

I will get this SIM back when my colleague leaves next week.

I installed the SIM in my Google Nexus 4 - a more modern phone than the one I used initially for testing (an SGS1), and the speedtest results are below. By far the best result Ive seen across DTAC, TrueMove H and AIS.

AIS/One-2-Call offer EDGE+ accounts, mostly time-based. Obviously if you buy a volume-based plan you would use it up faster with 3G, so you are really paying for volume rather than speed.

I'll follow-up with my colleague's experiences, and additional thoughts/comments, including conjecture on why so many people are having issues with this new AIS 2100 MHz 3G service.

On the speed test that is 17mbps how is that possible when 3G+ only reaches 7.2 max?

HSDPA +, which is what AIS/2100 has deployed, has a theoretical maximum speed of 42.2 Mbps.

Wow! I didn't know thailand had such fast speeds. In singapore we are already using 4G but the theoretical max speed should be 100Mbps but i am not sure anwyay here is my 4G speed. Lord our hspa speeds are only around 7.2 i don't think anyone here those 17mbps speeds if they did there wouldn't be a need to take up 4G and mind you 4G can be slow too.

3019907037.png

• Like 1

dam_n lucky so n' so, you pay for 3G and get 3G, here in Mukdahan have to pay for 3G...but only get Edge, there is NO AIS 3G and NO Edge package, or so I'm told.

Mukdahan...555555

I actually know of someone that comes from that province didn't know where it is and used the old wiki and lo and behold it's bordering laos or cambodia i think.