I want a LOUD phone, because I'm 50% deaf. Ideas?

In general....

Thanks very much to those who have answered the topic and especially to those who have mentioned the brand and number of the phone they use that is loud enough to hear.

I'll be off out again armed with the information supplied and hopefully have something to keep me happy - phone wise - for another couple of years :)

Many other suggestions have been worth reading too, even if they are not always suitable in my particular case, they may be helpful to others who are having difficulties with hearing wai2.gif

• Like 2

When i walk around my garden og house i cant hear my phone too, what i do is, i have a speaker set with a mini Jack pluk connected to the phone so i can play music too, when the phone ring the phone shit down the music, and o can a just the volume as fix for the conversation

There is a phone especially for deaf people called EMPORIA very loud. MY wife hates it because if it rings at night it wakes the whole neighbor hood up. Big lit up ketboard for elderly people no silly toys or games. NO GPRS only SMS and contacts. very simple and robust.

here is the link http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/emporia-connect/4505-6454_7-35619076.html

As others have suggested, hearing aid or rely on vibrate and earphones (Bluetooth or wired), besides, no one else wants to hear you loud ring or your conversation, please think about others. If you really need a louder ring, get an Android based smart phone, download the ring you want, from the phone, onto a computer or create your own ring tone, then using software, a free one is Audacity, you can increase its volume, once you are happy with it save it as an MP3 then upload it to you phones Ring tone folder. You can do this for both ring tones and notification tones. e.g. mail

Edited by Rorri

There is a phone especially for deaf people called EMPORIA very loud. MY wife hates it because if it rings at night it wakes the whole neighbor hood up. Big lit up ketboard for elderly people no silly toys or games. NO GPRS only SMS and contacts. very simple and robust.

I read about those on the RNID website. They sound great but sadly not available here in Thailand that I am aware of.

If I had one that loud I'd have to turn it off / down at night, not that that would be a problem.

When I do next go to the U.K. I'd certainly be considering one of those.

Here is their website

http://www.emporia.eu/en/home/

http://www.emporia.eu/en/products/overview/

• Like 2

I have a slight hearing problem and often do not hear my phone ring, my solution was to put it on vibrate! :-)

YOU nailed it.

discussion over as long as he can talk OK on the phone.

That's the answer.

Vibrate is no good if you are in another room. Hence the topic for a loud phone :)

Most phones have various profiles. What you need to do is select the OUTDOOR profile. This vastly increases both the ringer and the speaker volume. it is set to compensate for a noisy environment thumbsup.gif

+1....Thanks, that helped me a LOT !

You might want to take a look at the Thuraya cellphones at MBK. Longer and heavier than most phones, coloured black with a small stub antenna.

They use Nokia circuitry with a metal reinforced case and doubles as a satellite phone. My sis got one for 1800 baht (if I recall correctly).

It has an approx. 1 inch diameter built in speaker and is extremely loud (louder than most alarm clocks). According to the packaging it is intended of military use.

Interesting how many seem to think the answer for being deaf is a hearing aid......if you are truly 100% deaf then a hearing aid is of zero use....I should know as I have been 100% deaf in one ear for over twenty years.....if all of the nerve endings are dead they are dead and a hearing aid can't do a thing....BUT...the good news is that stem cell research on loss of hearing because of dead nerves is showing great promise to be able to REGROW healthy nerves and restore hearing 100%....it is still several years away but the researchers apparently are making good progress.

Good luck with finding the right phone....being deaf sometimes is no picnic but I guess we all have play the cards we were dealt.

• Like 1

I'm not being rude pattayadingo, what about a hearing aid?

Not rude at all.

But, I've been there and done that. Total faff on with phones etc. Plus all they do - even the computer generated ones - is amplify everything. When everything amplified goes in one ear alone, it causes disorientation. (There will be those who dispute this and those who will agree with me - not going into that argument here) smile.png

You manage and control your environment to live with the deafness in most instances.

For some reason here in Thailand, getting a phone with a decent volume ringtone AND volume to hear people clearly seems to be a problem. I did manage to get the Nokia classic but no longer available. Same with the Samsung - bought in England.

Hence the post smile.png

I cannot be the only deaf old git on the board after all laugh.png

Not many loud phones as you say and hearing aids are variable in their performance, however, you may like to try one of the Phonak range from Eartone. Call Vichai the MD he is very helpful. They're in Sukhumvit 22 BKK. Don't go to the other office! If it doesn't help then it hasn't cost you anything to try it.

Edited by Anon999

Interesting how many seem to think the answer for being deaf is a hearing aid......if you are truly 100% deaf then a hearing aid is of zero use....I should know as I have been 100% deaf in one ear for over twenty years.....if all of the nerve endings are dead they are dead and a hearing aid can't do a thing....BUT...the good news is that stem cell research on loss of hearing because of dead nerves is showing great promise to be able to REGROW healthy nerves and restore hearing 100%....it is still several years away but the researchers apparently are making good progress.

Good luck with finding the right phone....being deaf sometimes is no picnic but I guess we all have play the cards we were dealt.

I can tell you understand :) Sometimes wee need to have been there to do so.

No way to give me back my hearing. No ear drum, no bones, just an empty space. It was removal or die, that simple. But that is life. As you say, we have what we are dealt with and we learn to cope with that. We do not have a sign on our heads saying 'I'm Deaf'. laugh.png

None of those I currently know who are deaf will use a hearing aid. Hearing aids are not all they are cracked up to be.

I have a few friends with very limited hearing too. No picnic for them at times also but they also learn to cope.

I have a new LOUD phone, now.

i-mobile Hitz 14.

Dual sim, dual band, BIG speaker, microSD to 16GB, bluetooth, WAP/GPRS, Camera and MP3 (for loud ringtones to download). Hand free increases the talking volume massively when used. Keypad, not touch screen.

We went to Tesco Lotus today on Pattaya North and saw the i-mobile shop. The g/f explained my needs for a phone and the assistant was extremely helpful. First phone she pulled out worked a treat. G/f phoned the number and I could hear it ring and also hear her talking. Good clarity.

Cost? 950 Baht.

I'd recommend it to anyone with hearing difficulties.

To those who have been helpful in makes and models, thanks, but not all are readily available smile.png

Edited by pattayadingo

I'm not being rude pattayadingo, what about a hearing aid?

Not rude at all.

But, I've been there and done that. Total faff on with phones etc. Plus all they do - even the computer generated ones - is amplify everything. When everything amplified goes in one ear alone, it causes disorientation. (There will be those who dispute this and those who will agree with me - not going into that argument here) smile.png

You manage and control your environment to live with the deafness in most instances.

For some reason here in Thailand, getting a phone with a decent volume ringtone AND volume to hear people clearly seems to be a problem. I did manage to get the Nokia classic but no longer available. Same with the Samsung - bought in England.

Hence the post smile.png

I cannot be the only deaf old git on the board after all laugh.png

Why don't you get a nice little phone girl to handle all that

I have in-canal hearing aids, can hardly hear a phone ring without them in. Having said that, I just bought a Samsung Duos smartphone.......good loud ringer and vibrator. I often use the speaker phone at home.....more convenient than holding and I can hear the sound just fine.

I denied needing hearing aids for 10 or so years......my youngest brother berated me for not getting hearing aids 3 years ago......that did the trick. Like everything, they take getting used to, but they make all the difference in the world.

Money well spent!

Money well spent, but how much money?

Sorry about the long delay in answering.......about 38,000 baht for both.

Here's what convinced me I needed hearing aids: I took our new truck to the dealer and complained that the door-open chime and the blinker sounds were too low and asked them to adjust them higher. A smart young lass checked out the truck and pronounced all well. I asked for another opinion and another lass said the same. Once I got my hearing aids, I knew they were right.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is an issue called hyperacusis, which has been debated quite a lot - the ability to hear some sounds, but not others - audio frequency connection, basically. Some debunk it. I do not. Maybe you should think about what sounds attract your attention more than others and try to find a ring tone that fits you. In my experience, it has nothing to do with volume, just pitch and audible connection. Having spent a number of years in radio and television, I do have practical (but no scientific) knowledge of this.

I am not deaf, but I do have the same problem hearing when there is ambient noise that makes phone conversations almost unintelligible. My best solution for myself is to use ear buds and microphone which fits easily in my pocket. Then I can increase the volume and not bother anyone. You might try this solution. The drawback is that you need to re-insert the ear phones every time you want to answer a call.

Still, when you need to hear well, then you can decide to use the ear phones.

• 2 weeks later...